New OC Chan Gailey system is a perfect fit - For Josh Rosen | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

New OC Chan Gailey system is a perfect fit - For Josh Rosen

Pass pro improved quite a bit the second half of the season. Those first 6 games, it was a jail break every passing down.

Unfortunately, those same linemen who improved in pass-blocking also really sucked at run-blocking. I'm all for replacing every single one of them, just like I wanted Flores and Grier to replace ALL of Gase's o-linemen. If Fitz had a better o-line (that could run-block) and a half-decent running game, Miami would never have started 0-7, and might possibly have been in the mix for a Wildcard berth. It's amazing what Fitz was able to accomplish in the passing game with so little protection and no running game. I'm all for using this upcoming draft (and Free Agency) to rebuild the o-line and emphasize a strong running game, and go with Fitz and Rosen again in 2020. IMO, no one can really know how Rosen will do until he's given a "real" o-line and running game.

Not if he wasn't ready.

There is nothing wrong with sitting a young QB, so that he is better prepared. In fact, it used to be commonplace, and there was good reason.

I understand that, technically, he wasn't a rookie, but his time in AZ probably did more harm than good, and he was very young.

people don’t realize the kid is only 22 years old and played in an entirely new system behind an atrocious oline and terrible coaches

I don’t know why that’s so hard to understand. He deserves a **** thru camp this summer. I don’t give up talent that fast

people don’t realize the kid is only 22 years old and played in an entirely new system behind an atrocious oline and terrible coaches

I don’t know why that’s so hard to understand. He deserves a **** thru camp this summer. I don’t give up talent that fast

Im with you man. If we are using those 2-3 games he had as a full starter with the actual system down... and are concluding his future based off THAT then we are ****ed. I HAVE to believe they wanted to protect Rosen from developing the bad habits that almost automatically occur as a result.

Im with you man. If we are using those 2-3 games he had as a full starter with the actual system down... and are concluding his future based off THAT then we are ****ed. I HAVE to believe they wanted to protect Rosen from developing the bad habits that almost automatically occur as a result.

If people actually read between the line of some of these reporters trying to shove their narratives down our throats, Flores has actually hinted at just that. They wanted to protect Rosen this to give him a fair shot next year. Doesn’t mean they’re sold on him, but they know he’s smart and talented

I've been searching around trying to figure out a few things about changing our OC, and specifically interested in why we may have hired Chan Gailey. Chan is a well known commodity and likes the Spread and various Power formations in his scheme. Basically he likes extremes. Force them to defend overwhelming formations and try to fool them on some Play Action when you can. It's been pretty well documented that there are ties between Fitzpatrick and Gailey, but there's also some things about Josh Rosen that could bode well for him getting another strong look. Here's some things I've found reading up on various posts all over the internet about Gailey and how his scheme may be perfect for Rosen.
From a reddit article:
The case for Josh Rosen and the spread offense.

Rosen ran the spread offense in high school. Here you can find a breakdown of Rosen's success in the scheme during high school. This is how he first learned to play QB.

Rosen ran an up-tempo spread scheme early in his college career as well. As a freshman in the system, he passed for 3,670 yards with 23 TDs, 11 INTs, a 60% completion percentage, and a rating of 134.3.

After Kingsbury was hired by the Cards, he made numerous comments about Josh Rosen being a great fit for his offense. Ultimately they chose Kyler Murray, but it was made clear that they did so because they believed Kyler to be a generational talent, not because Rosen doesn't fit into the spread. Kingsbury said of Rosen, " Josh is a tremendous player, I've always thought, watching him at UCLA. He played his best football in a spread system, some similarities to what we do."

Rosen ran these concepts with great success throughout high school and to start his college career, then he was forced to endure a litany of new coordinators every year. Chan Gailey will be Rosen's 7th offensive coordinator in the last 5 years and his 4th NFL-level coordinator.

Of course, all of the Rosen speculation is for naught if Tua declares and we snag him at 5. But maybe the universal Tua love from Grier and Ross was just a smoke screen. Perhaps they had to change plans when Tua went down with the hip injury. Either way, there's no denying the fact that switching to a spread offense could not only benefit us in the short term with Fitz, but it also plays into the strengths of Josh Rosen.

Gailey makes sense on all 3 different scenarios:
Fitz is the starter next year
Fitz is the starter next year until Rookie overtakes him
Fitz is the starter next year until Rosen develops or Rosen overtakes him early and starts

Gailey has a history of running a spread offense, and the Dolphins will likely implement more of that in 2020. But that doesn't mean strictly pass-happy. Gailey has led successful run offenses and he will try to establish that approach in Miami.

Some players described the Dolphins' offense under O'Shea as complex. The expectation under Gailey will be to run an offense that is easier to understand, which should help mold a young roster that will most likely include a rookie quarterback. Developing Rosen is on that to-do list as well.

Gailey's arrival is a big positive for Fitzpatrick, who played for the veteran coach in Buffalo as well as with the New York Jets. The reunion helps Fitzpatrick's chances to return in 2020 as the incumbent starting quarterback.

There are some thoughts though that the Dolphins have seen enough of Josh Rosen, and there are 5 teams that may want to trade for him in 2020

I'm looking forward to seeing how our QB situation sorts itself out this offseason... Round one will tell us quite a bit of how much of a look we can expect Rosen to get in Gailey's new scheme.

I'll believe it when I see it. I don't believe Chan Gailey was hired for Josh Rosen.

We have everything to gain by allowing Gailey to coach up Rosen in his system. If he catches on and produces then great if Gailey turns out to not be a fan of Rosen's then move on. Josh Rosen hasn't had a fair opportunity to achieve his ceiling in the NFL. I'd like to see more of the kid and he is a 22 year old kid.

Great job DolfanMike.... Tua will likely sit in 2020 and the Dolphins would be in great shape if Rosen increases his value while Tua recuperates.

Only time will tell if Rosen can overcome the bad breaks he endured at UCLA, Arizona and a Miami team stripped of talent.

Year 3 coming up for Rosen??? Hmmm idk. What too expect from him anymore...he cannot live off that first rd pick anymore..

According to half the folks here, Rosen has had nothing but a run of bad luck.

Just funny seeing all the excuse making for a guy who really has done NOTHING to deserve the benefit of the doubt. And its probably the lone gripe I have with the GM and HC after year 1.

Things will be made clearer post draft. And yes, I still do not much like Rosen from UCLA to Arizona to Davie. I'm consistent.

I love anything that threatens the narrative that Tua is definitely going to be our QB...

Tua supporters have had their say about Rosen. Herbert, Burrow has shut up all but the most fanatical supporters...

I don't hope for Tua's downfall if we draft him, but it would sure be worth it to watch the unemployment rate for chefs plummet due to having to serve up crow to so many people.

If Gailey was hired to work with Rosen and Fitz and it pans out good I´ll be more than happy, we will know if that´s the case by the end of the first round.

Back
Top Bottom