New Draft Strategy By The Front Office | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

New Draft Strategy By The Front Office

I like the "play it forward" philosophy with draft picks as well. It's an approach that has really benefited New England and could do the same for Miami. Having 10 picks every year instead of seven gives a team a few more chances.

Grier is NOT a bad gm, at all.

He always wants to acquire assets and have tons of draft picks. That's how you build a consistent winner. Not blowing picks in trades for old vets, not overpaying vets in FA. Just drafting tons of kids and coaching them up.

If Flores is the real deal at HC, then Miami will become a great football team with those 2 at the top.

I hope he stays committed to having a lot of picks and goes into every draft trying to trade down and acquire picks for the next season.

i wanted to ask what do you think some of the best changes that happened to our front office for this draft?
Was it Chris Grier learning and being the main man now?
Chris along with Marvin Allen, and Reggie McKenzie working together?

I think it was number 2 for me. I am really happy to have Reggie here. I do think Chris May have learned from the past as well.

Thoughts?

It’s always good to have more experienced and competent minds in the front office. The more the better. The assistant coach and assistant GM hires can only help imo. Grier gave us more insight into how he operates as a GM this time.

Almost everyone, including Grier himself, that has been hired has that New England pedigree. They all know that having more draft capital every year, leads to having the ability to maneuver and potentially select that game changer.

It's really simple.

Before: They were breathing their own exhaust and believed they were a player or two away. Examples of this thinking include: "Suh -- the Brady killer up the middle and we're SB bound" experiment; "Tannehill just keeps getting better every year, so let's draft/FA everywhere else instead" experiment; "Let's hire the hot, young offensive genius because we've got a complete team just waiting for him to exploit" experiment; "Let's let our first time HC have outsized influence on the draft and FA because we're just one player away experiment"; "let's over pay to keep key players around because we're just one more year away" experiment' etc.

After: The painful realization that the team is no where near ready to compete. So, they took a look around and asked the question: Which teams are competitive year in and year out and what part of their model do we like and want to copy? Examples of this thinking include: purging the roster of older, under performing, expensive vets; drafting a *possible* franchise QB for effectively a 4th and 5th (seriously, how could anyone complain about the risk/reward ratio here is beyond me); and more importantly recognizing that even if you are at the peak of your draft game you're only hitting on 50% so stock pile draft picks unless there is a specific player you have targeted available (and even then, listen carefully for better trade value).

On top of that, it sure looks like they hired some quality people to file the FO to make sure there are checks and balances on that part of the decision making.

Truth be told, we'll need a couple of years to fully evaluate if this year just looked good vs. was good. And even if this year turns out to be fantastic (QB turns out to be the franchise QB we've been looking), we still need to see how things go next year with $120m burning a hole in their pocket and the possibly very hard decision around drafting a QB next year.

The majority of the 2020 mock NFL Drafts I've seen so far are reflecting Josh Rosen. Before the trade Miami was almost unanimous in drafting #1 overall. But since the Rosen trade, the pendulum seems to be switching to Miami picking in the top 5 and NOT selecting a QB. I guess you can say, Everyone seems to think, Rosen is a franchise type guy? Hopefully Grier, doesn't deviate from his plan.

Back
Top Bottom