'NFL 100 Greatest' Games, No. 4: 'The Epic in Miami' | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

'NFL 100 Greatest' Games, No. 4: 'The Epic in Miami'

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
The "NFL 100 Greatest" ranks the top 100 games in NFL history, and the San Diego Chargers vs. Miami Dolphins clash in the 1981 AFC Divisional Round lands at No. 4.

The "NFL 100 Greatest" ranks the top 100 games in NFL history, and the 1974 AFC Divisional Round clash between the Miami Dolphins and Oakland Raiders lands at No. 23.

No game this team ever played brought the range of emotions to me as this one. From disgust to euphoria to heartbreak. It really was one of the greatest games ever.
I agree, I watched that game. Didn’t they have to carry Kevin Winslow off the field?

I agree, I watched that game. Didn’t they have to carry Kevin Winslow off the field?

And I love what Kuechenberg said about that, he basically called Winslow a ***** for not walking off himself. Kuech said no matter what if you’re an NFL pro you walk off yourself, you find a way to carry yourself off

I know exactly where I was during that game. That lateral to end the first half was just amazing. Our kicker costed us that game not once but twice. Still, even tho we lost it was a great game.

They did. He was dehydrated or something. I believe he blocked / got a hand on 2 of Uwe’s GW attempts - the one at the end of regulation and the one in OT - to go w his insane receiving performance.

I close my eyes and I still see Bruce Hardy catching a Marino-like dime over the shoulder and down the middle for a 50 yard TD to tie the game up at 31. Then I see Tony Nathan taking the pitch to the right and cutting it up for the go ahead 38-31 lead. Finally, we get a pick and should be running out the clock. But Andre Franklin fumbles after being stacked up and driven Backwards by like 9 guys. Today’s rules his forward progress was stopped an eternity before the fumble. Fouts than transitions into legend. But Strock would get us into FG range for the last play of regulation. Uwe - laces out!

Also, teams didn’t come back from 24-0 in those days. I wonder if that game will start to fade in significance as teams seem to overcome these situations every week now due to rule changes / the way the game is played.

Probably the only loss in Miami history that I would rewatch.
And that sums up beautifully just how as a fan of the sport, one can appreciate the bigger picture all these years later. Well said.

The "NFL 100 Greatest" ranks the top 100 games in NFL history, and the Chicago Bears vs. Miami Dolphins matchup from Week 13 of the 1985 season lands at No. 29.

Epic game. The Bears were the eventual champs and they dominated all year, but this game hurt them bad in their pride.

So, is the list all finished? I see three Dolphin games listed in this forum, but there's no way some of those Jet games from the Marino era aren't listed. One of them was 51-45, I think, which even in the present era would be very exciting, but back then? Just didn't happen. And the fake spike game.

I hate that clip of the tipped ball that goes to Clayton for a TD. The game was long over by then. We jumped all over them and even blocked a punt prior to Half that led to points. Yeah, they made the score respectable in the same way the Texans made the score respectable after falling behind us 41-0 at the half a few years ago. That clip just feeds revisionist history. Anyone who saw and remembers the game knows that play had zero to do w the outcome. Bears got a couple garbage scores.

Back
Top Bottom