Next move in Sammy Knight negotiations. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Next move in Sammy Knight negotiations.

Samphin

Dolphins Homer
Reaction score
My opinion in this whole Sammy Knight situation, is that we have to make the next move. We offered him a low-ball contract offer. He countered by lowering his demands. I think Miami would be wise to up the offer a tad just to show that both sides are willing to sacrifice to get this done. Hopefully, we can get this done before he goes up to Packerland.

can't offer what you DON'T have......who knows just how low his demands have become......remember he opted OUT of a $1.95mil deal so obviously he was looking for more than that......he may be "down" to that same figure now.....

i'd be very upset if we had to cut some of our quality depth for this guy......and if we cut rodgers now we barely get any relief at all(i think...)

how can we lowball a guy that has received basically the same offer by 2 teams with NO interest elsewhere in the nfl??

there has to be a high market in order for an offer to be a lowball offer.....

Besides his agent has already made the next move..he gave Miami a counteroffer today...so it's in Miami's hand..we have about a 1 mil more in cap space than GB, so we could squeeze just a little more if we have to...I think we just don't want to over pay..but we need to do this before 1 June, when other cut salary and then can complete with us for his services...

Bodz,
Althought Knight did opt out of a 1.95 Mil deal it doesnt mean he'd take less to be with a contender...
He was abviously fed up with the Saints organization (which is building a bad reputation) and wanted out...
Also i wouldnt be upset if we cut some quality depth for this guy because Sammy brings ,in my opinion, more to the table than some quality depth....He's a former pro-bowler who could teach a thing or two to Freeman and definately help the team...
I think the time is for the fins not to counteroffer but to evaluate the situation...
Odds are we might not be able to sign Griese if we accept the terms Knight has asked for...Now that Knight has lowered his contract offer (should be above 1Mil) do we break the bank (we don't have much cap space) and go for him...or wait and see...hoping nobody pounces on him and he has to lower once again his contract demands...Then we could get Griese and Knight...However i think we'd be taken too big a chance...GB needs him and they'll pounce on him...Go get him!

Bodzilla29, I meant lowballed by his standards. If he wants say 1.5 mil and we offer 1 mil, it is a lowball offer. I also, don't think Sammy Knight's expectations are still way up by 2 mil. Besides, we can offer a little more than the reported 500,000 we offered him.

well apparently this is the first time in the offseason that he has lowered his demands, so who is to say that his standards as of yesterday weren't still high?

what i'm saying is that we don't know the numbers so we can only speculate the numbers being thrown around.....we may have lowballed him or been in his ballpark.....we wont know unless he signs.....because obviously we wont budge very far from our stance.....

Don't forget we need some of that $$$ to sign our draft picks...

Bodzilla, you could very well be right. My line of thinking though was that he had to have seen the lower offers he was getting form the two teams and probably lowered his demands as a bargaining tool. Kind of saying ok, I am willing to lower my demands, meet me half way. Hopefully this gets cleared up soon and he is ours.

We haven't paid for our Draft Pick yets....ugh

Some times when we're discussing situations, I forget we're only fans..This thread almost sounds like we were in the FO of the Fins..
maybe we need to post resume's for the fins to consider:lol:

The best thing about not having a 1st rd pick...........Usually No hold-outs

That 2.8 million is all for free agents. Remember, rookies get allocated a certain percentage of the cap before you draft, so that number is being taken into consideration when they give the 2.8 million under. In essence, we probably have 1.8 million to spend because Wanny likes to keep about a million for emergencies during the season......

Green bay has more high picks to sign and less cap space, outbidding should be easy unless Wlfe plays smart and make it bonus heavy front ended deal for Knight, that will last until Favre retires and he can outbid to keep him. Two year deal with good bonus, only way to save more is to make it longer so the bonuse spreads over several years.
There should be no blowing this one, you have two advantages over him, I bet he goes nowhere until after June 1 cuts when he may get more.

Back
Top Bottom