Next Year's Cap Casualties | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Next Year's Cap Casualties

Cranx

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
I'm curious as to who some of you think will become our cap casualties next year. Considering we'll probably be in the same cap situation as last year I would think that one or two people will have to go. My predictions are:

1. Tim Bowens- the 'Fins are youth oriented and Tim's not getting any younger
2. Oronde Gadsden- see above

I can't think of anyone else, and I hope neither of these guys wind up out there but that's the nature of the game. Now I'm wondering what you think...

Not that it doesn't matter, but the season hasn't even started and some of you guys are concerned about the 2003 offseason. Our focus needs to be here now. I want a damn Super Bowl!!!

OG's contract ends this year. They might extend him before the season begins though. If not, he won't be back I dont think.

They won't make the mistake of cutting TimBo unless we signed someone else or took care of our DT situation which is already thin since we released DG (he was slated to be in the DT rotation part time).

If we draft a DT first round next year, yeah TimBo gone. If nobody available or Larry Chester is disappointing, yeah TimBo stay. If we signed Sam Adams RIGHT NOW, TimBo could be gone sooner than we think.

Originally posted by chambers84
Not that it doesn't matter, but the season hasn't even started and some of you guys are concerned about the 2003 offseason. Our focus needs to be here now. I want a damn Super Bowl!!!

This is just a time killing thread until we start getting some TC information bro. When camp opens, I don't think we'll be too worried about 2003 for awhile so have a Coke and smile and have fun with it. :p

I've said this a thousand times before I guess I'll keep sayin it. Fan-Player distinction. Thats it. Learn to distinguish between a fan and a player. PLAYERS need to be focused on 2002 and getting to a super bowl. FANS can think about whatever the heck they want to. Especially in the absence of news. No matter how much you may hate this fact, focusing your energies purely on this season and refusing to allow your thoughts wander toward 2003, will not help the dolphins win a super bowl this year even on a microscopic level.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
I've said this a thousand times before I guess I'll keep sayin it. Fan-Player distinction. Thats it. Learn to distinguish between a fan and a player. PLAYERS need to be focused on 2002 and getting to a super bowl. FANS can think about whatever the heck they want to. Especially in the absence of news. No matter how much you may hate this fact, focusing your energies purely on this season and refusing to allow your thoughts wander toward 2003, will not help the dolphins win a super bowl this year even on a microscopic level.

OK Dr.

Is Timbo really a possibility for release next season? Didn't he just sign a cap-friendly new contract?

Ruddy won't be a cap casualty. But he'll be gone just the same. I really hope Troy Andrew lands on the roster in 2003 behind McKinney.

Tim Bowens' 2003 base salary is only 850K. I don't see him leaving next year for cap purposes. 2004 is a more realistic (if he is indeed released).

Bowens will be here a few more years with his new deal. I think he could play the whole contract out since he loves Miami and I just can't see him leaving, even if he is released again in a few years. I think Ruddy will be a cap casulaty and this could also happen to Derrick Rodgers.

Tim Ruddy is for sure gone after this year. If Todd Perry makes it through tjis camp he's gone as well. Gadsen or McKnight will be released as well as Rodgers if he doesn't cut it this year.

Our whole O-line is going to be FA after this year or be in jeopardy of being released save Wade.

Dixon is in jeopardy only due to injuries and if he gets injured again I could say he'd be gone.

If McKnight plays like last year he's gone too.

Originally posted by Expo88
I'm curious as to who some of you think will become our cap casualties next year. Considering we'll probably be in the same cap situation as last year I would think that one or two people will have to go. My predictions are:

I can't think of anyone else, and I hope neither of these guys wind up out there but that's the nature of the game. Now I'm wondering what you think...

Unless Oronde has a break out year,...he will restructure or sign for the minnimum.

Originally posted by Expo88

Whew you whiffed on those pretty big

A) Gadsden is a Free Agent therefore cannot be a cap casualty. He wouldn't be back here anyways even if we had major cap room. He's got 2 years left in those toes and that's it.

B) As long as Timbo stays relatively healthy and plays at a consistent level he's probably going to play out his entire contract here. He signed a 5 year $15 million deal which is a solid contract for an above avg DT.

2002 650000.00
2003 850000.00
2004 2250000.00
2005 3100000.00
2006 3500000.00

My choices for who bites the big one include:

Tim Ruddy
Derrick Rodgers

My position of interest for the 2003 offseason? The offensive line. Boy if you thought we had troubles this year try this one on for size.

Mark Dixon, Brent Smith, Marcus Spriggs, Leon Searcy, Troy Andrew. All FA's with Todd Wade going into the final year of his contract.

So next year our starters are Todd Wade, Todd Perry (I doubt he gets cut unless he plays a brutal year this year) and Seth McKinney with possibly Jamie Nails if he truly make a comeback.

Back
Top Bottom