NFL.com: AFC East 2020 NFL Draft grades: Dolphins soar, Patriots perplex | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL.com: AFC East 2020 NFL Draft grades: Dolphins soar, Patriots perplex

Vaark

The Intra-Dimensional Felinians R Coming 2 Save Us
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score

This was the Dolphins' draft to control. They entered it with the most picks in the league, including three first-rounders, and used the boatload of capital about as well as they could. As I mentioned earlier in this piece, I'm a fan of the risk they were willing to take with their first selection. Tagovailoa's potential was too great to pass up, even with the injury concerns. Jackson and Igbinoghene went earlier than many expected them to, but in those two players, Miami might have a future starting left tackle and a tough, competitive, physical nickel back -- you need to be good at those spots to win in today's NFL. We're not here to strongly dock the Fins for those decisions, even if a case can be made that they were reaches. The Igbinoghene pick foreshadowed the Dolphins' theme for Day 2 of the draft, as the master plan of adding tough, physical, powerful talent was fully revealed with the selections of Hunt, Davis and Jones. Big fan of the work they did on the defensive line on Day 3, landing a Senior Bowl standout (Strowbridge) and a potential steal in Weaver, who didn't allow below-average explosiveness to keep him from racking up 34 sacks over the past three seasons. Last but not least, Perry -- he of 2,017 rushing yards last season -- has a chance to earn a spot as a versatile contributor who can help on offense and special teams. Now, the merits of drafting a long snapper might be debatable, but all in all, a really nice haul here.

Fins: A-
Pats C-
BEST PICK in division: Tua
MOST SURPRISING PICK: Justin Rohrwasser, K, Marshall
BIGGEST SLEEPER: Malcolm Perry, RB, Navy

Nobody better sleep on Perry, he could make our roster, and eventually become our version of Welker at the slot receiver position.
He only caught 22 passes in 4 years at Navy, I'd be pleased if he turned into our version of James White though

other graders **** on the Austin Jackson pick while applauding the Pats picking an uber athlete who played at what college?
no hypocrisy there

Grades are always interesting, but they also don't take into account player fits. That's what I like about Miami's draft. Not always the BPA at each spot, but guys who fit both the scheme and mentality -- tough, hard working, disciplined, smart. Those are the words we are hearing from Flores.

He only caught 22 passes in 4 years at Navy, I'd be pleased if he turned into our version of James White though

True, but his skill set if used right couid make him a frustrating player for our opponents to defend.

Tom Brady threw only a few passes in College...Priest Holmes was an after thought in college...Curt Warner worked in a store.

Sometimes, you forget how they were used or how much in college, and take more interest in how effective they were when used.

Grades are always interesting, but they also don't take into account player fits. That's what I like about Miami's draft. Not always the BPA at each spot, but guys who fit both the scheme and mentality -- tough, hard working, disciplined, smart. Those are the words we are hearing from Flores.
I think in time we are going to find these adjectives represent the fundamental character of our team. I certainly saw a lot of that last year.

Usually the Pats get an A for just showing up :shrug:
While the Draft grade is down, this year they got an A+ for revealing the kinder, gentler, caring side of Bill Belichick sharing his cute dog (and most trusted Patriot advisor, next to Ernie Adams) with America.

Last edited:
Shouldn't all those things you list be considered in the context of BPA anyway?

BPA is nebulous at best.

True, but his skill set if used right couid make him a frustrating player for our opponents to defend.

Tom Brady threw only a few passes in College...Priest Holmes was an after thought in college...Curt Warner worked in a store.

Sometimes, you forget how they were used or how much in college, and take more interest in how effective they were when used.

He's a straight up triple-threat...better at running than throwing. Navy didn't run a normal offense while he was there...they did EVERYTHING around him...passing and running. Kid ran for 2,000 yards and 21 TDs last year! He's not gonna run like Ricky or throw like Dan, but he can do both better than my all-time favorite Dolphin....Crash Jensen. My favorite pick in this draft...I like the grinders who can do it all.

Back
Top Bottom