New GM cant fire/hire coaches? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

New GM cant fire/hire coaches?

bigmiamifan

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
Not sure if everyone caught this-

"The failure to communicate signaled Modrak's lack of interest in the job, which was described to him as being in charge of player personnel only.

Modrak, who is considered one of the top player scouts in the NFL, essentially does the same job under Bills general manager Tom Donahoe. Unless the Dolphins enhance their job to include all football operations -- such as the ability to hire and fire the coach -- Modrak is not expected to interview"

WTF? In charge of player personnel only? Why not just promote Rick then? This doesn't sound very appealing or promising for the future if Dave struggles. How can Wayne know who the best coach would be, he's not a football guy. This sounds like such a small move to make, and I'm not sure will see many changes. Dave already is speaking about changes to the offense as if he expects a lot of say on the matter.

So then the majority of GMs are mainly personnel guys only? How come they don't manage all football operations? Kinda surprising.

Is that why Ron Wolf does not want to come out of Retirement?
If that's the case then the whole stripping Wanny demotion thing is a cover.

Do I hear a conspiracy brewing and do we call it Dolphin-Gate, Wanny-gate or Flipper-gate?

Originally posted by bigmiamifan
Not sure if everyone caught this-

"The failure to communicate signaled Modrak's lack of interest in the job, which was described to him as being in charge of player personnel only.

Modrak, who is considered one of the top player scouts in the NFL, essentially does the same job under Bills general manager Tom Donahoe. Unless the Dolphins enhance their job to include all football operations -- such as the ability to hire and fire the coach -- Modrak is not expected to interview"

WTF? In charge of player personnel only? Why not just promote Rick then? This doesn't sound very appealing or promising for the future if Dave struggles. How can Wayne know who the best coach would be, he's not a football guy. This sounds like such a small move to make, and I'm not sure will see many changes. Dave already is speaking about changes to the offense as if he expects a lot of say on the matter.

That's been my whole bitch about this snowjob. We already have that in Spielman and it looks like Wayne is just trying to sugarcoat a bad situation again. But the thing is, you can give any title to anyone you want, but I will guarantee you one thing. If Spielman gets the job, which wouldn't surprise me in the least bit, Wanny will still be calling the shots. Spielman will not go against what Wanny wants, no way, just like Wanny won't go against what JJ wants, etc.

This thing has really been blown out of proportion to what is really happening.
I don't know, but maybe I'm confused....

Now it seems that all Wayne has done is removed Dave's personnel power and that is it.
Now they are deciding whether Rick can continue doing that job, however now with FINAL SAY....or hiring someone else to do it.

So essentially, this is a big thing over nothing.

Originally posted by fins1
Jones said it depends on who the GM will be.

Ah, so Mueller or Ruskell may get that power but the Bill's guy won't? That's cool. No offense, but if the Bills suck *** and traded away all their stars, why do we want their FO guy?

Back
Top Bottom