New head coach candidates | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

New head coach candidates

I think that even after someone has had a coordinator position, the odds are still against them succeeding as a head coach in the NFL.

Not my argument. Most head coaches have been coordinators, and most head coaches fail. My argument is that having someone serve as a coordinator, even briefly, can screen out people who are utterly unsuited for management and responsibility within the organizational structure. Based on what I've seen of Brian Flores, I suspect he would have absolutely screened himself out if he had actually been responsible for anything before being called up by his boy Grier.

Sure, the ball placement wasn't good for Waddle. Didn't hit him in the numbers, instead it hit him in the shoulderpad. Here's the thing, though. Brissett was under pressure and had to adjust the throw to get it around the guy throwing his hands up in the passing lane.

Brissett actually goes and makes a nice play and Waddle pulls that stunt? Sorry, I'm not even gonna pretend that's on the quarterback, the coaches, or anyone else.
I agree. Waddle was the 6th pick in the draft and is being counted on to be a playmaking stud WR. He's got to make those kinds of catches if he's going to develop into one.

People here were merciless in trashing Jamar Chase for having the drops in preseason, but he looks pretty damned good now.

Sure, the ball placement wasn't good for Waddle. Didn't hit him in the numbers, instead it hit him in the shoulderpad. Here's the thing, though. Brissett was under pressure and had to adjust the throw to get it around the guy throwing his hands up in the passing lane.

Brissett actually goes and makes a nice play and Waddle pulls that stunt? Sorry, I'm not even gonna pretend that's on the quarterback, the coaches, or anyone else.
While I normally would agree with you here, the coaching or lack thereof, has every single player playing below their avg abilities. Not making excuses for them, however, this is the reality of our team right now.

As an honest Dolphins fan, how about we hire Jason Garrett? He was part of the Dolphins coaching staff and his dad also a few years back.

Think this a appropriate time to wheel out an old and faithful .jpg:

iu

I agree. Waddle was the 6th pick in the draft and is being counted on to be a playmaking stud WR. He's got to make those kinds of catches if he's going to develop into one.

People here were merciless in trashing Jamar Chase for having the drops in preseason, but he looks pretty damned good now.
Chase has a QB that can throw the ball down the field. Miami doesnt. Its checkdown charley passes that travel 5- 10 yards. Its disgusting.

the problems w coaches dolphins hire. they all have one good yr. than go back to losing than fired.. flo will get another year but dolphins must be better.
these are coaches i like if he get fired...1. Doug Peterson 2. Jason Garrett? 3. jim caldwell... i want Jim cartwell to be H.c

Last edited:
the problems w coaches dolphins hire. they all have one good yr. than go back to losing than fired.. flo will get another year but dolphins must be better.
these are coaches i like if he get fired...1. Doug Peterson 2. Jason Garrett? 3. jim cartwell... i want Jim cartwell to be H.c
Who on earth is Jim Cartwell?

Not my argument. Most head coaches have been coordinators, and most head coaches fail. My argument is that having someone serve as a coordinator, even briefly, can screen out people who are utterly unsuited for management and responsibility within the organizational structure. Based on what I've seen of Brian Flores, I suspect he would have absolutely screened himself out if he had actually been responsible for anything before being called up by his boy Grier.
This is the rub. Some of the most brilliant offensive (and defensive) minds are not suited for the head coaching/ leader of it all management role, as you point out. Even if they have been OC's for a while you might not "screen them out", especially if they're OC's for a strong, big time leader HC. For example my favorite offensive minds in the game are Greg Roman and Mike McDaniel. I don't start a lot of threads, but my first on this board was pounding tables for McDaniel as OC. I think they're brilliant, and have for over a decade (Roman) and a few years (McDaniel). I don't think we could get them as OC's in a lateral move, probably impossible. But they may both be unsuited for the head manager/leader HC role - very possible.

It's hard to get the innovative offensive minds, AND the experienced leader in one body. Not impossible but very hard.

Back
Top Bottom