Never Mind The Hc, Which Players Should Be Back For 2019? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Never Mind The Hc, Which Players Should Be Back For 2019?

Cutting Tannehill after June first would be my way to go. The dead money would "only" be a little over 5mill for 2019. The dead money in 2020 would be 13mill but he'd be the only player on the books for dead money so it'd be ok to do it then.

I think his dead money for 2020 is only around $7-8 million, I may be wrong but the way I understood it was that we could either take the full cap hit in 2019 of $13 million by cutting him prior to June 1st or split it over 2 years by waiting till after that date.

My preference would be to take the full hit in 2019 because in all honesty it's difficult to make a case to not move on from him within the next few years, 2019 is unlikely to be a championship season, so why not get on with the rebuild as quick as possible and clear the cap space for 2020 and on wards.

I think his dead money for 2020 is only around $7-8 million, I may be wrong but the way I understood it was that we could either take the full cap hit in 2019 of $13 million by cutting him prior to June 1st or split it over 2 years by waiting till after that date.

My preference would be to take the full hit in 2019 because in all honesty it's difficult to make a case to not move on from him within the next few years, 2019 is unlikely to be a championship season, so why not get on with the rebuild as quick as possible and clear the cap space for 2020 and on wards.
Well, I'm good with him getting cut after this year but the reason I'd take the smaller dead money hit of 5mill in 2019 is the fact that we already will have 13mill on dead money for Suh so that'd be 26mill + just on those two guys while in 2020 we have nobody due any dead money so taking the 13 mill for Tannehill in 2020 makes more sense, secially when the cap will probably go up.

CK ran a mock draft on one of the simulators that seemed too good to be true. We need that kind of infusion of talent.

The simulators always seem too good to be true, especially this far removed from the draft when name recognition is everything.

I would ignore that stuff and stick to a realistic big picture goal every season: Try to go 2-0 in free agency and 2-0 in the draft.

Then allow everything else to fall into place. It's amazing how many good things will happen when they are not top priority. It's like you are rewarded for the big picture clarity elsewhere.

Get rid of those worthless 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks and try to package them for a second swing in the first round, or very early second round. That way your personnel guy has a bit of a booster rocket by being able to pick twice in the early going. You don't have to be extra special when not as many guys are off the board. Keep it simple.

Likewise by targeting 2 guys in free agency and spending your money there. Don't get trapped into the notion that 3 million on this guy and 4 million on that guy and 5 million on that guy and 5 million on another guy is a smart way to fill out the roster. No, it is conventional wisdom idiocy. Pick your two targeted guys. Obviously hope you connect again, like the Albert Wilson move. Then fill out the roster with league minimum types.

The simulators always seem too good to be true, especially this far removed from the draft when name recognition is everything.

I would ignore that stuff and stick to a realistic big picture goal every season: Try to go 2-0 in free agency and 2-0 in the draft.

Then allow everything else to fall into place. It's amazing how many good things will happen when they are not top priority. It's like you are rewarded for the big picture clarity elsewhere.

Get rid of those worthless 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks and try to package them for a second swing in the first round, or very early second round. That way your personnel guy has a bit of a booster rocket by being able to pick twice in the early going. You don't have to be extra special when not as many guys are off the board. Keep it simple.

Likewise by targeting 2 guys in free agency and spending your money there. Don't get trapped into the notion that 3 million on this guy and 4 million on that guy and 5 million on that guy and 5 million on another guy is a smart way to fill out the roster. No, it is conventional wisdom idiocy. Pick your two targeted guys. Obviously hope you connect again, like the Albert Wilson move. Then fill out the roster with league minimum types.
This is why I said only 3 guys in free agency. As far as the draft, there's a good chance that we'll have a top 10 pick so we'd have a top pick in the 2nd round too.

It seems players are happy to leave this team, even when cut. My thoughts are, what players even want to be on this team?

It seems players are happy to leave this team, even when cut. My thoughts are, what players even want to be on this team?

The over the hill players that want $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
The under the hill players that want $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

And the imbecile Tannenbaum happily obliges

There are 3 players on this team I want back, Tunsil, Howard, and Fitzpatrick. The rest I could honestly care less about.

Man if you aren’t genuinely excited about what wilson and jakeem bring to the table in the wr/pr/kr department.

Hoping against hope they didn’t lose anything in those injuries.

I made myself sad...

Man if you aren’t genuinely excited about what wilson and jakeem bring to the table in the wr/pr/kr department.

Hoping against hope they didn’t lose anything in those injuries.

I made myself sad...
There are other players I like on the team but they aren't essential core players to me. The 3 players I listed are the 3 core players I think we can build a contender around due to age, position played, and performance.

Unfortunately 80-90% of this roster is going to remain intact as long as the coach and/or front office remain. Until we hit a home run with a new coach or GM, we are still a 7-9 win team next season.

Cutting Tannehill after June first would be my way to go. The dead money would "only" be a little over 5mill for 2019. The dead money in 2020 would be 13mill but he'd be the only player on the books for dead money so it'd be ok to do it then.
Yeah, but the savings wouldn't be available until June 1, too

Brace yourselves for nothing to happen at the QB position and this to be the phrase used because DOLPHINS:

"We like what we have in Ryan. When he was healthy he put us in a position to win and we think he can return to his old self with a solid recovery. As far as a developmental QB, we like what we have in Luke Falk and think he would drafted high if he were to come out in this draft class."

We will then all find other teams to root for and it will be marvelous!

Brace yourselves for nothing to happen at the QB position and this to be the phrase used because DOLPHINS:

"We like what we have in Ryan. When he was healthy he put us in a position to win and we think he can return to his old self with a solid recovery. As far as a developmental QB, we like what we have in Luke Falk and think he would drafted high if he were to come out in this draft class."

We will then all find other teams to root for and it will be marvelous!

Smart money you’re correct but I’m not jumping ship.

Unfortunately 80-90% of this roster is going to remain intact as long as the coach and/or front office remain. Until we hit a home run with a new coach or GM, we are still a 7-9 win team next season.

I don't know about 80-90%, but most of the roster should be back. That's the NFL. A handful of All-Pros, a handful of good players, a lot of average players, and backups. Keep most good and average players unless upgrades are found, churn the backups.

Back
Top Bottom