NCAA eyes booster's claims Miami players took cash | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NCAA eyes booster's claims Miami players took cash

Whatever you want to believe......I really couldn't care less. I just find fans to be hugely entertaining creatures. They so desperately want whatever institution they've chosen to follow to be clean that they'll see whatever they've chosen to believe. The amount of time and energy people like you put into following a bunch of kids around never ceases to amaze me.

I was in school not too long ago. Anyone who lived anywhere near these guys knew who was wearing or driving or sending home something that the 300 dollar allowance could never buy.

Personally I don't care. A lot of these kids aren't going to make the millions and if someone wants to believe that they will then so be it. But I do care about the image of some universities. Not every school is an academic joke like Alabama....places like Michigan and UNC shouldn't be involved in crap like this.

Conversely, the amount of time and energy jock-sniffers like you put into following around overpaid, pampered millionaires never ceases to amaze me. How some of you are supposed to be grown men, and wear another grown man's name across your back is what I find a little strange. Apparently, that's what it takes to make you FEEL like somebody. As long as they're "professional", that makes them worth it, eh? You're proud to have a "favorite" NFL team, a "favorite" MLB team, a "favorite" NBA team, a "favorite" NHL team, a closet full of worthless jerseys, and no idea what the journey through amateur sports to get there in the first place is all about.

Alabama an academic joke? UNC? Michigan? Tell me where the University of Alabama's student athletes are ranked nationally? UNC? Michigan?

Here, let me help you: Alabama is ranked 2nd in the SEC behind Vanderbilt in APR, and what's left of UNC's program is one spot above Alabama. But who cares that Butch Davis had his own personal tutor doing the schoolwork for his players, right?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/galleries/2011/01/09/smartest-college-sports-teams.html

When Alabama takes the field this September for their first game, 8 players will already have their degrees in hand. You don't hear about stories like this enough because it's not what drives up ratings, or gets "hits" for some pencil pusher's blog or website. How many will UNC have? Michigan?

http://pf.tidefans.com/2011/08/07/diplomas-in-hand-8-players-ready-to-tackle-2011-season/

As a matter of fact, Nick Saban is the one in favor of a new rule that would prevent programs that don't qualify with low APR scores from participating in post season play....

http://alabama.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1250877

You're right, most of the kids that play collegiate football won't ever make it in the NFL, and that's exactly the point that Saban and the University of Alabama try to stress to these kids, in order to prepare them for other avenues in life.

If jock-sniffers like you want a semi-pro league for those who can play football but don't want to go to college and get an education, then they should go start a semi-pro league somewhere.... but you're damn sure not going to use college football for it. Take the "pro" sh*t elsewhere and allow college football a CHANCE to fix itself.

Rogue boosters, slimy agents, and jock-sniffers who don't understand the game and what it's about are intent on ruining collegiate athletics because they want everything to be "semi-pro", or supplement the NFL and professional sports in general. Apparently, the NFL isn't so great after all..... because it doesn't seem to be enough to keep everyone satisfied.

There is something he can do. He can not recruit the players he knows are involved with street agents or shady boosters or whatever. There are plenty of programs out there that win without the help of cash in pockets. Maybe you can't compete for a title without players of that talent level, but you can win games, entertain fans, and build a great institution.

Hey clueless, if Nick Saban dealt with street agents or shady boosters, Keenan Allen would be playing for Alabama right now. He changed his mind at the last second and went to Cal.

Oregon, Cal, LSU, Auburn, etc... are the one's that are constantly tied to using these rogue recruiting services like the one Willie Lyles runs, and paying them to steer recruits. That's how Keenan Allen ended up at Cal, and why LSU, Auburn, and Oregon were all being investigated at the same time for using Lyles service.

Nick Saban doesn't deal with Willie Lyles, or rogue recruiting services.. which is why Bama wasn't tied to any of the scandals.

I want you to read this article, and then I want you to make DAMN sure you click on the red link in the article about Seastrunk calling out Nick Saban. Why did he call out Saban? It's pretty self explanatory here, but it's because he knows Saban doesn't use the rogue recruiting services, and was "hinting" that Saban had lost out on a recruit by doing things the RIGHT way. Some schools have discovered that payments to recruiting services can be a handy "cover" for paying agents to deliver players and steer them to certain schools that are using this method as a means to land top recruits.

http://mrsec.com/2011/03/oregon-investigation-could-lead-back-to-the-sec/

Do yourself a favor, get a clue.

I'll tell you exactly what I hear in this thread.... I hear a bunch of "casual" college football fans that don't really know near what they think they know.... but what else is new...

There is more money flowing through the entire SEC then an alley full of whores in a port visited by a US Warship on payday.

Slimm - bro your normally spot on but it's pure homerism to say that the schools all over the SEC are violating rules but Alabama is squeeky clean and still beating the cheaters. Alabama is dirty, Florida, Miami, Oregon, USC, Miami, Ohio State, Michigan, WVU, Texas, Oklahoma, etc.................

Obviously the system is broken but there is no easy solution. If you give the kids $200 a week, they'll want $2,000.00 They believe they will make millions in the NFL so why in the world would they stop excepting money and services from boosters that far exceed anything the schools could give them.

There is a reason the SEC is so successful right now and it has everything to do with money.

The reason the SEC is so successful is because every team in it has the fanbase and infrastructure to support their programs. The money coming through the SEC is made from tv contracts and bowl bids. All of that money is divided up equally between the 12 schools.... the "little brothers" get the same amount as the Alabama's and LSU's.

That's why the Big-12 dissolved, they weren't in it together and Texas only cares about Texas.

The reason the SEC has the money coming in through tv contracts and bowl bid is because they keep dominating their opponents in out of conference play. They do that by dominating the line of scrimmage, and because they pay their coaches the most money. That's where all the best coaches in college football reside... right here in the SEC.

Ted, the proof is there and has always been there. Nick Saban doesn't have to cheat. The teams in the SEC west like LSU and Auburn that have to compete with Alabama for the SEC title have to cheat BECAUSE of Nick Saban. That's why they're the one's tied to every recruiting scandal out there. I've already shown you the evidence. Anyway you want to look at it, the same schools are tied to the same scandals, and involved with the same people over and over again.

He'll always be the best recruiter in the country as long as other coaches have to play by the same rules as he does. They know they can't compete with him if they all play by the same rules.

Furthermore, you do realize that the SEC is the conference that just voted to ban 7-on-7 football camps to avoid having 3rd party members steer recruits to certain schools?

http://dogbytesonline.com/sec-appears-poised-to-ban-7-on-7-football-events-on-its-campuses-46032/

The SEC just voted to ban these events when they had SEC meeting a few weeks ago. Nick Saban and Alabama are the one's that spearheaded this to begin with.

Slimm, I cant speak for Bama's program because I have never even been to Tuscaloosa. But, I went to WVU and lived in Morgantown for 4 years. I can tell you right now at least 5 players that were violating rules and the college was somehow aiding them.

I know 2 guys who spent quite a great deal of money(at least a great deal for them) on a certain substance. And Im not talking about cheap ****. They would come to a dudes house at least twice a week and purchase a quantity that was along the lines of personal use for 2-6 people. So unless they were selling about 2/3 of the substance at a high price and breaking even or not using the product and just selling it, there is simply no way these guys could afford that unless someone was giving them money. From talking to them, I highly doubt it was their parents money. Also, if they were selling it and not using it, it seems they wouldve purchased a lot more at a time instead of coming back sometimes twice in a night and like I say usually twice a week.

I also had a roomate who tutored a player. The guy could barely read and write. I read one of his papers. Unreal. Im talking 2nd grade level. This guy was maintaining a 3.0 average. GET REAL.

I had classes with several players. One in particular, was in class ONE TIME during the semester. ONE TIME. When I spoke with him at the bar one night, I asked him how he did in the class. He got a B. :lol: I knew him because I had another class with him that he actually attended fairly frequently. He got a C in that one. :lol: Professor mustve told him that he actually had to appear in class in order to get the C that the university informed him that he must give the athlete at a minimum. These classes werent cakewalks. The athlete in question was not intellegent in the least.

Its a ****ing joke dude. Everyone knows it. Players had **** they could take to pass urinalisys that was given to them by someone from the university.

I hung out with a player on numerous occasions watching Monday Night Football. This player is in the NFL. He and I shared the same bookie. :lol: We watched the games at our bookies apartment which was in the same complex as mine. Every week he bet on the Mountaineers as well as other games. I know he never shaved points because he never bet against the mountaineers. We compared picks on numerous occasions.

**** goes on everywhere man. You simply cant convince me that any program is "squeaky clean". Even Sabans. Hell, Bear Bryant practically invented paying players and built the SEC off it from what I read in Junction Boys.

West Virginia also got hit with "failure to monitor" here recently...

Let me see if I understand you here.... You're saying that you know a couple of kids who were doing a substance, and you hung out with them in some apartment somewhere, they weren't in class as much as you... and now you have a bead on every kid, every program, and the ins-and-outs of college football?

Sounds to me like you may have did a little too much of that "substance", Dr. Sanity....:lol:

We all know that there are cheats, liars, crooks, and bums involved with everything... and even in college football. But what you're doing is throwing a blanket over everyone and pidgeon holing... it won't work with me. I've seen the bad and the good..... and I've seen far more good than bad. It just doesn't get the same type of attention and publicity.

Secondly, you need to learn more about recruiting, because that's not how kids get to where they're going most of the time, unless they were involved with one of these rogue recruiting services like Willie Lyles ran.

If you read the junction boys, then you know that EVERY coach cheated back then. He did what other coaches did, he just did it better than they did. He knew the rules and took advantage of them.

Bud Wilkinson was paying players at Oklahoma back then. What you have to realize about that time was you didn't have a limit on scholarships like you do now. Bear's time has to be looked at within the confines of the rule book of that time in place, not today's.

Bear also wasn't allowed to recruit or have black players during that period. He defied racism and integrated the SEC during a time when racial unrest was rampid in the south. Coach Bryant is the REASON many rules were made. At the time, if it wasn't against the rules, it wasn't cheating.

The Junction Boys is just a book written by someone to show more of the rough edges of Bear... if you really want to learn about Bear you need to read his autobiography.

The reason the SEC is so successful is because every team in it has the fanbase and infrastructure to support their programs. The money coming through the SEC is made from tv contracts and bowl bids. All of that money is divided up equally between the 12 schools.... the "little brothers" get the same amount as the Alabama's and LSU's.

That's why the Big-12 dissolved, they weren't in it together and Texas only cares about Texas.

The reason the SEC has the money coming in through tv contracts and bowl bid is because they keep dominating their opponents in out of conference play. They do that by dominating the line of scrimmage, and because they pay their coaches the most money. That's where all the best coaches in college football reside... right here in the SEC.

Ted, the proof is there and has always been there. Nick Saban doesn't have to cheat. The teams in the SEC west like LSU and Auburn that have to compete with Alabama for the SEC title have to cheat BECAUSE of Nick Saban. That's why they're the one's tied to every recruiting scandal out there. I've already shown you the evidence. Anyway you want to look at it, the same schools are tied to the same scandals, and involved with the same people over and over again.

He'll always be the best recruiter in the country as long as other coaches have to play by the same rules as he does. They know they can't compete with him if they all play by the same rules.

Furthermore, you do realize that the SEC is the conference that just voted to ban 7-on-7 football camps to avoid having 3rd party members steer recruits to certain schools?

http://dogbytesonline.com/sec-appears-poised-to-ban-7-on-7-football-events-on-its-campuses-46032/

The SEC just voted to ban these events when they had SEC meeting a few weeks ago. Nick Saban and Alabama are the one's that spearheaded this to begin with.
You know I love reading your analysis and you are obviously a lot closer to the SEC then I am. Hell I am one of the college fans that doesn't delve into the depths or inter workings of a program yet I'll debate the topic to the best of my knowledge.

I have no reason to think Saban is cheating. I have always liked him and there has never been even a sniff of trouble in the programs he has led. But we all know Boosters are the issue and like the SWC experienced in the 70s and early 80s, you don't think it's possible that these kids are flocking to the SEC with dirty money in their pockets?

When Auburn and Oregon rose so quickly the assumption was/is that they are recruiting kids and lining their pockets. The same assumption can be made about a conference that dominates year after year. Granted they are only assumptions but don't forget the NCAA is relying on these schools to self report and that's a joke. With the SEC's recent billion dollar TV deal local economies of SEC universities are benefactors so you have a large amount of funds, both legal and questionable around these campuses.

Again I am not as close to a program as you are but to the casual fan the perception is that Miami is only the tip of the iceberg in what's going on in college football in the southeast.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know I love reading your analysis and you are obviously a lot closer to the SEC then I am. Hell I am one of the college fans that doesn't delve into the depths or inter workings of a program yet I'll debate the topic to the best of my knowledge.

I have no reason to think Saban is cheating. I have always liked him and there has never been even a sniff of trouble in the programs he has led. But we all know Boosters are the issue and like the SWC experienced in the 70s and early 80s, you don't think it's possible that these kids are flocking to the SEC with dirty money in their pockets?

When Auburn and Oregon rose so quickly the assumption was/is that they are recruiting kids and lining their pockets. The same assumption can be made about a conference that dominates year after year. Granted they are only assumptions but don't forget the NCAA is relying on these schools to self report and that's a joke. With the SEC's recent billion dollar TV deal local economies of SEC universities are benefactors so you have a large amount of funds, both legal and questionable around these campuses.

Again I am not as close to a program as you are but to the casual fan the perception is that Miami is only the tip of the iceberg in what's going on in college football in the southeast.

Auburn and Oregon ARE lining kid's pockets and using rogue recruiting services like the one Willie Lyles had to steer recruits. Hell, what do you think the point of all these posts were I just made? So was LSU, Cal, etc...

Nick Saban and Alabama are NOT. These other programs have to do it to compete with him. That's not homer talk, that's a fact.

Auburn has been trying to buy a championship for 50 years, Ted. They finally pulled it off last year with Cam Newton. I know you don't know the inner workings of the SEC or college football, I'm trying to show you. It doesn't matter what your opinion is when you don't even understand exactly what you have an opinion of.

I know damn well what I'm talking about, and I have no idea what gave you the idea that I needed confirmation from you or anybody else to tell me whether or not I know what I'm talking about.

Furthermore, you seem to think this is something that doesn't take place anywhere except the SEC or in the south.... which even you know enough to know that isn't the case.

Programs having to self report violations has nothing to do with it. A program's compliance department provides whatever evidence they have after they've completed their own investigation. The NCAA looks at the evidence and decides if it's thorough enough, or if they need to get involved and do their own investigation. Where the system is flawed is that the program is held responsible for violations whether they were guilty of it or not. There's nothing and nobody to punish boosters, and rogue agents who pursue these kids out just to hand them money.

If a coach gets wind that a violation taking place is even a POSSIBILITY, it's his responsibility to report it and let the compliance department take care of it. You think Nick Saban wanted Marcel Dareus down in south Florida at some agent's party? Hell no... and as soon as he got wind of it, he reported it.... even if it was going to mean Dareus had to sit out games, which he did.

Nebraska just self reported textbook violations a few months ago. The EXACT same textbook violations that Saban reported when he first got to Alabama. It didn't even happen under his watch, it happened under Mike Shula. Alabama had to vacate wins because of it, Nebraska hasn't had to vacate any wins... and it was the exact same violation.

The NCAA's lack of consistency is the other issue.

Oregon, LSU, Auburn, Nebraska, Ohio St., USC, North Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia Tech, Miami, Boise St., Arizona St., Florida St., UCONN, Michigan, West Virginia, etc... have ALL either been under investigation for the football or basketball programs, are currently under investigation, or have already been investigated and have been handed down punishment already from anything ranging from secondary (minor) infractions.... to major scandals.

It's not an SEC issue.... the SEC just plays a superior brand of football.

I think we can pretty much agree that there needs to be some type of pay scale for collegiate athletes, ones at least in Division I. Of course it is wrong to take money/gifts from boosters, but what the NCAA fails to understand is what these players have been through, where they have lived, etc. Paying collegiate athletes would make college sports much more competitive, and while it wouldnt rid schools of these dirty boosters, it would most certainly clean it up a bit. Im not saying that they need to be paid millions of dollars, but most of us who have been to college, without the help of parents, know its tough financially.

No, we won't agree on that. They need to bridge the gap between what the full cost of attending a university is, and the value of athletic scholarships. A couple thousand dollars or whatever it is...

Strippers, hookers, rims, abortions, night clubs, sports cars, etc.... that's not a University's responsibility, and that's not why you attend college. These kids are still going to take all that if some booster is offering it to them whether they're allowed to get paid or not. Paying players doesn't eliminate the problem, and won't make college football more competitive.

All that does is increase the gap between the haves and the have nots.

The kids that are attending college and playing sports on scholarships are getting their education paid for. They don't need all the "bling" to survive in college and get an education. Where they come from or what their parents have or don't have is irrelevant. They're getting what they need, they just want more.

They want to live the life of a professional athlete while they're in college and supposed to be getting an education. If you're coming from nothing, having a roof over your head, meals to eat, and getting an education all paid for would be more than enough.... you would think.

Coming from nothing doesn't provide kids already receiving these things the right to strippers, "bling", sports cars, etc. from boosters when they know it's wrong to begin with, and will only get the program in a lot of trouble once they're caught. It just boils down to people who are all about themselves and care nothing about the university they're supposed to be representing.

The reality is that whoever wrote that SI article back in the mid 90's about Miami needing to drop football if they want to save their university may have been dead on.

Miami is a small private school trying to run a big time football program.... and they need to just admit they can't do it without cheating. They don't have the fanbase or the infrastructure to sustain it the right way.

University of Miami never had a football program to begin with, it was given to them.

I'm not in favor of the death penalty here because the DP has too many unintended consequences, but the fact is Miami might be better in FCS.

Alabama an academic joke? UNC? Michigan? Tell me where the University of Alabama's student athletes are ranked nationally? UNC? Michigan?

Here, let me help you: Alabama is ranked 2nd in the SEC behind Vanderbilt in APR, and what's left of UNC's program is one spot above Alabama. But who cares that Butch Davis had his own personal tutor doing the schoolwork for his players, right?

I was referring to the students that attend school to get an education. I know what degrees professional aspirants get and I know what classes they take. I knew one basketball player over the course of 6 yrs that got a real degree, and that was Melvin Scott, a guy who knew he was never playing big money pro ball. So yes, UNC does graduate its players and they do get decent grades, but that means absolutely nothing.

What concerns me as an alum is the image of the institution. A degree from a university only has as much value as the reputation of a university implies. A person with a piece of paper with Harvard printed on it is worth a hell of a lot more than a UNC grad. That is determined not only by the quality of students attending the school but also by public perception, which rates an institution like UNC well above Alabama in academic terms.

When Alabama takes the field this September for their first game, 8 players will already have their degrees in hand. You don't hear about stories like this enough because it's not what drives up ratings, or gets "hits" for some pencil pusher's blog or website. How many will UNC have? Michigan?

Every basketball player gets a diploma unless they transfer.....that's pretty much been the policy since the days of Dean. Felton, McCants, May, Marvin....even Forte came back and took summer classes to complete their degrees after turning pro. And to be fair a few of them did put a little effort into it. McCants was always a strange one. Felton on the other hand was a pro the minute he stepped onto campus, and had no interest in school. So I guess you could say they got an education....in what I don't know. They got the piece of paper at least.

If jock-sniffers like you want a semi-pro league for those who can play football but don't want to go to college and get an education, then they should go start a semi-pro league somewhere.... but you're damn sure not going to use college football for it. Take the "pro" sh*t elsewhere and allow college football a CHANCE to fix itself.

Rogue boosters, slimy agents, and jock-sniffers who don't understand the game and what it's about are intent on ruining collegiate athletics because they want everything to be "semi-pro", or supplement the NFL and professional sports in general. Apparently, the NFL isn't so great after all..... because it doesn't seem to be enough to keep everyone satisfied.

You simply cannot take a person worth millions and force them to accept minimum wage without creating a market for off the books cash transfers. You can't fix that with more regulations or sterner coaches or more conscientious players.

Auburn and Oregon ARE lining kid's pockets and using rogue recruiting services like the one Willie Lyles had to steer recruits. Hell, what do you think the point of all these posts were I just made? So was LSU, Cal, etc...

Nick Saban and Alabama are NOT. These other programs have to do it to compete with him. That's not homer talk, that's a fact.

Auburn has been trying to buy a championship for 50 years, Ted. They finally pulled it off last year with Cam Newton. I know you don't know the inner workings of the SEC or college football, I'm trying to show you. It doesn't matter what your opinion is when you don't even understand exactly what you have an opinion of.

I know damn well what I'm talking about, and I have no idea what gave you the idea that I needed confirmation from you or anybody else to tell me whether or not I know what I'm talking about.

Furthermore, you seem to think this is something that doesn't take place anywhere except the SEC or in the south.... which even you know enough to know that isn't the case.

Programs having to self report violations has nothing to do with it. A program's compliance department provides whatever evidence they have after they've completed their own investigation. The NCAA looks at the evidence and decides if it's thorough enough, or if they need to get involved and do their own investigation. Where the system is flawed is that the program is held responsible for violations whether they were guilty of it or not. There's nothing and nobody to punish boosters, and rogue agents who pursue these kids out just to hand them money.

If a coach gets wind that a violation taking place is even a POSSIBILITY, it's his responsibility to report it and let the compliance department take care of it. You think Nick Saban wanted Marcel Dareus down in south Florida at some agent's party? Hell no... and as soon as he got wind of it, he reported it.... even if it was going to mean Dareus had to sit out games, which he did.

Nebraska just self reported textbook violations a few months ago. The EXACT same textbook violations that Saban reported when he first got to Alabama. It didn't even happen under his watch, it happened under Mike Shula. Alabama had to vacate wins because of it, Nebraska hasn't had to vacate any wins... and it was the exact same violation.

The NCAA's lack of consistency is the other issue.

Oregon, LSU, Auburn, Nebraska, Ohio St., USC, North Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia Tech, Miami, Boise St., Arizona St., Florida St., UCONN, Michigan, West Virginia, etc... have ALL either been under investigation for the football or basketball programs, are currently under investigation, or have already been investigated and have been handed down punishment already from anything ranging from secondary (minor) infractions.... to major scandals.

It's not an SEC issue.... the SEC just plays a superior brand of football.

Everybody cheats but Alabama? Got It. SEC west teams cheat because everyone is trying to keep up with saban? Got it. If this wasn't so insanely funny it would be sad.

Miami should be an FCS school? Great analysis!

Everybody cheats but Alabama? Got It. SEC west teams cheat because everyone is trying to keep up with saban? Got it. If this wasn't so insanely funny it would be sad.

Miami should be an FCS school? Great analysis!

Do you have something to tie Nick Saban or Alabama to any of these recruiting scandals the way Auburn, LSU, Oregon, etc. are? If not, you're wasting time.

Miami was homecoming fodder for everyone in college football until the early 80's. They're a small little private school trying to run a big time football program and they simply don't have the funding, fanbase, or infrastructure to sustain it the right way. They've proven it time and time and time again over the past 3 decades. They can't be relevant in big time college football without boosters like Luther Campbell and Shapiro throwing around millions of dollars to keep it afloat.

I'm not trashing Miami, trust me... I'm being honest with all of you. You're other alternative is likely the death penalty.

The death penalty didn't kill SMU, what it did was put them back to what they really were to begin with. Which was a lower tier program in an irrelevent conference. SMU was at least competing for national championships when they were hit with the DP... hitting Miami with the death penalty is rather pointless because they're not relevant to begin with.

This is a University who's higher ups all looked the other way while the football program allowed to behave this way. They're all complicit... Shalala, Paul Dee, Hocutt... all of them.

Oregon, Cal, LSU, Auburn, etc... are the one's that are constantly tied to using these rogue recruiting services like the one Willie Lyles runs, and paying them to steer recruits.

Whoa, whoa WHOA.

LSU paid $6,000 to his scouting service for tape on Zach Mettenberger's JUCO career. That's a perfectly legal transaction. We met with the NCAA, produced the tapes and accounting records. LSU has not "consistently" used rogue services in order to steer recruits. In fact, NONE of the names accused of knowing Lyles personally and following his persuasion ended up going to LSU.

Oregon paid $25K for whatever it is they got. They are being investigated for the Lyles stuff. LSU is in the clear and that case is closed.

Back
Top Bottom