National perception of Dolphins draft highly positive | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

National perception of Dolphins draft highly positive

57z65s.gif

I like how our roster is coming together. Flores’ first year, in the wake of Gase’s malpractice and mismanagement, we had a total crap roster. Our acquisitions were voluminous and basically used a coarse filter. But now, year by year we are into the fine filter zone.

I think we drafted three good players yesterday. I would have done it differently but it’s not like we got bad players. My first choice would have been to get Barmore at 36 and then keep Eichenberg on the tradeup and then draft a safety in the third round. Maybe Jamar Johnson. I was very interested in Meinerz in the third but, what can you say, Flores was around him all week and passed. I will defer on that.

So how does this look

Waddle
Phillips
Barmore
Eichenberg
J johnson

Otherwise, if they wanted the second round safety and tackle, you could have gotten Jenkins and Moehrig who were both available at the spots we picked.
Dolphins looked gift horse in the mouth on both Jenkins and Moehrig and went 'Nah'.
Their scouting and talent recognition abilities were put right on the table here so if they 'crap out', they know that we know who to blame.
We'll hope theyre right and we'll surely know if theyre not.

Who’s gonna get yards on the ground? We’re missing a stud RB that can take over in the 4th quarter, convert 3rd and short.
They’re trying to get cute with all this trade BS it’s still the NFL and you need a running game
...see OL additions and FA

They just pencil in an A plus for them no matter who they draft it seems :shrug:
They always give them a A after every Draft over the years. Strange that considering all I've been hearing lately is how the Patriots drafting has been average to poor over the last few years. Stinks of bias but im not suprised as I'm still seeing the usual butt kissing by certain media pundits and reporters.
Fins are leaving the Patriots in their wake now and that trend will continue and won't be changing anytime soon imo.

This is just some of the high praise the Dolphins draft is getting nationally.

Not adding one of the top 3 running backs does sting, but Miami added likely added four day one starters so far. Hunter Long I understand is not a real position of need in 2021, but he is really good and is great insurance when it comes to contact extensions for Gesicki and Smythe(though I di expect Gesiki to get a long term deal).

I also think this shows how strong the overall roster has become in recent years under Grier and Flores. The roster only had a few holes entering the draft and now they have the ability to make some picks for the future.

This was a very good draft so far.

Thank you @Nublar7 !

I really respect most of those guys opinions quite a lot, so hearing them all say similar things is quite comforting. At the end of the day, I do like the prospects, and I'm only quibbling about reaching a bit (Waddle & Holland), overpaying a bit (trading up for Eichenberg), the implications of a pick (Hunter Long = not re-signing Mike Gesicki?) or letting a good prospect who is a good team fit go undrafted (OLB/DE Charles Snowden of UVa), all of which were relatively minor things from a draft standpoint. We got 5 good football players who all fit a team need, and that's the most important thing. Each of them fits Coach Flo's systems and personality and profile to be good additions to the team.

It usually takes me a little time to recover from the remorse of my perceptions of missed opportunities. Often my opinions do not change, but my perspective on how to view the draft does. @Nublar7 , your post is helping me get to that point this year. Thanks.

I’m looking at all our possible WR/TE combos that we could put on the field at the same time, and I just don’t see a way we wouldn’t have multiple mismatches with Fuller, Waddle, and any other 2-3 players from that group. Hard to blitz when you have to stretch the coverage that thin.

Couple that with a significantly better paying OL and it adds up to more points per game; many more points.

Back
Top Bottom