'NFL 100 Greatest' Games, No. 4: 'The Epic in Miami' | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

'NFL 100 Greatest' Games, No. 4: 'The Epic in Miami'

Kellon Winslow killed us, that man played with heart coming back after being carted off on a stretcher, they don't make em like that anymore...
Remember Shula yelling at his defenders to stop helping him up after a play? I guess even the Miami players respected what he was doing out there that day. I still can’t believe he blocked 2 GW FGs. I wonder if we fare any better than SD did at Cincy in the sub zero temps the next game.

No doubt...it was a classic!

I remember thinking it was over early...so disappointed...then it turned into a long classic drama!

This game was my biggest heartbreaker... the end of the dream...knowing Csonka, Warfield and Kiick we’re gone as well.

I often felt the negativity of knowing that was their last season ahead of time killed the chemistry...we still should have won that game and faced the Steelers in the AFC Championship...We had won 3 afc championships in a row!

what a magical night. been waiting 34 years to feel that way again.

Why is it that the epic games we LOST always seem to rank higher?! SMH.

I was just shy of 11 when that game was played and it crushed my spirit for months! I remember how deflated I was once SD got out to that big 1st quarter lead, but how euphoric I was at halftime.

Hypothetically, for those that watched the game, had MIA managed to win it (thanks a lot Von Shank), do you think Dolphins would have fared any better in the -59 wind chill in Cincinnati than the Chargers did?

If so, do you think that team could have taken down the Niners — who wasn’t near as good as their ‘84 team?

I’ve always wondered what could have been with a competent kicker.

Btw, I found a DVD copy of the entire game years ago on EBay and subject myself to the pain from time to time. While it still hurts to this day, it still was a classic.

#100: 1982 AFC Championship vs. New York Jets (Mud Bowl)
#94: 1982 Week 14 vs. New England Patriots (Snowplow Game)
#91: 1986 Week 3 vs. New York Jets (Ken O’Brien vs. Dan Marino shootout)
#83: 1994 Week 13 vs. New York Jets (Marino’s fake spike)
#79: 1985 AFC Divisional Playoff vs. Cleveland Browns (Marino’s 18 point comeback)
#73: 1983 Super Bowl XVII vs. Washington Redskins
#43: 2000 Week 8 vs. New York Jets (Monday Night Miracle)
#29: 1985 Week 13 vs. Chicago Bears (Dolphins deny Chicago a perfect season)
#23: 1974 AFC Divisional Playoff vs. Oakland Raiders (Sea of Hands Game)
#18: 1971 AFC Divisional Playoff vs. Kansas City Chiefs (NFL’s longest game)
#4: 1981 AFC Divisional Playoff vs. San Diego Chargers (Epic in Miami)

Not many recent games on there! Don't know why the Snow Plow game is considered a 'great' game? One cheating play doth not make a great!

only the notoriety of the game accounts for it....it’s a game that people still refer too....and you can’t say that about too many games...only explanation!

There isn’t anything great about the last 20 years of Dolphin history!

I never want to hear the name Jumbo Elliot ever again
The worst part about that game: A coworker of mine at the time was a Jets fan. We had a bet on the game. The loser had to wear the other team’s hat all day at work the next day. That next day was my birthday.

only the notoriety of the game accounts for it....it’s a game that people still refer too....and you can’t say that about too many games...only explanation!

There isn’t anything great about the last 20 years of Dolphin history!
:up:

I’ve always said the SB vs Washington the ‘82 season was an underrated game in an era when just about every SB was a blowout. For some reason this game gets overlooked all the time. Glad to see it made the list. Theisman doesn’t make a great play on Bokamper (Joes best play of the game) and we win the ball game. Up 24-13 at that point in the contest, Riggins becomes irrelevant. What was special about this game was it was like a welterweight fighter going against a heavyweight- us being from the lighter class. We made a couple big plays on O and ST to get a lead, our D fought like hell against an opponent that per player probably weighed 30 pounds more than us and eventually they wore us down. But it took almost a full 60 minutes to do it. And despite that they could push us off of the ball on w their massive O-line, we only surrendered two big running plays - 1 off of a reverse and the other the dagger on that 4th and 1. While they plunged into the line for 2-4 yards at a clip all game, they couldn’t open up the airways. We picked Theisman 2x in the 2nd half. One of them set us up at their 40 but we couldn’t get a first down. The game was a white knuckler from a tension standpoint. Outcome in doubt until Riggins popped the big run.

The worst part about that game: A coworker of mine at the time was a Jets fan. We had a bet on the game. The loser had to wear the other team’s hat all day at work the next day. That next day was my birthday.

Ugh, that’s criminal

Back
Top Bottom