'NFL 100 Greatest' Games, No. 4: 'The Epic in Miami' | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

'NFL 100 Greatest' Games, No. 4: 'The Epic in Miami'

82 playoff game was the best game I ever went to but we lost. The Bowl was rockin’ emotionally drained as I have ever been.....the most euphoric game ever for was the Monday night match up with da 85 Bears. What stood out to me was Dwight Stephenson total domination of the Fridge with only one arm. For he had separated his shoulder and would hike with the good arm and then move the fridge any way he wanted giving up60- 70 pounds. Domination a la Kooch Alan Page type. Those memories keep me a fan through this 15 year dark period.

This game was my biggest heartbreaker... the end of the dream...knowing Csonka, Warfield and Kiick we’re gone as well.

I often felt the negativity of knowing that was their last season ahead of time killed the chemistry...we still should have won that game and faced the Steelers in the AFC Championship...We had won 3 afc championships in a row!
My exact reaction. Miami would have been home against Pittsburgh the following week. Tough assignment for sure, but Miami's home field advantage was significant in the Orange Bowl. We'll never know, but what a heartbreaker. Lots of little things along the way that hurt Miami too including the non-penalty call on Paul Warfield when he was absolutely mugged on a pass play. I forget who was in coverage.

As far as games go, though, just a fantastic game. I think it should rank higher and probably would 20 years ago.

I hate that clip of the tipped ball that goes to Clayton for a TD. The game was long over by then. We jumped all over them and even blocked a punt prior to Half that led to points. Yeah, they made the score respectable in the same way the Texans made the score respectable after falling behind us 41-0 at the half a few years ago. That clip just feeds revisionist history. Anyone who saw and remembers the game knows that play had zero to do w the outcome. Bears got a couple garbage scores.
The rematch in the super bowl...who wins and what score do you have?

The rematch in the super bowl...who wins and what score do you have?
I don’t think they had an answer for Dan. I think we win the game 31-24. You could run on us (like Cleveland did in the division playoffs) and it didn’t matter if Dan had the ability to move the ball through the air. I just don’t see what adjustments they could or would have made that would give them an edge. Payton might have had a better game but I dont think it matters. And their passing attack wasn’t anything special at all. In other words I don’t think they could score with us - and this from a guy who understands that defenses usually wins championships.

I don’t think they had an answer for Dan. I think we win the game 31-24. You could run on us (like Cleveland did in the division playoffs) and it didn’t matter if Dan had the ability to move the ball through the air. I just don’t see what adjustments they could or would have made that would give them an edge. Payton might have had a better game but I dont think it matters. And their passing attack wasn’t anything special at all. In other words I don’t think they could score with us - and this from a guy who understands that defenses usually wins championships.
I agree. I had 24-20 Miami in a little closer game. That's the one team Chicago couldn't matchup with that season and we know that's a huge part of the NFL. Having McMahon healthy could have swayed things a little obviously. I just don't think Buddy Ryan would have been able to make the adjustments. Dan got rid of the ball too quickly for that pass rush to be a factor.

I agree. I had 24-20 Miami in a little closer game. That's the one team Chicago couldn't matchup with that season and we know that's a huge part of the NFL. Having McMahon healthy could have swayed things a little obviously. I just don't think Buddy Ryan would have been able to make the adjustments. Dan got rid of the ball too quickly for that pass rush to be a factor.
Agreed. Allie Sherman on Monday Night Match Up before the game said as much - he called exactly how Miami would win. As a former successful coach, he knew the matchup favored us. It’s all about that - and damn we matched up against them well.

only the notoriety of the game accounts for it....it’s a game that people still refer too....and you can’t say that about too many games...only explanation!

There isn’t anything great about the last 20 years of Dolphin history!
They should make a '20 most notorious NFL games' list then

I was lucky enough to have been at that game. I attended dozens of games at the Orange Bowl and nothing compares
to that Monday night in December. The noise was deafening.

Also attended the AFC championship game lose to the Pats a month later (not a great OB memory). I would have loved to have
seen a Super Bowl rematch that year.
Not sure the Fins could have won a rematch. After that Monday night lose the Bears were playing lights out and
just destroyed everyone on there way to the Super Bowl, which ended with a beat down of the Patriots.
I was also lucky enough to be at the 1981 Chargers playoff game (I think that was #4).
The OB was a dump, but loved going to games there in the late 70's until the 1987 move to Joe Robbie.

I was only alive for two of these games, and have memories of only the freaking Monday night miracle. My pop told me it was getting late and I needed to go to bed because the game was over anyway. Man was I pissed when I asked him who won in the morning.

Meanwhile I could think of a dozen or so candidates for the 100 worst nfl games ever that involve the dolphins in just the past 10 years.

Sigh.

Crushing end to our short lived dynasty that we cling to nearly 50 years later.
True but I considered us a top franchise until 1998-1999.

Actually check that - even part way into the Wanny era we were good.

Back
Top Bottom