New entry on RunRickyRun | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

New entry on RunRickyRun

IAFINFAN

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
'The NFL Draft. Wow! What an exciting day. Not for all, I would guess. Maybe not even for most. I'm not being negative, just realistic. I should have learned my lesson a long time ago. Four years ago, to be exact. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching the draft. I am proud to say I enjoyed my first NFL draft with my son Prince this weekend, but I see it from a completely different prospective now. Before, I was lucky enough to be a part of it, and it symbolized "making it," just being drafted and given the opportunity to play among the best of the best. On my draft day, April 17th 1999, I sat in the green room at Madison Square Garden, hoping and praying that I would be the first pick of the draft. I felt I had long since solidified my spot on a NFL roster, so just "making it" wasn't on my mind. "Making it first" was. I almost feel foolish saying this because probably all but one of the kids drafted this weekend felt that they were drafted too late. What I am trying to say is that I was pissed that I wasn't the first pick of the draft. Still am, sort of, and that's one of the things that motivates me on the days I don't feel like working out. I know, going 5th overall and being coveted so much that Coach Ditka traded everything (literally) for me, I should have been happier, satisfied that I was going somewhere I was wanted. At the time, I didn't really care. I truly thought I was the best player in the draft. There are instances, though when it isn't about being the best. It's about what a team "needs." In 1999, the Cleveland Browns' first year, they owned the first pick, and they needed everything. I took it hard that they felt they needed Tim Couch more than they needed me. Adding further insult was the fact that I wasn't even the first running back taken. Edgerrin James was. I understand what the Colts were thinking, they must of known something because he has been a beast. I can be just as productive, and I plan on proving that this year. I'm looking for an even bigger year now that I understand the offense and have more time under my belt, and I still carry the motivation with me because I don't want to be just another good player. I want to be the best.

If he thinks he will be better this year man I can't wait. Love to hear how he still has a chip on his shoulder with lots more to prove.

Originally posted by Dolfan984
Ricky is better than Edge.

he is now. ricky is so friggin healthy and that is the thing. the guy has totally turned it around in many ways. the fact that he just pours it on as the game goes on is what is the best. thank god we have ricky, the second best acquisition in dolphins history.:D

Almost, the best acquisition in Dolphins history was Don Shula, then Ricky I believe. We're talking about trades I believe, not draft picks, that's why I left out Dan Marino.

I must have been sleeping, and I don't keep up with players personal lives much, but when did Ricky have a son named Prince? Sounds like what you would name a big dog like a Boxer or Rottweiller or something.:cool:

If Ricky can stay healthy during his career he could very well turn out to be the best!

I haven't seen Payton, but I have seen Barry Sanders and Ricky must gained at least 18000 yards in his career so I dare to compare him to Sanders.

Sanders did his thing without a good OL or QB (much like Marino did without a running game). Everybody knew he was running and even tough they tought they had him for a 10 yards loss he was taking it in the house.

Thanx for the heads up Ianfan, yeah this was an awsome article....glad to see hes always motivated...

Boone: I'm a HUGE Ashley Judd fan! That was a refreshing 'pick me up' and has just replaced the Hooters' girl as my wallpaper.

Also, that Ricky Williams guy is good. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom