Negatives from Tonight's Game vs Jax | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Negatives from Tonight's Game vs Jax

I was basically impressed by the play of the team for the most part. The OL though did seem to let down in the second half as the Jags were able to shut down the run and the offense seemed to bog down after a great first half. I know Howard didn’t have a lot of blocking on his few run attempts but I really don’t see much of a burst from him and it appears his opportunities this year will only be when the Dolphins have a first and goal from the opponents 1 yard line.
Otherwise the defense played much better and the coaching staff quickly got the team ready to play on a short week of practice.

Raekwon Davis is who many of us thought he was. Dude just gets no push. I saw one play where the Jags guard had him engaged for like 8 seconds and Davis just didn't go anywhere. The good news is while that seems like another wasted second round pick, getting Kindley in the fourth makes up for it. I dinged his grade a bit because of the Auburn game but he looks like he belongs.

I don't know how many times I've said this but I'll say it again. Take a chance on the DL guys which some juice. That is what translates. It's what we did with Strowbridge. You take a chance on those guys every year I guarantee it won't be long before you find a Grady Jarrett or Javon Hargreave. Hell, it's what led the Jaguars to taking DaVon Hamilton and he certainly flashed in comparison to our guy.

Raekwon Davis is who many of us thought he was. Dude just gets no push. I saw one play where the Jags guard had him engaged for like 8 seconds and Davis just didn't go anywhere. The good news is while that seems like another wasted second round pick, getting Kindley in the fourth makes up for it. I dinged his grade a bit because of the Auburn game but he looks like he belongs.

I don't know how many times I've said this but I'll say it again. Take a chance on the DL guys which some juice. That is what translates. It's what we did with Strowbridge. You take a chance on those guys every year I guarantee it won't be long before you find a Grady Jarrett or Javon Hargreave. Hell, it's what led the Jaguars to taking DaVon Hamilton and he certainly flashed in comparison to our guy.

Waaaaaaaaaaaay too early to make this judgement. If you didn't see Davis flash a couple times last night, you simply missed it.

I saw one play where Raekwon Davis walked the Center right back into the QBs lap. I actually noticed him last night for the first time.

My only negative is that we tried to kill the clock the entire 2nd half. Fitz only threw 6 passes in the 2nd half...we tried to run the ball like it was late in the 4th quarter. I would prefer we keep attacking till late in the 4th quarter. Against a good team, that strategy would have cost us the game.

My nitpicky thing is that we need to get better in the red zone. We scored every time we were there but it seemed like we struggled to get in the end zone most of the time. Those goalline runs were only netting us 1 yard or no gains for the most part. You have to be able to power your way into the end zone. Need better push from the O-line. I know that's a work in progress but hopefully, that gets better as the season goes on.

Key areas of need for next year imo.

Edge rusher - needs to be 1a or 1b in FA and the draft
Lb help - Parsons would help a ton in this defense
RB - need a dynamic playmaker to help out with our offense.
WR help - need someone who can take pressure off DVP

With so many picks last year we could have grabbed CD Lamb and Dobbins and kept most of our picks. SMH.

There’s zero reason to sit tua with the level of oline play we are getting.

None.

Remains very frustrating

Key areas of need for next year imo.

Edge rusher - needs to be 1a or 1b in FA and the draft
Lb help - Parsons would help a ton in this defense
RB - need a dynamic playmaker to help out with our offense.
WR help - need someone who can take pressure off DVP

With so many picks last year we could have grabbed CD Lamb and Dobbins and kept most of our picks. SMH.
The Dolphins did not go into the draft to upgrade the skill positions. They intended to upgrade the offensive line and the defense and that is where they allocated their draft selections. They had several opportunity to draft Dobbins and they didn’t. They also would have still drafted Jackson even if Lamb was still still on the board.
It would have been great if they they had drafted both Lamb and Dobbins but they decided to go in another direction. I expect they will use the 2021 draft to select a RB and a WR in the early rounds and hopefully the will also select a pass rushing DE and an impact LB.

None.

Remains very frustrating
I was fearful the day they brought in chan Gailey. I get flores is grooming his coordinators with veteran leadership, but let's not act like Fitzpatrick didn't have a say at this point. The fact we leave a rookie on the bench for a 37 year old who is 57-85 as a starter is really effing dumb. Where is this possibly going other than delaying the inevitable?

I was fearful the day they brought in chan Gailey. I get flores is grooming his coordinators with veteran leadership, but let's not act like Fitzpatrick didn't have a say at this point. The fact we leave a rookie on the bench for a 37 year old who is 57-85 as a starter is really effing dumb. Where is this possibly going other than delaying the inevitable?

When he took that helmet to helmet I was like this might be our chance.

But of course he popped up like a kid in a candy store. They are running him to a lot of contact by design though even so...

It looks like it’s gonna take medical for him to be pulled any time soon.

So the agonizing wait continues.

None.

Remains very frustrating
Flores has made it very clear from the beginning that his goal is to win. At this time he obviously feels that Fitzpatrick gives the Dolphins the best chance of winning and that is why Tua isn’t playing. I have no doubt that when Flores and Gailey feel Tua gives the Dolphins a better opportunity to win games, he will be the starter and Fitzpatrick will be his backup.

The real reason mahomes sat was bc KC was a playoff team and super bowl hopeful w/ out him. They were fine w/ Alex Smith. Then during that playoff game Alex smith choked and it was mahomes time. Was going to be anyways unless they won a super bowl

this coaching staff likely has playoff hopes w/ fitz. I don’t think you’ll see tua until that changes

I saw one play where Raekwon Davis walked the Center right back into the QBs lap. I actually noticed him last night for the first time.

My only negative is that we tried to kill the clock the entire 2nd half. Fitz only threw 6 passes in the 2nd half...we tried to run the ball like it was late in the 4th quarter. I would prefer we keep attacking till late in the 4th quarter. Against a good team, that strategy would have cost us the game.

My nitpicky thing is that we need to get better in the red zone. We scored every time we were there but it seemed like we struggled to get in the end zone most of the time. Those goalline runs were only netting us 1 yard or no gains for the most part. You have to be able to power your way into the end zone. Need better push from the O-line. I know that's a work in progress but hopefully, that gets better as the season goes on.

I was complaining to myself on those 1st or 2nd and short. Put in Howard and the D plays run. Great time for play-action

The real reason mahomes sat was bc KC was a playoff team and super bowl hopeful w/ out him. They were fine w/ Alex Smith. Then during that playoff game Alex smith choked and it was mahomes time. Was going to be anyways unless they won a super bowl

this coaching staff likely has playoff hopes w/ fitz. I don’t think you’ll see tua until that changes

With the way the oline plays the ceiling on this season would be a lot higher with tua.

That pass to grant I mean really? That ball should be on him once he makes that final cut before he even turns. Not some flutter ball where he has to go to ground diving to make the catch.

And the gesicki crosser was behind him. Given what I saw he should have gone what 20-21 and the only one a tipped ball at the los where ideally he fits it thru that window in the first place.

Tua could have executed any of that passing game ask in his sleep.

Stop routes where dvps waiting for the ball while the defender recovers.

Back
Top Bottom