New college playoff is just as bad if not worse than previous one | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

New college playoff is just as bad if not worse than previous one

TCU beat

Kansas St 9-3
minnesota 8-4
Oklahoma 8-4
West Virginia 7-5

Ohio St beat
mich St 10-2
Maryland 7-5
Rutgers 7-5
Minnesota 8-4
Wisconsin 8-4
Cinncy 9-3

SO Ohio St beat more good teams.

Common opponent
Only Minnesota
TCU dominated Minn 30-7 game was never in doubt
Ohio St Struggled with Minnesota to win 31-24

Losses
ohio St lost to 6-6 Va tech by two touchdowns to a 6-6 team
A va tech team that lost to Wake Forest and was blown out by Miami

TCU lost to 11-1 Baylor by 3 points
A baylor team that only had one loss

Close games versus subpar teams
Ohio St had to go to double overtime to beat 6-6 penn St
Ohio St struggled with Indiana and Michigan for three quarters as well as Navy

TCU struggled and had to come behind versus Kansas

Not sure how any of this justifies Ohio St somehow jumping from 6th to 4th over a team that was ranked 3rd the week prior.
Esp considering that beating Iowa St 55-7 is more of a blow out than any team Ohio ST beat outside of Kent St.

Lowly Iowa St that beat a 6-6 Big Ten Iowa team. That same Iowa team that lost by 2 points to the might Wisconsin team that Ohio ST beat.

The committee was a pure sham

never argued that GT is not better than Iowa St. Florida is also prob better than Texas but that didnt stop the same voters from having TCU ranked over FSU the previous week.

Then FSU went out and beat a far better team than TCU did. So did Ohio St. I don't see how the bump is so surprising.

Then FSU went out and beat a far better team than TCU did. So did Ohio St. I don't see how the bump is so surprising.

Its not supposed to be based on one week.
The previous week TCU was ranked ahead of FSU
It is supposed to be a decision based on their entire season
Common opponents strength of schedule.
They had one common opponent and TCU dominated that same team while ohio ST struggled to beat them.
wisconsin is better than Iowa St but barely beat the team that Iowa St beat.

how a team that took two overtimes to beat Penn St and lost handily to a poor Va tech team is taken over them is a farce

People could be upset but no team outside of top 8 has less than two losses.
There is only one undefeated team and all one loss teams would be in that playoff.

You mean schedule teams like Minnesota who actually almost beat Ohio St that TCU blowed out

Ohio St and TCU both played one slug team.
TCU had Samford and Ohio St had kent St

Ohio St lost by 14 points to Va tech at home.

That same Va Tech team that got blown out by Miami and lost to W Michigan,
That same Va tech team that lost to 3 win Wake Forest

Yeah, we can play this game all day. TCU lost to Baylor, who in teen lost to WV, who lost to.... I don't care. I care about the team right now. Ohio St is playing superior football at this point. The only reason you are even arguing for TCU is because you want to see a lesser known team in the playoffs. I get it. But you are acting like TCU is far superior to Ohio St (the only thing that can explain such outrage). There is simply no way you can argue that. Given the movement in the ranking, it's clear that they believed there was very little difference between the teams that competed for the 4 spot. The final deciding factors? Defending champs FSU being undefeated and beating a very good GT, Ohio St. absolutely destroying a very good Wisconsin team with their 3rd string QB, and TCU beating a high school team. Seems like a close, but fairly easy decision.

Its not supposed to be based on one week.
The previous week TCU was ranked ahead of FSU
It is supposed to be a decision based on their entire season
Common opponents strength of schedule.
They had one common opponent and TCU dominated that same team while ohio ST struggled to beat them.
wisconsin is better than Iowa St but barely beat the team that Iowa St beat.

how a team that took two overtimes to beat Penn St and lost handily to a poor Va tech team is taken over them is a farce

You keep bringing up the close win over Penn St., as if they means anything. A rivalry game being close? Gee willikers. That never happens. One thing is certain, Penn St is Kansas, but I don't see you bringing up how TCU almost lost to that terrible team like you do with Ohio St. and Penn St.

Where I stand on it is that I can see the merits of giving it to Ohio St, TCU, or Baylor. Unfortunately for two of them, there can be only one. You are acting like TCU is far superior, which is the only way such outrage would be justified. It just comes off as anger that the little guy didn't make it.

Yeah, we can play this game all day. TCU lost to Baylor, who in teen lost to WV, who lost to.... I don't care. I care about the team right now. Ohio St is playing superior football at this point. The only reason you are even arguing for TCU is because you want to see a lesser known team in the playoffs. I get it. But you are acting like TCU is far superior to Ohio St (the only thing that can explain such outrage). There is simply no way you can argue that. Given the movement in the ranking, it's clear that they believed there was very little difference between the teams that competed for the 4 spot. The final deciding factors? Defending champs FSU being undefeated and beating a very good GT, Ohio St. absolutely destroying a very good Wisconsin team with their 3rd string QB, and TCU beating a high school team. Seems like a close, but fairly easy decision.

That high school team beat Big 10 team Iowa who almost beat Wisconsin

That high school team beat Big 10 team Iowa who almost beat Wisconsin
It really doesn't matter, FSU and Alabama will be in the NC game regardless of the other two teams selected. It only matters to the Big 10 and Big 12 that one of them (Big12) will miss out on $6 Million. Either way, I agree that an 8 team playoff would be much better and would generate a lot more money.

It really doesn't matter, FSU and Alabama will be in the NC game regardless of the other two teams selected. It only matters to the Big 10 and Big 12 that one of them (Big12) will miss out on $6 Million. Either way, I agree that an 8 team playoff would be much better and would generate a lot more money.

I agree OSU and Oregon have no chance.
This fake azz committe just makes no sense.
A week before TCU was better than FSU then all of a sudden they are a worse team for no real reason.
Same with Ohio St a week before they were worse than Baylor and TCU but after beating a solid Wisconsin team they are better.

Im for a 16 team playoff , in reality there is no excuse to not be able to do what the other football tiers do.
8 would be ok and u put all teams in a conference and all conference champions move on.

The whole commitee is a sham

A team that goes to double overtime with a garbage azz Penn St team isnt winning crap in this playoff.
After being blown out by Northwestern and losing to Michigan they almost take out the mighty Ohio St.
then proceed later on to lose to friggin illinois.

Iowa St would probaly go 6-6 in the big 10.
They beat Iowa who was 6-6. Mighty Iowa who barely beat N Iowa and Ball St but were 4-4 in conference and barely lost to mighty Wisconsin

If you are TCU this is the most heartbreaking scenario since this is the team that jumped you in rankings.
Congrats OSU great win, now hopefully we will get a real playoff soon. This was a great start though

#4 and lowest seeded team wins the NC. Proof that college playoffs are long overdue.

Anyways,

Go Canes. []_[]

Guess who **** the bed on this prediction...this guy! STFU Buddy! Anyway, go Noles! Congrats to the Buckeye Nation.

Guess who **** the bed on this prediction...this guy! STFU Buddy! Anyway, go Noles! Congrats to the Buckeye Nation.

I would have missed the first two games.
Would have picked OSU.
Would be on none of these games.
When I bet, Im trying to manipulate a perceived advantage, I saw none of that in these games.
I usually avoid playoffs anyway because stuff can get quite wankey.

Well, I guess that puts this discussion to bed. Turns out OSU isn't the 4th best team in the nation. They're the best (I hate saying that because I can't stand OSU, for no good reason).

The Big 12 can push harder for a waiver or expand to 12 and get a championship game. They hesitate to do that because teams can be eliminated from playoff contention if they lose that game. This year, it happened to work against them, but if any of those 4 teams lost their conference championships, TCU would have jumped them. The Big 12 rolled the dice and lost, and TCU and Baylor suffered the brunt of such indecision (probably spearheaded by Texas and Oklahoma).

I'd be okay with a 6 team playoff system, but that is adding another game to an already crowded student schedule. And, of course, people would still whine about it.

Well, I guess that puts this discussion to bed. Turns out OSU isn't the 4th best team in the nation. They're the best (I hate saying that because I can't stand OSU, for no good reason).

The Big 12 can push harder for a waiver or expand to 12 and get a championship game. They hesitate to do that because teams can be eliminated from playoff contention if they lose that game. This year, it happened to work against them, but if any of those 4 teams lost their conference championships, TCU would have jumped them. The Big 12 rolled the dice and lost, and TCU and Baylor suffered the brunt of such indecision (probably spearheaded by Texas and Oklahoma).

I'd be okay with a 6 team playoff system, but that is adding another game to an already crowded student schedule. And, of course, people would still whine about it.

Have a true playoff . Make all teams join 8 football conferences They can all be 14 team conferences if needed and have an 8 team playoff.
I have no issue with them choosing OSU over TCU but there whole ranking process did no make sense. They had OSU 6th, TCU third. Beating a decent Wisconisn team badly should not have bounced TCU.
Its moot the system will say OSU was the best and they might be but it was a very flawed process.

They earned it in the playoff but I still don't think they earned an appearance in the playoff comparing their resume to a couple of the other teams.

Back
Top Bottom