New Pieces Coming Together On Offensive Line | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

New Pieces Coming Together On Offensive Line

Flaherty is going to be snorting coke and talking to a stripper once he sees the right side practice in pads. lol

Hopefully, we can have a decent line this year so Rosen/Fitz doesn't get destroyed and we have a competent run game.

Yeah man, this is the very type of thinking we see every.single.season. If everything goes perfectly - our NO DEPTH team has ZERO issues and all the lucky plays break our way, our match ups are perfect, no bad calls in crucial moments... if everything goes perfectly, then we can get xxxx wins.

Every single season people are just super optimistic, failing to realize every other team in the NFL believes they improved too. Failing to realize injuries will happen, a lack of depth will be exposed, referees are going to make bad calls.

This team is going to be bad next season, and it doesn't make me a bad fan or a miserable person... I just see it every single season, y'all call for 10-12 wins when we get 7-8... this season you're optimistic we'll win up to 10 games, really? If everything goes perfectly... this could be an 8 win team... but you're being realistic it's more like 5 wins - that's assuming our coach isn't bad.

No depth on the OL, low expected talent on the entire right side of the OL, question marks on the WR core including injuries and inconsistent play, question marks on TE, question marks on depth at RB... and an entire defense that doesn't scare anyone. An expected solid DT rotation, a great #1 CB, and good safeties... LB's that are up and coming but still not the best and a complete void at CB, depth in the secondary, and at DE.

And contrary to what has become popular belief... Gase was not a bad coach. He was very flawed coaching a very flawed team and made a lot of questionable playcalls but he was actually a pretty good game manager. Some guy responded above how we were in the hunt late in the season despite X X X X X - that actually shows Gase was able to manage a sinking ship better than given credit for (to be clear, I'm not some Gase advocate, but he wasn't a horrible coach, either).
Every team, every fan(s) can say this every year. So why not be optimistic??? Sooner or later everything falls in place for teams (look at the Browns). For the first time I can actually say that I am very pleased with everything this regime has done up to this point. Did we get a edge rusher, NO, but not every hole could have been addressed in 1 draft, especially this draft, and a limited # of picks. This team is a better position than they have been in 15+ years. Besides, this regime is all about flexibility, not only with the schemes but the players as well. Be patient, lets see what this staff does on game days, because our staff failed the team, the players, and the organization for the past 15 years+.

Exactly. Very few of these guys are awful coaches. You might have one example per franchise of a Dallas Thomas-caliber head coach. Gase certainly wasn't close to that level. He is a strange guy whose teams here had extreme tendencies in both directions, like excellent at home but terrible on the road. Lousy point differential but incredibly good won/loss record considering that point differential.

In combination it was a young Crowd coach. We give away a quarterback who basically wasn't pursued by any other team to be its starter, yet somehow we were supposed to win big under Gase with that quarterback, and for only 2 of his 3 seasons, the other occupied by Cutler and Osweiler.

I like the new regime better but I suspect we're in for a poor season in which we come to grips with how difficult it is to win the coin flip games in this league. We were taking that for granted under Gase, who not only won the coin flips games with regularity but also 2-3 per season we had no business winning based on situational math in the 4th quarter.
GASE cost us just as many if not more games than he won with his coaching moves/decisions. Ex: his very first game in Seattle, passed up on a 20 yd field goal to go for a forth down play. No first down, no 3 points = MIAMI LOSS BY 2 POINTS (Seattle 12, Miami 10). Right from the start I never thought Gase had a game plan, unless you want to call WR screen right, WR screen left a game plan?

Oh yes, he certainly was. The biggest improvement on the OL will be that they will know WHAT to do. On the majority of plays under Gase, the guys didn’t even know who to block. That’s coaching.

Same on the other side of the ball. So many times the entire defense was out of position because they just didn’t know what to do, i.e., who needs to cover whom. I have high hopes that this will change with the new coaching staff and it will allow the guys to play faster.
100% agree. It always seemed that Miami was free lancing majority of the times, especially on defense. How many times did we see a TE running free down the seem? A LOTZ! Win or Lose you can believe this staff will have players accountable for their assignment(s), assignment football is what Flores called it. Our team will now be playing to the teams weaknesses, NOT a square peg round hole approach.

No doubt. And "IF" Rosen is our man, I can see 2 O-Lineman in the first 3 rounds.

Agreed. Trade back to get another 2nd and/or third. Use BPA in 1st round then navigate the 5 day 2 picks to make the OL, WR, and CB spots better.

Yeah man, this is the very type of thinking we see every.single.season. If everything goes perfectly - our NO DEPTH team has ZERO issues and all the lucky plays break our way, our match ups are perfect, no bad calls in crucial moments... if everything goes perfectly, then we can get xxxx wins.

Every single season people are just super optimistic, failing to realize every other team in the NFL believes they improved too. Failing to realize injuries will happen, a lack of depth will be exposed, referees are going to make bad calls.

This team is going to be bad next season, and it doesn't make me a bad fan or a miserable person... I just see it every single season, y'all call for 10-12 wins when we get 7-8... this season you're optimistic we'll win up to 10 games, really? If everything goes perfectly... this could be an 8 win team... but you're being realistic it's more like 5 wins - that's assuming our coach isn't bad.

No depth on the OL, low expected talent on the entire right side of the OL, question marks on the WR core including injuries and inconsistent play, question marks on TE, question marks on depth at RB... and an entire defense that doesn't scare anyone. An expected solid DT rotation, a great #1 CB, and good safeties... LB's that are up and coming but still not the best and a complete void at CB, depth in the secondary, and at DE.

And contrary to what has become popular belief... Gase was not a bad coach. He was very flawed coaching a very flawed team and made a lot of questionable playcalls but he was actually a pretty good game manager. Some guy responded above how we were in the hunt late in the season despite X X X X X - that actually shows Gase was able to manage a sinking ship better than given credit for (to be clear, I'm not some Gase advocate, but he wasn't a horrible coach, either).

I'm interested. It's near universally accepted Gase was awful at player evaluation and development, gameplans, play-calling, identifying and using mismatches, correcting consistent errors, selecting staff, handling 'personalities,' clock management, and selecting FAs. What exactly was he good at? I'll help. To his credit, the drafts were better than previous coaches, but he had help.

Won some games he shouldn't? You mean like every other NFL HC. That's a weak argument. Philbin got Miami to 8-8 with back-to-back wins aver PIT and NE. He had similar success every year. Does that make him a good coach? No, I'm more inclined to think there was more talent than some admit, in spite of the HC. We will know by game '16 this year.

we haven't drafted an OL worth a damn outside of the 1st round in how long...? 15 years or so? what makes you guys think Dieter will be any different? outside of Tunsil this OL is a joke right now, it will probably need to be blown up next offseason yet again

No doubt. And "IF" Rosen is our man, I can see 2 O-Lineman in the first 3 rounds.
Same. If we keep our 5 picks in the first 3 rounds and don’t feel the need to upgrade the QBS position I can see is getting 2 linemen, at least 1 pass rusher and some secondary help. We could be looking at an entirely different team in 2020 and that has me excited!

Exactly. Very few of these guys are awful coaches. You might have one example per franchise of a Dallas Thomas-caliber head coach. Gase certainly wasn't close to that level. He is a strange guy whose teams here had extreme tendencies in both directions, like excellent at home but terrible on the road. Lousy point differential but incredibly good won/loss record considering that point differential.

In combination it was a young Crowd coach. We give away a quarterback who basically wasn't pursued by any other team to be its starter, yet somehow we were supposed to win big under Gase with that quarterback, and for only 2 of his 3 seasons, the other occupied by Cutler and Osweiler.

I like the new regime better but I suspect we're in for a poor season in which we come to grips with how difficult it is to win the coin flip games in this league. We were taking that for granted under Gase, who not only won the coin flips games with regularity but also 2-3 per season we had no business winning based on situational math in the 4th quarter.

Oh Gase could scheme guys wide open with the best of them. He and his staff just struggled with the basics and technique. That was a big complaint from the OL.

Every team, every fan(s) can say this every year. So why not be optimistic??? Sooner or later everything falls in place for teams (look at the Browns). For the first time I can actually say that I am very pleased with everything this regime has done up to this point. Did we get a edge rusher, NO, but not every hole could have been addressed in 1 draft, especially this draft, and a limited # of picks. This team is a better position than they have been in 15+ years. Besides, this regime is all about flexibility, not only with the schemes but the players as well. Be patient, lets see what this staff does on game days, because our staff failed the team, the players, and the organization for the past 15 years+.

You seem to have lost the point of my original post. This team is going to suck this year, I have no problem with the direction of this offseason, for once.

But make no mistake, we are going to be bad this upcoming season.

Funny 2nd. day of OTA's in shorts no less and OL running around tires and not even hitting and some already throwing in the towel.

Have no problem in throwing in the towel if their is some form of actual substantial evidence that out of the 6-8 guys we've brought in for the OL non can be an improvement? Including the right side...and its not that the past standards
would be tuff to be better than. I mean beating mediocre kinda covers it LOL.

It's like judging players by how well they look in their shorts.... Nothing wrong with criticism, but for Gods sakes, You think actually seeing them and how they perform in actual pads and hitting, might, just be useful in making any kind of sane evaluation... Now I know opinions drawn from totally abstract past predicaments and names that aren't headlines makes sense to some.... But you might give it a breather and see a week or two into real camp with the pads on actually shows....

And with the OL's we've had the past forever, them just leaving is a coming together for our OL...

Just watched Jordan Mills interview. I can see why Flores and Grier would be interested in bringing him in on the cheap. Seems like the type of player they are looking for. Well spoken, confident, seems to be a team oriented guy. Okay stop gap or decent backup.

Agreed. Trade back to get another 2nd and/or third. Use BPA in 1st round then navigate the 5 day 2 picks to make the OL, WR, and CB spots better.
Not sure about that approach next years draft, we will already have 2 two rounders and 2 third rounders. Then again, trade back and get another first for the 2021 season.

we haven't drafted an OL worth a damn outside of the 1st round in how long...? 15 years or so? what makes you guys think Dieter will be any different? outside of Tunsil this OL is a joke right now, it will probably need to be blown up next offseason yet again
What makes you think that Dieter WON'T be??? After all, the picks outside the first round in the last 15 years were selected by a different GM/Coach, etc. This staff seems to have a grand plan (overall) at all levels. Until proven different, I am a believer. Dieter will be our LG along side Tunsil for the next 10 years. :cheers::good::hclap::pbj::woot:

Back
Top Bottom