NCAA eyes booster's claims Miami players took cash | Page 31 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NCAA eyes booster's claims Miami players took cash

I assume then it has to be proven unanimously by other SEC schools? Because if it's a majority vote I can't see Florida wielding enough power to stop it.
No, its not a unanimous vote. I think it requires 9/12 to add someone to the SEC.

VT would add more to the TV market but FSU would add more to the conference's prestige. I don't think Florida would try to keep FSU out anyway... they already have to play us every year anyway.

No, its not a unanimous vote. I think it requires 9/12 to add someone to the SEC.

VT would add more to the TV market but FSU would add more to the conference's prestige. I don't think Florida would try to keep FSU out anyway... they already have to play us every year anyway.
FSU is a far more attractive program then VT. No way Florida could block FSU from joining.

How? Va Tech has been a superior program to FSU for a decade.

FSU is a far more attractive program then VT. No way Florida could block FSU from joining.
Yeah, I don't even see any good reason that Florida would oppose it. FSU and them are already on an even playing field for recruiting and I don't think that recruits really care about conference as much as they care about playing in big games, which they get to do at either school.

Virginia Tech is a nerd school... they just don't fit in with the culture of the SEC. FSU has great tailgates, parties, greek life, beautiful women and is located in a truly "southern" town. Va Tech can't compete on a cultural level as far as being a "fit" in the SEC.

Virginia Tech can't compete when it comes to prestige or being as big of a name either. They've never won a national title and have not sent very many guys to the league. Vick is the only good player I can think of from Va Tech off hand.

You can say what you want, but playing in the SEC is a recruiting advantage all SEC schools have other other teams. The amount of tv time and publicity they get far exceeds every other conference. The sec inviting other schools has nothing to do with your views on how prestigious FSU is, it has to do with adding $$'s to the bottom line. FSU has to be able to bring in an additional $25 million in revenue to make it worth while for the sec, and they can't do that. You get no new tv contracts because of fsu, but you do get big time $$'s for Virgina Tech. You ever been to a game at Lane stadium? It's a pretty damn good atmosphere. I don't know the # for certain, but Va Tech has something like 30 guys playing in the nfl right now, that's not too bad. What exactly is a nerd school? Show me a school in the sec that doesn't have good academics....that's what I thought.

You are looking at this from a fan's perspective instead of what's best for the sec.....fsu adds nothing to the sec.

You can say what you want, but playing in the SEC is a recruiting advantage all SEC schools have other other teams. The amount of tv time and publicity they get far exceeds every other conference. The sec inviting other schools has nothing to do with your views on how prestigious FSU is, it has to do with adding $$'s to the bottom line. FSU has to be able to bring in an additional $25 million in revenue to make it worth while for the sec, and they can't do that. You get no new tv contracts because of fsu, but you do get big time $$'s for Virgina Tech. You ever been to a game at Lane stadium? It's a pretty damn good atmosphere. I don't know the # for certain, but Va Tech has something like 30 guys playing in the nfl right now, that's not too bad. What exactly is a nerd school? Show me a school in the sec that doesn't have good academics....that's what I thought.

You are looking at this from a fan's perspective instead of what's best for the sec.....fsu adds nothing to the sec.

Hit the nail on the head. Amazing how delusional he is concerning FSU's prestige. The SEC doesn't care about a school that's been irrelevant for a decade and won't be bringing in much of a fanbase since the state of Florida is divided between 3 top programs, and one of them is already in the SEC. They want Texas A&M for the Texas market, not for the team. Same can be said about Missouri and VA Tech.

1. If you don't know what the difference between a "nerd" school and a good academic school is, then I can't explain it to you. FSU is a good academic school... but not a nerd school. The same can be said for South Carolina, Bama, Vandy, Kentucky, Florida, Clemson, etc.

2. The TV contracts are certainly part of the equation, but they will base their expansion decisions on other things as well.

3. FSU is a prestigious program. Only an idiot would say otherwise. It was a rough decade, just like it was for Michigan, Miami, and Notre Dame. That doesn't take away from a school's prestige, at least not by the conventional definition. National Championships, famous games, great players and coaches, etc. are what makes a program prestigious.

4. This is all speculation, we'll see what happens. I think that if the super-conference thing happens (which I hope it does) then it will be very interesting. I'm not saying that FSU will definitely be added to the SEC, but they will be part of the conversation (as they are every time the SEC expands.)

1. If you don't know what the difference between a "nerd" school and a good academic school is, then I can't explain it to you. FSU is a good academic school... but not a nerd school. The same can be said for South Carolina, Bama, Vandy, Kentucky, Florida, Clemson, etc.

2. The TV contracts are certainly part of the equation, but they will base their expansion decisions on other things as well.

3. FSU is a prestigious program. Only an idiot would say otherwise. It was a rough decade, just like it was for Michigan, Miami, and Notre Dame. That doesn't take away from a school's prestige, at least not by the conventional definition. National Championships, famous games, great players and coaches, etc. are what makes a program prestigious.

4. This is all speculation, we'll see what happens. I think that if the super-conference thing happens (which I hope it does) then it will be very interesting. I'm not saying that FSU will definitely be added to the SEC, but they will be part of the conversation (as they are every time the SEC expands.)

I laughed.

Back on topic. The SEC isn't looking for prestige, they're looking for money and popularity/tv market. Not sure where FSU stand money wise, but it's not better than Texas A&M. As far as popularity/TV market, FSU offers nothing in that department.

1. VA Tech is a nerd school? Ok, got it.
2. Money is the only factor for these decisions. college football is a big business and the other schools aren't going to take a smaller amount of money to bring fsu in...and that's exactly what would happen. mike slive can't go back to the bargaining table with the networks because of a fsu addition to the conference. again, expansion for the sec is all about expanding their tv markets, and fsu doesn't bring any markets the sec doesn't already own.
3. FSU is a very good program, but only 2 national titles and a pretty bad run the last decade doesn't make prestigious.
4. They may be a part of the conversation everytime the SEC expands because they make themselves part of the conversation. They, rightfully so, badly want to be a part of the sec.

Just gotta take the homer glasses off and it becomes clear. And if you want to fire back with anything about Miami, trust me, I'm a realist and understand that Miami will never be a part of the sec because they don't offer any $$ much like fsu.

Back
Top Bottom