Nfl Channel: History Of Ricky In The Nfl (revealing) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Nfl Channel: History Of Ricky In The Nfl (revealing)

DOLFANMIKE

Coaches Corner
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I just watched the history of Ricky in the NFL on NFL channel. His lousy contract after hiring his music buddies to work out his first contract. What a dumb, immature decision that was for him to make. Did you know the contract was an 8 year deal that only guarunteed him 16 million dollars. Or that many of the contract clauses to get him real money were things like him "Breaking Eric Dickersons rushing record" for bonus cash? What a bad start.

Then the helmet interviews and akward situations he put himself in. He had few friends in New Orleans and the team did little to protect him from himself or the outside pressure of stardom.

Then the Ditka Bride pictures. Sorry, but no way does he see that and not feel like a whack job. How embarrassing. More to be depressed about in life.

Then the injuries and losing season in New Orleans. He realizes not only is he not going to make money there, but that he also will be too banged up every year to make any cash for all the punishment he's taking.

Then recovery health wise for a solid year for the Saints. But then he gets traded to Miami after problems with the Saints coach. He also mentioned at that point he might want to quit football and play Baseball instead.

The rest here you all know after he arrived in Miami.
- Remember his first few months here getting pulled over by police in his Hummer (his fault).
- The Great first year here on the field. Fans love him in Miami. But secretly he he fails a drug test.
Then his second season here, disappointing finish (no playoffs despite 10 wins), another failed drug test in December (Shouldnt he be thinking about playoffs rather than partying with pot in December)
- then the world travel this off season,..... now the retirement.

The more I think about it, the more I see him still as a troubled individual needing some balance in his life. I think we all assumed because he was having a good career with us that he was doing ok.....but looking back I don't think thats the case. I think Ricky failing the second drug test triggered a deeper phase of his manic depression. Add that to him being a little immature and you have the situation we see now IMO.

The show had more, but these were the things that stood out to me. Try to catch the rerun tomorrow...its worth seeing

The contract Ricky signed was without a doubt the worst in the modern day NFL. However, it isn't quite as it seems. He wanted the majority of his guaranteed money in the form of a signing bonus so he could invest it. So of that 16 mil in guaranteed money, he got 8.8 of it before he even put his pads on. The only incetive clauses mentioned in the TV show were the two most difficult ones....breaking the single season rushing record and surprassing Terrell Davis' totals for his first 3 seasons. it didn't mention the fact that he got 100,000 a year for simply participating in offseason workouts (which he didn't always do) and keeping his weight under 240lbs, which contradicts popular belief around here that ricky played at 250 in new orleans, as the team "requested". He did report to camp at 228 prior to the 2001 season...contrary to popular belief. The program also failed to mention that there were 26 goals he could reach each season...worth 50,000 each that's potentially 1.3 mil each season in incentives. I'm not sure what all of the 26 goals were, but i know some including rushing for 1,000 yards, making the pro bowl, and playing a particular % of snaps...not too much to ask for a top 5 pick.....additional incentives included 1mil for 1,600 yards, 1.5 mil for 1,800 yards, 2mil for 2,000 yards, and 2.5 mil for 2,100 yards (dickerson's record). The biggest incentive was the "terrell davis" clause....which included annual salaries going well over 10 mil per season if he surpassed terrell davis' first 3 years in the NFL...Something he felt he could do at the time.

I agree the wedding dress thing should be embarrassing...but he did it..it was his choice..nobody forced him to do it. You'll never catch me wearing a dress. Injuries were a problem and the saints did lose in 99. But in 00 the saints made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs....without Ricky. After that season he was in San Diego during offseason workouts...The team was very dedicated and even though the workouts were voluntary...he was the only member of the team that didn't show up. He threatened to leave football for baseball...that would've put the saints in the same situation the dolphins are in now. So instead of rolling the dice on ricky, the saints drafted Deuce in the first and the rest is history. I wouldn't blame this situation on the saints, he brought most of this on himself.

Yes, looking back many of Ricky's problems are Ricky's doing. I don't think he's a bad person, but I do think he is struggling with bipolar disorder and a little immature.

Back
Top Bottom