News out of Kansas City on Surtain | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

News out of Kansas City on Surtain

stickman

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
Carl Peterson had his pre-draft press conference today, stated that contrary to reports out of Miami, no agreement whatsoever had been made with Pat. He said they never agreed on salary or bonus or anything.

Personally I am tired of all the rumors, bring on the draft.

old news.

and Carl Peterson is the only one saying this. He forgets there is a guy named Surtain, who is the actual person up for discussion, that would inform Miami of things.

If I remember correctly, PAt Surtain is a top CB in the NFL. We wont find his replacement in this draft. Hopefully we can rework some other players numbers and keep the guy. Outside an injury slowing him down, his wheels still have 5 good years on them. We are better with him than without.

Surtain wants more $, we want to pay him less. We can keep him this year and let him go to FA, or we can accept that this probably isn't our year and try to get something in return by trading him..... we can get a 2nd rounder and maybe another 2nd day pick for him.

So the bottom line is Surtain is either gone this year for a high draft pick, or gone next year for nothing. What's the point of keeping that gynoromous salary when it's a one year investment that you'll get nothing in return for. Let's get Will Poole experience and build a strong team for the future... keeping Surtain only has one purpose..... to shutdown recievers until we find someone younger and cheaper. It's just not worth it.

AirChambers84 said:
Surtain wants more $, we want to pay him less. We can keep him this year and let him go to FA, or we can accept that this probably isn't our year and try to get something in return by trading him..... we can get a 2nd rounder and maybe another 2nd day pick for him.

So the bottom line is Surtain is either gone this year for a high draft pick, or gone next year for nothing. What's the point of keeping that gynoromous salary when it's a one year investment that you'll get nothing in return for. Let's get Will Poole experience and build a strong team for the future... keeping Surtain only has one purpose..... to shutdown recievers until we find someone younger and cheaper. It's just not worth it.

Or we could franchise him.

Franchise him for about 10 Mio $ Cap Hit. Great

And tie up about $18M in our 2 corners. Surtain is as good as gone, because that's never going to happen.

phillyphinphan said:
I mean I love Sutain as much as any dolphan but do you really want the bloodletting thats going to happen if we tag him for 8-10 mil next year? I sure as hell don't...

Just tag him next year then trade him....teams do it all the time. I highly doubt that we'll lose PS next year for nothing. If by some chance we do, then we'll have plenty of cap space for a replacement & most likely a 3rd compensatory pick the following year.

With that being said, I strongly believe that he'll be wearing another uniform next season but it might not be a KC uni...:cooldude:

i DONT understand how Oakland was able to trade Buchanan for a 2nd AND 3rd round pick.....yet we cant even get a 2nd rounder for Patrick Surtain???

DreamWeaver said:
Just tag him next year then trade him....teams do it all the time. I highly doubt that we'll lose PS next year for nothing. If by some chance we do, then we'll have plenty of cap space for a replacement & most likely a 3rd compensatory pick the following year.

With that being said, I strongly believe that he'll be wearing another uniform next season but it might not be a KC uni...:cooldude:

That scenario creates a couple of problems 1. we'll be in the same position next year as this one only we will be trying to trade an older surtain (who does not have a contract which complicates any trade) 2. if there are no taker's we're stuck with the cap hit which will paralyze and FA and Draft pick negotiation in '06....

FireWrongstedt said:
Carl Peterson Edited by Admin I'm sick of him.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :lol: :lol: :lol: but oh sooooooooo wrong...:shakeno: :shakeno:

phillyphinphan said:
That scenario creates a couple of problems 1. we'll be in the same position next year as this one only we will be trying to trade an older surtain (who does not have a contract which complicates any trade) 2. if there are no taker's we're stuck with the cap hit which will paralyze and FA and Draft pick negotiation in '06....

Yeah, I'm just saying that there are always options...certainly, franchising PS next season isn't a great option but next year he'll be a 30+yr old CB and may not be so rigid with his contract demands.

Back
Top Bottom