NFCE Foes for this year. D featured in this thread | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFCE Foes for this year. D featured in this thread

MDFINFAN

Reach for the Stars
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
In a thread earlier I stated that I knew the Dolphins team well and the AFCE pretty well, but didn't know all our opponents offseason moves and what they may bring..so I decided to learn about who we were playing and our chances against them.

This thread will concentrate on their D..I'll do their O in another thread since this can get a bit long..

Went to ESPN and got Len Pasquarelli veiws on them..Here's what he said about the NFCE:

DL:
"Certainly all four teams have experience, and in some cases even quality depth, but the offseason has shaken the defensive line units up a bit and there will likely be even more scrambling before the commencement of the regular season. The respective defensive line uncertainty, across the board in the NFC East, is arguably the most obvious common denominator in the division."

Dallas has the smallest DL avg...284 pounds ...#15 against the run last year..Can we say "Run Ricky Run"

The Eagle no longer have Hugh Douglas at DE: Pasquarelli words:
"There is no lack of candidates -- including veterans N.D. Kalu and Derrick Burgess, along with the rookies -- but until one of the bunch turns potential into production, Philadelphia remains absent a proven outside pass rush threat and a team that could well man the right end position by committee." Jay may have time to find recievers. In terms of stopping the run, only the Eagles, who ranked No. 9 statistically, were among the top 10 defenses in 2002. But the Eagles can roll in defensive linemen in waves after a draft which added two likely rookie contributors in former University of Miami starters Jerome McDougle and Jamaal Green. But the eagles also lost starting LB's Shawn Barber and Barry Gardner.

The Redskins seem to know who will start on the front four, but the assimilation of two new starters added through free agency, tackle Brandon Noble and end Regan Upshaw, must still be achieved. Upshaw is projected to replace Smith at right end, meaning that the No. 2 sack man in league history will have to pursue Reggie White's career record as a situational performer.
Plus they got our old bu DT..if he's not suspended.In terms of stopping the run, Washington was 12th. A more noticeable loss will likely be Gardener, who bolted to the Broncos. Despite a recurring back injury, Gardener was probably the Redskins' best player last season, and will be missed -- as will young defensive end Carl Powell, who followed Lewis to the Bengals. The secondary and linebacker corps should remain solid, but the D-line is a bit of a question mark. Run Ricky Run.

New York might appear well positioned, but the Giants still need Kenny Holmes to be the complement to Strahan he has failed to become in his two Giants seasons, and there is a cloud hovering over Keith Hamilton. The veteran tackle is attempting to come back from an Achilles injury, no small feat at age 32, and he was recently arrested and could be charged with drug possession. That could bring him under league scrutiny. The Giants added first-round pick William Joseph and need him and veteran Cornelius Griffin to play well for them inside. Just two years ago, Griffin seemed poised to move into an elite tackle group, a 300-pounder who moved so well that he was often asked to drop and cover in zone-blitz situations. But the three-year veteran, while still very solid, hasn't become special yet. In terms of stopping the run, the Giants were in the middle of the pack. While the linebacking corps returns intact, Dhani Jones and Brandon Short haven't been consistent playmakers and Mike Barrow, who's still productive, is getting long in the tooth at age 33. Run Ricky Run, Rob out of the backfield and TE play should be good in this one.

Now that I know a little more about some of our opponents I feel even better about our team as long as they stay healthy.

Oh by the way, the complete reports can be gotten from

Offseason Overviews

I don't think any of these teams have bad defenses. The Cowboys are a terrible team but their defense is solid and has been for a few seasons now. The Eagles lost a few good players but also have a good defense. The Redskins have good corners and good LBs, while the Giants defense has the second best DE in the league (behind Taylor) in Michael Strahan.

The Giants and Eagles will be tough as they always have solid defensive play. The Cowboys will also be tough, but not that strong. With the loss of Gardener I think the Skins rushing D will not be as strong. If we lose to either the Cowboys or Skins, it will be a disappointing season (though the Cowboys game will be very tough coming off a Sunday night game).

Back
Top Bottom