Negatives from Tonight's Game vs Jax | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Negatives from Tonight's Game vs Jax

Botched the 2020 second round, hunt and davis? It’s still early but with a late first and two seconds you gotta come out with 1 impact player... no LB? jury still out on Noah. He’s playing a lot when he wasn’t expected to, hope it translates to quick development. You can tell he cares and competes

The obvious problems our backers have fitting for the run, over omitting to the wrong hole, getting caught in the wash, and tackling. At least they did better rushing the QB.

Raekwon Davis is who many of us thought he was. Dude just gets no push. I saw one play where the Jags guard had him engaged for like 8 seconds and Davis just didn't go anywhere. The good news is while that seems like another wasted second round pick, getting Kindley in the fourth makes up for it. I dinged his grade a bit because of the Auburn game but he looks like he belongs.

I don't know how many times I've said this but I'll say it again. Take a chance on the DL guys which some juice. That is what translates. It's what we did with Strowbridge. You take a chance on those guys every year I guarantee it won't be long before you find a Grady Jarrett or Javon Hargreave. Hell, it's what led the Jaguars to taking DaVon Hamilton and he certainly flashed in comparison to our guy.

I liked the pick. I thought Davis was better than this. Maybe I defaulted too much to his early impressions at Alabama. I tend to do that but it is in regard to later round value, a major college sleeper type who is better than he's looked recently. Davis didn't do anything recently but was selected early anyway.

I don't care about overall production right now. He needs to flash rare ability or strength on occasion and it isn't happening. He's a big guy who is mostly just out there.

Tall defensive tackles don't thrill me to begin with. I've emphasized that with Jordan Phillips and many others. It is very true that active disruptive types like Grady Jarrett are where the focus should be. Still difficult to believe Jarrett lasted until the 5th round.

I didn't think the 2020 draft was great in terms of value interior guys with disruptive push. I looked and looked but didn't find much. I loved DaVon Hamilton. He was oft mentioned in the Draft Forum. That's a different type entirely, a clogger type with occasional upfield push. It's not out of question that Hamilton in the 3rd round turns out to be every bit as good as Wilkins in the 1st round. Hamilton really looked like major college sleeper value at one point but then properly moved up the boards to early 3rd round instead of 4th or 5th where he had been proposed earlier.

Botched the 2020 second round, hunt and davis? It’s still early but with a late first and two seconds you gotta come out with 1 impact player... no LB? jury still out on Noah. He’s playing a lot when he wasn’t expected to, hope it translates to quick development. You can tell he cares and competes

All good points. Noah reminds me of Illinois version of Vontae Davis in some respects. He really wants it and you can also sense the arrogance. Not polished yet. C.J. Henderson, on the other hand, is more polished but was kind of sulking out there last night. I think he was stunned at being exposed like that.

Noah is going to battle and battle. I wish they ran drills with him where his head was always turned back to the football, so he'd get a feel for that. At his stature and style he's going to have lots of passes simply plucked out of the air above his helmet if he insists on never turning around. That's why a Diggs matchup is a nightmare for him.

If Noah instead of Howard had been covering Conley on that interception last night, the ball would have hit him in the back.

Several people I know were very high on Robert Hunt. Also a guy I respect on a different site. I'll hold onto that. Currently his frame looks weak. He's lost midsection fat from college but not transferred it to upper body strength. I viewed him as guard in college. Based on his frame it seems obvious Miami is grooming him to tackle.

The biggest negative for me is playing bleed the clock with 14 minutes left in the game. Against a team that was playing better, that ultra conservative stuff with so much time remaining in the game comes back to bite you
IMO, it depends on the team you are playing, perieved matchups, etc.

Had webeen in that situation against KC, or Baltimore, maybe we play it less conservatively.

If Fitz continued slinging it around, and it resulted in a pick6, we would have ppl bitching about that too.

I'm not big on the, so called, "prevent defense", and they did shut it down a bit early, it's a fine line to walk.

I liked the pick. I thought Davis was better than this. Maybe I defaulted too much to his early impressions at Alabama. I tend to do that but it is in regard to later round value, a major college sleeper type who is better than he's looked recently. Davis didn't do anything recently but was selected early anyway.

I don't care about overall production right now. He needs to flash rare ability or strength on occasion and it isn't happening. He's a big guy who is mostly just out there.

Tall defensive tackles don't thrill me to begin with. I've emphasized that with Jordan Phillips and many others. It is very true that active disruptive types like Grady Jarrett are where the focus should be. Still difficult to believe Jarrett lasted until the 5th round.

I didn't think the 2020 draft was great in terms of value interior guys with disruptive push. I looked and looked but didn't find much. I loved DaVon Hamilton. He was oft mentioned in the Draft Forum. That's a different type entirely, a clogger type with occasional upfield push. It's not out of question that Hamilton in the 3rd round turns out to be every bit as good as Wilkins in the 1st round. Hamilton really looked like major college sleeper value at one point but then properly moved up the boards to early 3rd round instead of 4th or 5th where he had been proposed earlier.

Yeah, I loved Hamilton. Jaguars actually had a really nice draft.

I'm eager to see Strowbridge get his chance. I think he'll impress on third down.

Elandon Roberts gave you more in that game than he gave you in the opener. I will say that. The coaching staff seems to have figured out the off ball lb rotation in a way that seems to make the most sense now after Thursday. I saw a lot of rotation.

It may have been because of what the jags were showing personnel wise or it may be the theme of the future. Regardless I’d stick with a ton of rotation in that off ball lb level.

Situational and package ask. Ain’t nothing playing at the kind of clip where it should stay on the field every down and every package

Teams are built around the QB, protecting the QB (LT), rushing the QB (Edge), and shutdown corners. You could say we addressed that in the draft with Tua and Jackson, but left edge rusher off the list as well as offensive help for Tua. Really needed help at RB and there were tons of good options available. Plus we had flexibility with so many picks to move up and down and instead stood pat. Breida at RB the jury is still out, and Hunt and Davis have to be impact players to make this draft a success along with Tua. With that many 1’s and 2’s we had to hit players for the future.

Elandon Roberts gave you more in that game than he gave you in the opener. I will say that. The coaching staff seems to have figured out the off ball lb rotation in a way that seems to make the most sense now after Thursday. I saw a lot of rotation.

It may have been because of what the jags were showing personnel wise or it may be the theme of the future. Regardless I’d stick with a ton of rotation in that off ball lb level.

Situational and package ask. Ain’t nothing playing at the kind of clip where it should stay on the field every down and every package
I mean the defense improved because the jags had to start being more aggressive than they wanted. Left some chances for us to make plays.

The issue is that not every team will spot us a 28-7 lead at the half. Even then we struggled to get pressure and make plays. You see davis blow up his man on the goal line but everyone else is getting run over. They have to figure out the defensive line because they have been handled for the majority of these three games.

Overall we have no played a complete game on either end of the ball and that is my biggest concern

Back
Top Bottom