New theory on the top pick (from a Niners' fan) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

New theory on the top pick (from a Niners' fan)

49ersFan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Let me 1st say, that if the 49ers remain at #1, I believe they will take Alex Smith.

I also believe Miami and Tampa's interest in Alex Smith is feign (or fake if I didn't use the correct term).

I don't buy the notion that the 49ers are undecided (VP of player personnel Scot McCloughan was quoted as saying "I have no clue who coach Nolan wants to draft").

I think the reason the 49ers have been secretive and haven't let the cat out the bag is that they are holding out the hope that they can trade down.

It appears that Smith and Braylon Edwards and possibly Mike Williams are emerging as the prospects worth trading up for.

The 49ers have come out and said that they are receiving trade offers for the #1 pick from many teams (in the top 10) for Smith, Edwards, and one of the RBs-believed to be Cedric Benson.

If Smith goes at #1 to another team it is presumed the 49ers could trade down and still get Rodgers.

No. I think it's Antrel Rolle.

Nolan is a defensive guy. Aside from John Elway, he won without a "franchise" QB in New York (both the Giants and Jets), and Baltimore. The 49ers have liked Rolle for a long time. They scouted him extensively during the college football season, and Nolan sees him as an Ed Reed/Ray Lewis type in terms of talent and leadership. He was also one of the four players the 49ers brought in town for private workouts and pre-draft meetings. McCloughan said there isn't alot separating the QBs in this draft (I know the 49ers like Campbell and Orton).

The 49ers are also moving Mike Rumph to safety.

While the team seems destined for a QB, I think Nolan would prefer to trade down and draft Rolle.

You heard it from me 1st (of course this means **** if they sign one of the 3 they are currently negotiating with).

Antrel Rolle is a helluva player...

I, like everyone else, dunno how this draft is going to play out but I think that you guys are gonna stay at #1 and pick one of the QBs, it's going to be fun on Saturday.

that all makes sense except, someone moving up to #1 to get Benson. that I can't see happening. the rest are all plausible. Sat. will tell us.

Well I'll agree that the 9ers need a QB more so then the Dolphins. I just think that Rogers is better suited for their offense. But I also think that Smith is better for the long term. So who's to say.

With the limit of the talent in this draft, I think everyone's playing it low key.

I do think all three of the top teams would trade down if they could.I doubt that there are three teams that want to trade up that far .So basically the top three teams are competing for a tradedown partner which will probably lower their picks value.Teams who want to trade up will be playing one team off against the other.

49ersFan said:
Let me 1st say, that if the 49ers remain at #1, I believe they will take Alex Smith.

I also believe Miami and Tampa's interest in Alex Smith is feign (or fake if I didn't use the correct term).

I don't buy the notion that the 49ers are undecided (VP of player personnel Scot McCloughan was quoted as saying "I have no clue who coach Nolan wants to draft").

I think the reason the 49ers have been secretive and haven't let the cat out the bag is that they are holding out the hope that they can trade down.

It appears that Smith and Braylon Edwards and possibly Mike Williams are emerging as the prospects worth trading up for.

The 49ers have come out and said that they are receiving trade offers for the #1 pick from many teams (in the top 10) for Smith, Edwards, and one of the RBs-believed to be Cedric Benson.

If Smith goes at #1 to another team it is presumed the 49ers could trade down and still get Rodgers.

No. I think it's Antrel Rolle.

Nolan is a defensive guy. Aside from John Elway, he won without a "franchise" QB in New York (both the Giants and Jets), and Baltimore. The 49ers have liked Rolle for a long time. They scouted him extensively during the college football season, and Nolan sees him as an Ed Reed/Ray Lewis type in terms of talent and leadership. He was also one of the four players the 49ers brought in town for private workouts and pre-draft meetings. McCloughan said there isn't alot separating the QBs in this draft (I know the 49ers like Campbell and Orton).

The 49ers are also moving Mike Rumph to safety.

While the team seems destined for a QB, I think Nolan would prefer to trade down and draft Rolle.

You heard it from me 1st (of course this means **** if they sign one of the 3 they are currently negotiating with).

One problem...neither Campbell or Orton are west coast type quarterbacks...so picking them either means the 49ers are dropping the WSO or they don't know what their doing. Picking Rolle instead of Rodgers or Edwards would be the worst pick choice...they could take....frankly it doesn't make sense. Rolle isn't the far away best corner in this draft...and I see C. Rodgers being a better choice...at a better price. Taking Rolle will not improve them as much as taking a QB or Receiver.

fishypete said:
One problem...neither Campbell or Orton are west coast type quarterbacks...so picking them either means the 49ers are dropping the WSO or they don't know what their doing. Picking Rolle instead of Rodgers or Edwards would be the worst pick choice...they could take....frankly it doesn't make sense. Rolle isn't the far away best corner in this draft...and I see C. Rodgers being a better choice...at a better price. Taking Rolle will not improve them as much as taking a QB or Receiver.

I think Orton would do better in a west coast offense.

A quote from scout.coms 2005 draft mag

Orton has abilities to play in a short passing game!

Campbell played in a WCO his senior season. Also, I'm not implying they'd take Rolle at #1. The 49ers have many needs, they need to take the best player period.

Sounds like a possibility, 9erFan.

If that's the case I wouldn't advise San Fran going any lower than #5, otherwise they risk losing Rolle.

This draft needs to get here already.

Cobra said:
I would absolutely LOVE to see a Hurricane go #1 in the draft!!!

they haven't had one since...what.....russell maryland?

I still think this last minute switch is nothing more than to try and take the power away from Miami. San Fran will pick Rodgers if they stay at the first spot.

i don't think our interest in smith is feigned.... (BTW it is feigned, not feign).

i know i honestly want him, as do 80% of the people on this board. Saban could be blowing smokescreen on smith as much as he is on any other player, though, so who's to say.

but i think most dolfans would take smith over rodgers - at least thats what all the polls here have stated.

I think they're taking Rodgers. All this other stuff is designed to generate a trade offer they can't refuse.

Back
Top Bottom