New Pieces Coming Together On Offensive Line

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin Fan in Cali, May 10, 2019.

1. Jssanto

Jssanto Well-Known Member

How important are the short arms of Barron at C as opposed to guard or tackle?

2. mfish41

mfish41 It is what it is Donator

I know it's a slow time of year, but every year we get these puff piece articles hyping up a unit. I'll believe it when i see it.

3. Snoop

Snoop A True Fan

it wasn't like Grier was some intern tasked with bringing in the coffee and donuts all this time, he's been a highly influential voice in the draft room since at least 2007 when he was promoted to director of scouting. he likely helped set the draft board many years. he's certainly not blameless in this organization's complete failure to find a single offensive lineman worth his salt after Day 1 of the draft.

4. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Travis Swanson hung em up

5. dougb123

dougb123 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Dolphins have drafted well recently and that's what matters most.
    Offensive line could possibly be better than we think, thanks to the coaches, at the very least they will be better at picking up defensive line stunts, they will get plenty of practice in training camp.
    Would like to pick up a solid veteran RT in case Jessie Davis struggles - would like to see Davis crossed trained at center so he can play all 3 spots.
    I'm not sold were going to be a bad team and don't think Rosen deserves to start any game unless he proves he is the better player, don't believe anyone knows exactly how well/poorly we play in 2019 that includes the coaches right now.
    The team declined under Gase leadership, we were better in his 1st year and got worse every year, I was glad to see him go - he was a poor head coach.

Superself likes this.
  6. fansinceGWilson

fansinceGWilson FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I read that as a comment on player commitment and learning the scheme - not making decisions on starters

7. Dolfndude

Dolfndude Well-Known Member

For you guys mentioning Barron, the Dolphins released him when they released Asiata. He's not on the roster.

8. Dolphinitis

Dolphinitis Well-Known Member

this is true, griers been around for many years. he is definitely on the clock.

9. VINNY G

VINNY G New Member

Still do not understand that one. Barron is a very under rated player who played at a BIG school that only recently became relevant.

10. Digital

Digital Starter Finheaven VIP

Calhoun just lacks the sand in his pants. IMHO, he's a poor man's version of Jake Brendel. Now, I'm hoping and expecting he makes the team, because despite his lack of power and projection of a very poor run blocker, the kid is a very good pass protector. While he's not starter material in my eyes, he is a guy worth having on the roster to plug in during injury crises. Given that we'll likely have injuries across the OL, and at some point be turning to our young QB Rosen, it makes sense to have a backup who can pass protect.

Ray R likes this.
  11. Digital

Deiter is going to start at LG and be one of our two best OL, and be durable and dependable, bank on it. Great pick. He's so good we'll stop worrying about the OL and start blaming the QB.

Ray R likes this.
  12. John Biello

John Biello Perennial All-Pro

Webb and sims like left side?

13. Mach2

Mach2 A True Fan

That's some high praise there, as far as pass pro, anyway.

I don't remember that duo being exceptional run blockers though. Not that we ever commited to running the ball during that decade.

Racefan99 likes this.
  14. Digital

Well honestly, Tunsil has more potential than Webb, but is less dependable. Dieter should be somewhat similar to Sims, who I always thought was one of our best OL in the modern era. All in all, tough to say, but the reliability of Webb and Sims probably makes that the better pair. But, since them, this has the most potential of any left side we've had, and is probably comparable to Long and Incognito, who were excellent the first year or so together.

15. DKphin

DKphin FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I am as not as high on Webb as most Phin fans are. He was great in Pass Pro, but couldn't move people in the run game. To be considered elite, you have to be superior in every aspect of your position. Richmond was not.

Mach2 likes this.