NFL.com has a new four round mock draft | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL.com has a new four round mock draft

I list replacing Ogbah as a top need. Maybe THE top need.
I can't see him remaining on the team after this year, and in my mind, if we can find a top Defensive End prospect in the third round, I am all over that.
D End is such an expensive position to fill. Finding a cheap one to replace Ogbah's 16m/year? Yeah... I'd do that.
It's an excellent point. I know we talked about it before to some extent, but a GM has to weigh building for the current year and future years.

As an example, can the team afford to keep both Wilkins and Seiler down the road? DT/NT is not a current need, but it's going to be tough to keep both IMO. I think you've alluded to that before.

The BPA at 51 could be corner. It's a deep class and you can never have too many in a passing league. The trade for Ramsey very likely takes that off the table. But Howard had a down year and isn't getting younger.

You mentioned DE. It's considered a strong draft at the position and Miami's pass rush has underperformed.

The challenge is that the Dolphins don't have many picks and they appeared to take care of defensive needs in free agency.

BTW... I would hate, hate, HATE this draft. Two linemen, no RB, a pass catching TE, and a project cornerback. This is the very definition of my worst fear.
Ehh, I mean you cant HATE on the Freeland pick too much, but after that ehhh. I guess drafting a TE for need in the third could be worse, but probably not what I wouldve done. the 6th/7th rounders, ehhhh just hoping for the best there. A corner ... we have a lot already, but you need a lot. I feel like in the 5th/6th/7th, thats a good spot to find a starter or role player at some positions. Like rb for example.. or drafting a kicker / punter for cheap lol.

and I cant fault your reasoning for the edge pick in your other post either.

Gotta be honest, an RB or TE at 51 would be disappointing. Feel like you can find 80% of the talent 2 rounds later and we can scheme up the remaining 20%. It’s not like we need elite playmakers at either position, just guys that can take advantage of the opportunities available.

BTW... I would hate, hate, HATE this draft. Two linemen, no RB, a pass catching TE, and a project cornerback. This is the very definition of my worst fear.
I’m hoping for a trade down with our second rounder (unless someone slips that we can’t pass up) and picking up another 2+picks in mid/late rounds. This draft seems to be quite deep.

I’m hoping for a trade down with our second rounder (unless someone slips that we can’t pass up) and picking up another 2+picks in mid/late rounds. This draft seems to be quite deep.
100%

I have about 4-5 guys I would take there... and the only reason that I'd take any of them is that I think they SHOULD be gone by then.

This is too stong of a RB class to take one early other than Robinson, and maybe Gibbs.

Quality RB prospects can be had on Day 3 most years and certainly this one.

TE is strong at the top but thins out pretty quickly after the top 6.

I still view completing the OL as the biggest goal for Miami and while I am always in favor of drafting DL unless a guy is just too good to pass on I am going to push that back for next year when Miami has a first and a second rounder and are more likely to add a quality edge.

My goal would be to come out of this Draft with an OL player, a TE and a RB who can help early.

They may need to trade down from one of their two Day 2 picls to accomplish that.

Not a big need, but the more I look at Jonathan Mingo the more I like. I would rather have Hill, Waddle and Mingo as my top 3 wrs than Hill, Waddle and any of the te or rb prospects that might be on the board in round 2.

Yes I under te is the bigger "need", but 5 years from now I get the feeling Mingo is going to be one of the players people are saying they wish they didn't pass on regardless of if they needed wrs at the time. I wouldn't be shocked if he's better than both of his fellow Ole Miss alums Dk Metcalf and AJ Brown. 6'2 / 225 pounds, runs in the 4.4 range. Runs smooth for his size and speed.

I doubt it happens, but if Miami were to draft Mingo, I would expect some booing and questioning on draft day and by Oct those same fans would be onboard with the selection. So much will depend on what team he lands with and what qb is throwing him the ball, but I wouldn't be shocked if he's considered one of the steals of the draft.

Last edited:
This is too stong of a RB class to take one early other than Robinson, and maybe Gibbs.

Quality RB prospects can be had on Day 3 most years and certainly this one.

TE is strong at the top but thins out pretty quickly after the top 6.

I still view completing the OL as the biggest goal for Miami and while I am always in favor of drafting DL unless a guy is just too good to pass on I am going to push that back for next year when Miami has a first and a second rounder and are more likely to add a quality edge.

My goal would be to come out of this Draft with an OL player, a TE and a RB who can help early.

They may need to trade down from one of their two Day 2 picls to accomplish that.
I don't have a problem with any of that-- although as you probably know, I am still reasonably high on Jackson. If I did add a second day lineman, I would probably be more apt to draft my favourite Guard if he slid down to round three, than I would a Tackle in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. It isn't just Eichenberg... Hunt is going to require a contract very soon, and we could lose him. Finding a guy to push Eichenberg and possibly replace Hunt seems a better use of resources to me.

I'm all-in on finding a Defensive End though... not an 'Edge', not a guy who weighs 250 lbs. I want to bring in a 280 lb guy to play hand down and if one of those guys slide. I'm all over that.

I love what Gibbs offers even though I wish he was 15 pounds heavier... He's described as Kamara-like, but Kamara is bigger, so honestly... I think we might be better with Charbonnet in the 3rd, than Gibbs in the 2nd, but yes... there are several RBs who could be had in the 4th round or so and we could trade down and still get one.

I'm NOT as high on this crop of TEs as many here... Yes, I know it's a deep crop, but I'm unconvinced about the fit of many of these guys... some of them look like Gesicki clones (without his hands), and others really don't have the run-blocking skills that I think FIT what we are doing. I REALLY wish that Spann-Ford would have declared. I would have been all over that.

I don't have a problem with any of that-- although as you probably know, I am still reasonably high on Jackson. If I did add a second day lineman, I would probably be more apt to draft my favourite Guard if he slid down to round three, than I would a Tackle in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. It isn't just Eichenberg... Hunt is going to require a contract very soon, and we could lose him. Finding a guy to push Eichenberg and possibly replace Hunt seems a better use of resources to me.

I'm all-in on finding a Defensive End though... not an 'Edge', not a guy who weighs 250 lbs. I want to bring in a 280 lb guy to play hand down and if one of those guys slide. I'm all over that.

I love what Gibbs offers even though I wish he was 15 pounds heavier... He's described as Kamara-like, but Kamara is bigger, so honestly... I think we might be better with Charbonnet in the 3rd, than Gibbs in the 2nd, but yes... there are several RBs who could be had in the 4th round or so and we could trade down and still get one.

I'm NOT as high on this crop of TEs as many here... Yes, I know it's a deep crop, but I'm unconvinced about the fit of many of these guys... some of them look like Gesicki clones (without his hands), and others really don't have the run-blocking skills that I think FIT what we are doing. I REALLY wish that Spann-Ford would have declared. I would have been all over that.
I agree on the OL. I still think jackson can be a legit Rt and would much rather add an interior guy at LG or C to really beef up the crew.

I should have said DE instead of "edge". I did not mean a glorified pass rushing LB but a real DE who would be a like for like replacement for Ogbah should the team move on from him after the season.

I like Charbonnet, Spears, McBride and Bibsby in the R3 area and a 4th round RB like Chase Brown who I would be more than happy with adding to the group the brought back, assuming the rookie would probably take Gaskin's spot.

I like LaPorta and Kraft on Day 2 but I don't love either of them, nor do I think that TE is hugely important to the offense. A really good one(who can block)would be great but it is not a must have.

It looks like they have really improved the Defense with the hiring of Fangio and the players they have added, and the players who are coming back from injury. Beef up the Ol and they are a SB contender in my view. They will go as far as a healthy Tua can take them, which is a long way.

I agree on the OL. I still think jackson can be a legit Rt and would much rather add an interior guy at LG or C to really beef up the crew.

I should have said DE instead of "edge". I did not mean a glorified pass rushing LB but a real DE who would be a like for like replacement for Ogbah should the team move on from him after the season.

I like Charbonnet, Spears, McBride and Bibsby in the R3 area and a 4th round RB like Chase Brown who I would be more than happy with adding to the group the brought back, assuming the rookie would probably take Gaskin's spot.

I like LaPorta and Kraft on Day 2 but I don't love either of them, nor do I think that TE is hugely important to the offense. A really good one(who can block)would be great but it is not a must have.

It looks like they have really improved the Defense with the hiring of Fangio and the players they have added, and the players who are coming back from injury. Beef up the Ol and they are a SB contender in my view. They will go as far as a healthy Tua can take them, which is a long way.
I don't know if he gets to 51, probably not, but Avila would be a nice pick as a versatile lineman in the middle.

Another could be Mauch as an inside/outside guy.

I get the DE idea, but I also think you look there next year unless a prospect is just too good to pass up.

Drafting Linemen is always interesting... Almost none of these guys end up playing the position that they played in college. There are very few true Guards in the college ranks as these highly drafted players were the best player on their team, and because of that, they probably played more LT than anything else during their career.

A guy who starts and finishes his college career at Guard is usually too short or too slow to play the NFL game. Occasionally you will see a Quenton Nelson type, but they are exceedingly rare. (Torrence might be one of these guys, and yes, I'd jump on him if he fell... he won't)

A lot of these guys have already started at two or three positions along the line throughout their college careers... and other than the star LT prospects, only Center tends to be a position that sticks throughout a career.

So the scouting is tough, and it's why you see so many of these guys play out of position at the Senior Bowl... The scouts already know that the star LT doesn't have the feet, or long arms (or whatever) for the pro game and are looking at his next position.

It gets even worse if the player's team was a power running team, as fewer and fewer NFL teams run this offense.

Here are a couple of examples... and yes, this comes from one guy (Lance Zierlein) and other scouts may differ in their opinions...

Matthew Bergeron: A college tackle who could be best playing inside at guard, Bergeron is evenly proportioned and wears his weight well on a compact frame. He’s a dynamic run blocker, able to excel in all three phases (positioning, sustain and finish). He’s just as capable of climbing and tagging second-level linebackers as he is at opening run lanes at the point of attack with leg drive. He’s athletic enough to play tackle, but inconsistent anchor and hand placement could cause concern for evaluators. While his protection issues are potentially correctable, Bergeron’s scheme-versatile, Pro Bowl-caliber run-blocking potential might hasten a team’s decision to move him inside.

So... he played both OT spots in college and is considered a 2nd round worthy selection, but Zierlein's comparison is Joel Bitonio, a multiple pro bowl Guard. Where did Joel play in college? LT.

Here's another: Dawand Jones

Massive right tackle with rare length but limited athleticism that impacts his consistency. Defenders accustomed to winning with power will need to switch up their approach against Jones. His physical traits help cover up some of his athletic deficiencies, while his power can be better unleashed with accurate hand strikes and a run scheme tailored to what he does best. The former high school basketball standout has decent slide quickness in protection but is unable to find his feet when attempting to match inside counters or stall out gaming fronts. Jones is a work in progress with holes that will have to be covered up with scheme help, but he should become a starting right tackle if he maintains the playing weight his team desires.

He's huge... but his only possible position seems to be RT, and even though Zierlein lists him as a second round type prospect, he seems to have his doubts that he'll be agile enough to play the position.

So... the posters who come on here and throw tantrums because all of our line selections have not worked out... well, they really don't understand the difficulty here.

Here are a couple of examples... and yes, this comes from one guy (Lance Zierlein) and other scouts may differ in their opinions...

Matthew Bergeron: A college tackle who could be best playing inside at guard, Bergeron is evenly proportioned and wears his weight well on a compact frame. He’s a dynamic run blocker, able to excel in all three phases (positioning, sustain and finish). He’s just as capable of climbing and tagging second-level linebackers as he is at opening run lanes at the point of attack with leg drive. He’s athletic enough to play tackle, but inconsistent anchor and hand placement could cause concern for evaluators. While his protection issues are potentially correctable, Bergeron’s scheme-versatile, Pro Bowl-caliber run-blocking potential might hasten a team’s decision to move him inside.

So... he played both OT spots in college and is considered a 2nd round worthy selection, but Zierlein's comparison is Joel Bitonio, a multiple pro bowl Guard. Where did Joel play in college? LT.

Here's another: Dawand Jones

Massive right tackle with rare length but limited athleticism that impacts his consistency. Defenders accustomed to winning with power will need to switch up their approach against Jones. His physical traits help cover up some of his athletic deficiencies, while his power can be better unleashed with accurate hand strikes and a run scheme tailored to what he does best. The former high school basketball standout has decent slide quickness in protection but is unable to find his feet when attempting to match inside counters or stall out gaming fronts. Jones is a work in progress with holes that will have to be covered up with scheme help, but he should become a starting right tackle if he maintains the playing weight his team desires.

He's huge... but his only possible position seems to be RT, and even though Zierlein lists him as a second round type prospect, he seems to have his doubts that he'll be agile enough to play the position.

So... the posters who come on here and throw tantrums because all of our line selections have not worked out... well, they really don't understand the difficulty here.
It's a league wide issue right now. So many teams are looking for offensive linemen. I don't know if part of that stems from better talent and athletes choosing to play the defensive line.

It's why we see those offensive tackles go so quickly in every draft.

If Miami paints themselves in a corner at OL, Blake Freeland is probably the best OT that will be available. Lots to like, but he def has room to grow. Because he's such a good athlete and relatively young, he could develop sooner than expected.

I'd rather draft Kraft or LaPorta, because I'm more confident that they'll be good, and I like both of their ceilings, but if they don't have a signing waiting, they can't just go into 2023 with the OL as is.

But, to the original point, of the players projected to be available in that range, Kraft and LaPorta are comfortably the best imo.

I’m trying not to go down the mock draft simulator rabbit hole again this year……but there’s no scenario I take LaPorta over Sanders and Gibbs.

Back
Top Bottom