NBA 2005 Mock Draft [1st Round] | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NBA 2005 Mock Draft [1st Round]

Just heard fellow Laker Fan Steven A.(Smith) say on ESPN that the Lakers should trade Caron and try to make a deal for Chris Paul(sign and trade or move up). God knows we need a real point guard.I really like this idea.Also awhile back I heard a rumor that the Lakers were going to try to work a deal for Yao Ming, do you hear anything about it?(this was just before the end of the season)

Samphin said:
For the most part I like it, although as a Lakers fan, I can tell you they won't be drafting a SF. They already have Kobe, Caron an dOdom for that spot, its covered. Granted Kobe generally plays the two, but he swings over on occasion. Lamar played the 4 last year but only because that didn't have anyone else. L.A. will either draft a PG or PF. My guess is a PG here and a PF in the second round since there are so many.

Samphin said:
For the most part I like it, although as a Lakers fan, I can tell you they won't be drafting a SF. They already have Kobe, Caron an dOdom for that spot, its covered. Granted Kobe generally plays the two, but he swings over on occasion. Lamar played the 4 last year but only because that didn't have anyone else. L.A. will either draft a PG or PF. My guess is a PG here and a PF in the second round since there are so many.

Lamar Odom is a free agent and didnt play nearly as well as thought...if Villanueva is there he'll be there pick...His stock so far has risen more than anyones other than Martell Webster

Roman529 said:
No way Ike Diogu of Arizona State falls to the #21 spot,,,,NBA Draft Net has him going 5th in the draft.

http://nbadraft.net/profiles/ikediogu.asp

You should get your vision checked again...they have him going at #21 just like I did. They have contacted Diogu and told him if he is there at #21 then this will 100% definitely be there pick...especially since Joe Johnson will be a free agent and with contracts needing to be done in Phoenix then he'll likely go somewhere else!

Hey Buddwalk, Odom will be fine(if he stays,I think he will) if they play him at SF keep Kobe at the 2 spot(with alittle swing).I 'd still like to see LA move up to get Paul we need a legit piont guard IMO.

Buddwalk said:
Lamar Odom is a free agent and didnt play nearly as well as thought...if Villanueva is there he'll be there pick...His stock so far has risen more than anyones other than Martell Webster

*IMPORTANT DRAFT INFO*

Charlotte has contacted Atlanta about moving from #5 overall up to #2 overall and having the shot at taking either Marvin Williams or Chris Paul. This deal might happen more on draft day then anything else because of the simple fact if the bucks take Williams then the hawks will 100% take bogut cause of there urgent need for a skilled big man. [*If no one remembers they drafted Josh Smith and Josh Childress last year and both guys are pinpointed to start...so there need for a SF which marvin williams plays is small] At this point i expect this to happen on draft day cause i really dont think the Bucks can pass on a skilled bigman such as Andrew Bogut as well. The deal will probobly consist of the hawks sending #2 overall to charlotte for #5 overall and Primoz Brezec C and possibly a future draft pick [future draft pick probobly wont be a first]

At #2 imo Charlotte would take Chris Paul imo as well the best player in this draft and the best scorer. It would give them a great player to line up with emeka okafor and give them a solid 1-2 punch...then at #13 I'd either try and move back into the top 10 and compete to get Channing Frye
or just stay put at #13 and take Hakim Warrick!

At #5 imo Atlanta will take either Deron Williams [If hes available] or Raymond Felton...But dont rule out the chance of them grabbing channing frye at #5...cause with Brezec it would allow Frye a year to grow into the system and get adjusted to the speed of the nba​

PHINATIC13 said:
Hey Buddwalk, Odom will be fine(if he stays,I think he will) if they play him at SF keep Kobe at the 2 spot(with alittle swing).I 'd still like to see LA move up to get Paul we need a legit piont guard IMO.

I'm sorry i was wrong Odom is not a free agent this year...but he could possibly be traded...he doesnt really fit into LA that well. The lakers biggest need imo is a Center...after shaq left that was truely there glaring need so look for them to get into the trade wars to get Channing Frye

Buddwalk said:
I'm sorry i was wrong Odom is not a free agent this year...but he could possibly be traded...he doesnt really fit into LA that well. The lakers biggest need imo is a Center...after shaq left that was truely there glaring need so look for them to get into the trade wars to get Channing Frye

I am glad you corrected yourself with the Odom thing. He is not a free agent. The reason he ddn't fit well was because they had him playing the PF spot. He isn't built for that out west. He can't post up the bigger guys. Now, when they shift him to the number 3 next year, he will be a force. He will be able to post up the smaller 3's and runn around the bigger, slower ones. I disagree about him not fitting in. In fact, part of the reason Phil wants to come back is because he likes the dynamic of having Odom and Kobe in the triangle.

I wouldn't judge last year's team on whther or not pieces will fit. There was so much going on that hardly anyone was used right. Mihm did good at center as well. He averaged 10 rebounds a game and could score when needed. I think their biggest need is a Power Forward who can score AND defend and a PG who can distribute. They can get by with Kobe and Odom as their first two options ( much like Jordan and Pippen ) but thye will need a rebounding defensive minded power forward, or a point guard to get them the ball.

Rumors have abounded that Carlos Boozer may become a Laker. I for one, would love to see a starting lineup that looks somewhat similar to this:

PG:Felton
SG: Bryant
SF: Odom
PF: Boozer
C: Mihm

That would be world's better than the starting five they had last year. Just my opinion though and I assume Caron, and some contracts would have to be exchanged for Boozer.

Samphin said:
I am glad you corrected yourself with the Odom thing. He is not a free agent. The reason he ddn't fit well was because they had him playing the PF spot. He isn't built for that out west. He can't post up the bigger guys. Now, when they shift him to the number 3 next year, he will be a force. He will be able to post up the smaller 3's and runn around the bigger, slower ones. I disagree about him not fitting in. In fact, part of the reason Phil wants to come back is because he likes the dynamic of having Odom and Kobe in the triangle.

I wouldn't judge last year's team on whther or not pieces will fit. There was so much going on that hardly anyone was used right. Mihm did good at center as well. He averaged 10 rebounds a game and could score when needed. I think their biggest need is a Power Forward who can score AND defend and a PG who can distribute. They can get by with Kobe and Odom as their first two options ( much like Jordan and Pippen ) but thye will need a rebounding defensive minded power forward, or a point guard to get them the ball.

Rumors have abounded that Carlos Boozer may become a Laker. I for one, would love to see a starting lineup that looks somewhat similar to this:

PG:Felton
PF: Boozer

That would be world's better than the starting five they had last year. Just my opinion though and I assume Caron, and some contracts would have to be exchanged for Boozer.

I'm sorry man Chris Mihm sucks horribly...hes not even 1/10th the center shaq was in la. I think the lakers having two second round picks pretty high in the second they wont gamble on a pg early in the first

your lineup will probobly look like this

They cant pass on Villanueva...he and a couple others are the only real safe picks in this draft. In the second round with one of the picks the lakers will target a pg...I'm thinking Nate Robinson [Washington] or John Gilchrist [Maryland]!

pg - Nate Robinson or John Gilchrist
sg - Kobe Bryant
sf - Lamar Odom
pf - Charlie Villanueva
c - Zydrunas Ilgauskas [I believe they will go after one in free agency having lack of none]

Buddwalk said:
I'm sorry man Chris Mihm sucks horribly...hes not even 1/10th the center shaq was in la. I think the lakers having two second round picks pretty high in the second they wont gamble on a pg early in the first

your lineup will probobly look like this

They cant pass on Villanueva...he and a couple others are the only real safe picks in this draft. In the second round with one of the picks the lakers will target a pg...I'm thinking Nate Robinson [Washington] or John Gilchrist [Maryland]!

pg - Nate Robinson or John Gilchrist
sg - Kobe Bryant
sf - Lamar Odom
pf - Charlie Villanueva
c - Zydrunas Ilgauskas [I believe they will go after one in free agency having lack of none]

Sorry, in my last post I said 10 rebounds, I meant points. Mihm isn't Shaq ( by any stretch of the imagination ) but he isn't the worst either. He was supposed to split time with Vlade but ended up basically playing the whole season. If the Lakers don't trade down out of the #10 psot, they will pick a PG imo., especially if they move up. You have it backwards. PF/C is what is abundant in the draft, not PG. They will either go PG early or get a veteran like Earl Watson/Antonio Daniels/ etc. in FA. I like Jarrett Jack a lot for his defense, but he may be a stretch at the 10 spot.

Villanueva is an option but Z isn't. He will be too expesnive for the MLE imo and like him or not, I think Mihm is your starting Center next year barring a big trade. Ok, another lineup I like:

PG: Watson
PF: Villanueva

Rumors have also flown around that L.A. could trade with Indiana getting the injured Bender ( and his contract ) with the 17 overall for some expiring contracts ( Slava, Atkins etc. ).

Samphin said:
Sorry, in my last post I said 10 rebounds, I meant points. Mihm isn't Shaq ( by any stretch of the imagination ) but he isn't the worst either. He was supposed to split time with Vlade but ended up basically playing the whole season. If the Lakers don't trade down out of the #10 psot, they will pick a PG imo., especially if they move up. You have it backwards. PF/C is what is abundant in the draft, not PG. They will either go PG early or get a veteran like Earl Watson/Antonio Daniels/ etc. in FA. I like Jarrett Jack a lot for his defense, but he may be a stretch at the 10 spot.

Villanueva is an option but Z isn't. He will be too expesnive for the MLE imo and like him or not, I think Mihm is your starting Center next year barring a big trade. Ok, another lineup I like:

Rumors have also flown around that L.A. could trade with Indiana getting the injured Bender ( and his contract ) with the 17 overall for some expiring contracts ( Slava, Atkins etc. ).

Well done...yeah they could probobly bear with mihm if there roster looked like that...im really pulling for the bobcats to be a better team...Im a spurs fan but i started liking basketball maybe 5 years ago and picked them cause tim duncan was the best player...I might really convet to the bobcats because im really getting into basketball with knowledge and all, and i'd really like to see them have a great draft[Also im a real big fan of Emeka Okafor and Chris Paul]. imo theres only 3 guys in the whole draft that can really play the point position...Chris Paul, Deron Williams, and Jarrett Jack. Felton is a very good scorer and a real good bball player but im very skeptical if he can play the pg position in the nba effectively. I think unless the lakers trade up for a pg in the first there not gonna take one at 10.

PhinDude88 said:
I believe your mock draft is pretty fair. But i must tell you this, i am a big Rockets fan and they dont need a PF. Howard is already a good PF for the team. When he was hurt last year, it really effected the game play. The Rockets really need a PG and i think that Jarrett Jack is the guy.

Actually, that's not true; the Rockets DO need a power forward. Howard is a decent 4, but he's not the right guy to pair with Yao Ming. The Rockets need a defense-first, sharp-elbowed, belligerent glass-eater who can keep Yao from getting pushed around under the basket. Their ideal power forward would be Ben Wallace. (Heck, trading for Ron Artest and playing him at the 3 and McGrady at the 2 might work just as well.)

Now, that said, I don't think Ilyasova is that guy, either, and that guy probably isn't even in this draft, so PG is probably the way to go. But I wanted to point that out.

EDIT: I didn't read the posts that followed about the Rockets' PF situation, so my bad. But I think the point remains. I like the Rockets a lot, mostly because I think Yao can be awesome if they give him the chance to do so. So this is a sensitive topic with me.

Buddwalk said:

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/la_lakers.htm

Odom is signed through 2008-9. However, as a player traded in the midst of a multi-year contract, he CAN demand a trade. So, you're kind of right.

Butler + #10 pick probably isn't enough to get Paul. But Odom + #10 pick would probably work.

Samphin said:

That's a team that would struggle for rebounds. Badly. I think Odom needs to be moved. His game regressed badly with Bryant around. He's still got value, though. I'd see if Atlanta would take him and the #10 for the #2.

I'd also be scared to death of Odom and Villanueva in the same lineup. Two headcases who are prone to taking whole games off? No thanks.

Ilgauskas will almost certainly get far more than the MLE. 7 footers who actually have an offensive game are always in high demand.

phunwin said:
http://hoopshype.com/salaries/la_lakers.htm

Odom is signed through 2008-9. However, as a player traded in the midst of a multi-year contract, he CAN demand a trade. So, you're kind of right.

Butler + #10 pick probably isn't enough to get Paul. But Odom + #10 pick would probably work.

But if you trade Odom for Paul, you shoot yourself in the foot. You take away one of the scorers Paul is going to dish it too. Odom has no problem playing second fiddle to Kobe. However, he is better when he has the ball in his hands, as opposed to working without the ball to get a shot. Paul is the kind of player that can distribute while on the run or in a half court set up.

Part of the problem is Kobe. Phil or whoever takes over is going to have to forse Kobe to play without the ball and not pout about it. However, trading Odom for Paul ( essentially ) depletes the fornt court to nothing and leaves you with one viable option to score in Kobe. Kobe will just see double teams all day and the rest of the group won't be large enogh to pick up rebounds or good enough to make teams pay for the double. Odom is, you need to keep him with Kobe.

Samphin said:
But if you trade Odom for Paul, you shoot yourself in the foot. You take away one of the scorers Paul is going to dish it too. Odom has no problem playing second fiddle to Kobe. However, he is better when he has the ball in his hands, as opposed to working without the ball to get a shot. Paul is the kind of player that can distribute while on the run or in a half court set up.

Part of the problem is Kobe. Phil or whoever takes over is going to have to forse Kobe to play without the ball and not pout about it. However, trading Odom for Paul ( essentially ) depletes the fornt court to nothing and leaves you with one viable option to score in Kobe. Kobe will just see double teams all day and the rest of the group won't be large enogh to pick up rebounds or good enough to make teams pay for the double. Odom is, you need to keep him with Kobe.

This is true, but what the Lakers need is something to build around. A core of Bryant and Odom isn't going to do it. A core of Bryant and Paul, however, would be the NBA's best backcourt within a couple years. And honestly, I don't think Odom played that well with Bryant. He regressed tremendously from last season when he went to LA.

Of course, Phil Jax obviously isn't in it for the long haul if he comes back, so if you want to argue against an Odom-Paul trade on those grounds, there's merit to the argument. But long-term, it's clearly best for the franchise.

Back
Top Bottom