New Ask Alex! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

New Ask Alex!

Everybody keeps talking of this window closing.... I would think we would try and keep our core on D.. Jason, Timbo, Pat, Sam and Zach. Can't we just redo thier contracts and backload them like we have been doing... why will we HAVE to let them go?? On O it is only Ricky and Chambers that we would Have to keep.. Can't we keep that core and look for a few FA vets and a few surprise additions and have a chance every year??
Why do we have to drop everybody and start over?

Originally posted by gottahavefootba
Everybody keeps talking of this window closing.... I would think we would try and keep our core on D.. Jason, Timbo, Pat, Sam and Zach. Can't we just redo thier contracts and backload them like we have been doing... why will we HAVE to let them go?? On O it is only Ricky and Chambers that we would Have to keep.. Can't we keep that core and look for a few FA vets and a few surprise additions and have a chance every year??
Why do we have to drop everybody and start over?
I agree w/you. It is up to the stars on D if they are willing to possibly make less $ to play in Miami and also to the rest of the league. If Jason or someone were to get an offer for 2x more than Miami could pay from the Raiders, like happened w/Trace, he would likely go. :(

Trace was a free agent... I don't think we will let any of our "core" players get to that point. Probably couldn't afford it anyway with backloaded contracts. So if we rework their contracts, even the year before they become free agents, then no other team will be able to make them offers... as long as we keep them happy we should be able to keep them.. we are already paying them big $$ now, so I don't think it should be a problem.. Trace was good but expendable. as are a few of our others players..
Take Ogun for example.. if he has a huge year. like the Tampa game.. then we won't be able to hold him.. but our main guys should stay, unless they just get money hungry and won't have it... DG almost reached that point, then finaly restructured..
I think the core we have now are reasonable and hope we can keep them together for a while.. at least till they get a push from an upcoming star..

Although they are great players, next season Timbo will be gone and I don't see Marion (Possibly Surtain, too) staying with us until the end of their contracts.

We should at least be able to keep ZT, JT, and Sam on D.

I hate to say it, but I think Madison would be the first to go before Surtain. Also, Bowens probably won't be around too much longer and neither will nearly ALL of our high-priced Offensive Lineman.

But, don't expect the Dolphins to see anywhere near the type of salary cap hell that the Ravens or Niners saw. The Dolphins have been one of the few teams in the league that have kept their contracts reasonably priced and fairly even throughout their years.

Originally posted by grooves12
I hate to say it, but I think Madison would be the first to go before Surtain. Also, Bowens probably won't be around too much longer and neither will nearly ALL of our high-priced Offensive Lineman.

But, don't expect the Dolphins to see anywhere near the type of salary cap hell that the Ravens or Niners saw. The Dolphins have been one of the few teams in the league that have kept their contracts reasonably priced and fairly even throughout their years.

I just don't see us getting rid of Sam Madison. He just might be the best CB in the league. You're right about the OL. Guys like Ruddy's days are numbered.

Back
Top Bottom