New college playoff is just as bad if not worse than previous one | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

New college playoff is just as bad if not worse than previous one

They need to bring back the old Bowl Alliance with all the original tie-ins for Orange, Sugar, Fiesta, and Rose. Have the AP and coaches vote for champions at the end. If #1 and #2 don't play and we have two champions, who gives a ****? That makes it more fun anyway.

Ohio St jumping makes everything on this committee quite flawed. A week ago they were 6th now all of a sudden when none of the teams above them struggled they jump to three.
We still have no playoff or true champion but oh well.
TCU was ranked above Florida St by this committee. They blew out iowa St while FSU strugggled against Ga Tech.

You don't see the difference between Iowa State and GT?

If it was a 6 team playoff, people would be complaining about #7 not making it. If it was an 8 team playoff, people would be whining about #9 not making it. It's never going to be perfect, but it's certainly better than it was before.

The solutions is simple. Instead of making it subjective, make it objective. Voting people into a playoff is silly in and of itself.

There are around 120 FBS teams.

Create 8 divisions of 10 teams each. Each team plays all 9 of the other teams in their division each season. Each team can play up to 3 games outside of their division each season. Teams can reserve these games for long standing rivalries outside of their division and/or throw in a cupcake kind of game as a warm up to start the season or a mid season break. Hell, a team can play 2 cupcake games if they so choose, because these games will not factor into the divisional standings.

At the end of the season, the teams 9 game divisional record determines who the champion of the division is. The team with the best record in the division wins the championship. For tiebreakers, a scenario like the one the NFL uses for playoff seeding is used. There are no co-champions.

The 8 divisional champions play in an 8 team playoff to determine a national champion. It really is that simple. No voting. The teams play each other. If you win your division, you have the opportunity to win a national title. Every team knows at the beginning of the season what they need to accomplish. The rules are fair for everyone.

The other 40 teams are placed into 5 team subdivisions of each of the main divisions. Those teams play the other 4 teams in their subdivision, as well as 5 teams from another subdivision, and up to 3 games of their own choosing. At seasons end, each team who finishes first in their subdivision, gets to advance into the main division the next season. The team who finishes last in the main division each season, falls to the subdivision, being replaced by its respective winner.

That is how it is done. Any system you set up in which teams are "voted" in, whether it be by a committee, a bunch of writers, or some computer formulas is going to leave things open for debate. If we had last year's system, FSU would have never gotten moved from #1 and everyone knows it. The game would be #2 Bama vs. #1 FSU for the title and Oregon fans would be pissed. This way is slightly better because we will wind up with Oregon vs Bama and those are probably the teams that deserve to play. The reality is that FSU's body of work demonstrates they are really about the 15th best team in the country, but they are in because they are undefeated.

No matter how many teams you choose to take in some voting system, there will be controversy. If we went with 8 teams, who would be the 7th and 8th teams this year? Would they be 2 teams who are really deserving of the chance? If you ask me, Ole Miss is the 2nd or 3rd best team in the country, but they would not be playing even if you took 8 teams. TCU and Baylor would be in, but who would be 7 and 8? Mich St and Miss St I suppose, but wouldnt some other 2 loss team have a case to bitch if those 2 teams got in? It is all very stupid IMHO.

Yes see this a logical and viable solution. Hell there are many other viable solutions but the one fundamental underlying problem is money. No one can figure out how to do it without losing a piece of the pie and that is the problem with the college system.

If it was a 6 team playoff, people would be complaining about #7 not making it. If it was an 8 team playoff, people would be whining about #9 not making it. It's never going to be perfect, but it's certainly better than it was before.

if there was an 8 team playoff nobody could argue the 9th team was the best team in the country.
I argue 16 teams because the other divisions do it.
My issue is with the idiotic method that had TCU over FSU a week before but all of a sudden Ohio St jumps them because of beating an ok Wisconisn team.

6-6 Bowl teams are a travesty. Not sure why any fans want to travel to cheer on their 6-6 bowl team

6-6 Bowl teams are a travesty. Not sure why any fans want to travel to cheer on their 6-6 bowl team

The 6-6 Canes making a bowl game is almost as big of a joke as the Duck Dynasty Bowl itself. In the end it's all about $$$ in college football. It's fraudulent power speaks louder than the plays and players on the field. Just like those fake clucks that were clean shaven and wore polos before donning beards and camo for TV producers.

The 6-6 Canes making a bowl game is almost as big of a joke as the Duck Dynasty Bowl itself. In the end it's all about $$$ in college football. It's fraudulent power speaks louder than the plays and players on the field. Just like those fake clucks that were clean shaven and wore polos before donning beards and camo for TV producers.

A winning record should be required to make a bowl

college football has always been a joke with the way they determine a champion. this new system is a little better but not much.

I see quite a difference as theire was quite differant results

Of course there were different results. GT is about 100000000x the football team Iowa St. is. I don't see how the outcome of those games impacts the decision in any way.

if there was an 8 team playoff nobody could argue the 9th team was the best team in the country.
I argue 16 teams because the other divisions do it.
My issue is with the idiotic method that had TCU over FSU a week before but all of a sudden Ohio St jumps them because of beating an ok Wisconisn team.

Wisconsin is far better than the majority of teams TCU played, especially Iowa State. And they completely manhandled Wisconsin with their 3rd string QB. And they aren't arguing that Ohio St. is the best team in the country. They are arguing that they are the 4th best team in the country, which is a valid stance. You are acting like TCU is vastly superior, which is ludicrous. If they want to make the playoffs, maybe they should schedule some tougher opponents?

You really think people wouldn't be whining about the teams chosen for an 8 team playoff system? :lol:

Agreed. I can't remember the last time I watched any bowl game outside of the Championship, including all of the bowl games ASU has played in. I just don't give a **** about a post-season exhibition game.

Now I'll watch three bowl games, because they actually mean something.

Of course there were different results. GT is about 100000000x the football team Iowa St. is. I don't see how the outcome of those games impacts the decision in any way.

never argued that GT is not better than Iowa St. Florida is also prob better than Texas but that didnt stop the same voters from having TCU ranked over FSU the previous week.

Wisconsin is far better than the majority of teams TCU played, especially Iowa State. And they completely manhandled Wisconsin with their 3rd string QB. And they aren't arguing that Ohio St. is the best team in the country. They are arguing that they are the 4th best team in the country, which is a valid stance. You are acting like TCU is vastly superior, which is ludicrous. If they want to make the playoffs, maybe they should schedule some tougher opponents?

You really think people wouldn't be whining about the teams chosen for an 8 team playoff system? :lol:

People could be upset but no team outside of top 8 has less than two losses.
There is only one undefeated team and all one loss teams would be in that playoff.

You mean schedule teams like Minnesota who actually almost beat Ohio St that TCU blowed out

Ohio St and TCU both played one slug team.
TCU had Samford and Ohio St had kent St

Ohio St lost by 14 points to Va tech at home.

That same Va Tech team that got blown out by Miami and lost to W Michigan,
That same Va tech team that lost to 3 win Wake Forest

Back
Top Bottom