Nfl Combine Discussion Thread | Page 36 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Nfl Combine Discussion Thread

CK, Slimm, and I have mentioned him, but Hollins seems like the best Van Noy candidate.

He’s definitely interesting. I think you might see him get the Brian burns treatment as in drafted as a 34 wolb primary first.

But I get where you are coming from. That dude looks more fluid and athletic to me than van noy but not as stout at the poa

That said combine 249 probably played at plus 235 and carries that extra 10 lbs or so damn well.

I have a hard time buying he was a day 3 grade off this tape though going into the combine. Must be the poa play. Does a pretty good job on this tape of maintaining the outside shoulder vs tight ends.

Flattens to the qb too on the outside speed rush. Little bit of a shoulder dip. Relies a lot on the athlete as a pass rusher

Looks comfortable in space.

Last edited:
I don't know who said Justin Hollins had a day 3 grade but I'd disagree with it. I've never had a day 3 grade on him. Nearly every rep he's able to get his hips aligned to the pocket. Can bend and reduce the surface area OT's have to get their hands on. Smooth dropping into coverage and runs a 4.5 at 6'5" and nearly 250 pounds. Was MVP at the Shrine Game.

Off that tape I’d say top 50 at absolute worst top 75

I’ve seen first rounders that didn’t have that overall skill set

I think it’s a quality find by you guys. Have to assume with that added weight he’d give you a little more poa play too.

Last edited:
I don't know who said Justin Hollins had a day 3 grade but I'd disagree with it. I've never had a day 3 grade on him. Nearly every rep he's able to get his hips aligned to the pocket. Can bend and reduce the surface area OT's have to get their hands on. Smooth dropping into coverage and runs a 4.5 at 6'5" and nearly 250 pounds. Was MVP at the Shrine Game.

Just meant that before the Combine, most people didn't have him Top 100. Think we talked about him being underrated months ago.

I disagree Bob. The truly elite pass rushers are going to be gone by 13 - along with Devin White, Q. Williams, etc.

There's some great offensive line talent in this draft. Go watch the film of Garrett Bradbury kicking Christian Wilkins and Dexter Lawrence's asses. He was reach blocking Dexter to the ground and then getting on the linebacker Kendall Joseph so fast it was incredible. He was getting on Wilkins and hip turning him flat on his back. Hip checking and judo flipping his ***. This kid is an elite talent.

Go watch Erik McCoy against Quinnen Williams. He's the only center all season that could hold up to Q. The combine numbers only confirm what was already on film. These guys are going to be two of the best players that come out of this entire draft. You can't find better centers for zoning up front in any draft.

I think an elite pass rusher has a better chance of getting to 13 -- Sweat maybe? -- than one of those olinemen living up to that lofty draft status. I'd be more on board if those were trade back targets. Teams get desperate for QBs every year ... but if it falls a certain way and they have the conviction a combination of early round olinemen will finally shore up the interior ... so be it.

But I am biased. I always root for them to fill out the line via FA because of how inept they are at drafting those guys. Even 1st rounders ... which is such a double kick in the nuts imo. Unless you're in line for a Martin (so close) or Decastro then wait and see who you can use for depth and develop in the later rounds behind a proven guy in FA.

If you McCoy and Bradbury are both on board at #13 as expected and Oliver, Wilkins, etc are gone- I would try desperately to trade down est. 10 spots for an additional Rd2- Rd 3 pick.

If Miami thought Mike Pouncey was worth a top 15 pick - then they should view a couple of the centers in this draft as worthy of top 15 picks. There's two centers in this draft that are better prospects than Mike or Maurkice Pouncey were coming out, and they were both top 20 picks.

Center is just as valuable as left tackle, maybe moreso. This is the guy that's going to make the line calls and get everybody on the right page.

Bottom line is, Miami has to come out of this draft with a starting center and guard at minimum. They have absolutely nothing at these spots. The interior of Miami's offensive line has been an unmitigated disaster for far too long. To me, fixing the interior of the offensive line should be task #1 for a new regime.

If you're building a football team with a 2 or 3 year plan, the first thing you have to do is build the offensive line and secondary. Find a quarterback. Add pass rushers as the final piece. You don't just go out and do it in a random order. I guarantee these guys have a plan.

I think 2 of Miami's first 3 picks will be on the offensive line. Maybe they trade back from #13 and pick up extra draft picks - but the needs still don't change. Offensive line and secondary will be the focus of this draft for Miami in my opinion. That's how I'd do it.
This strategy is even more important given that we will be drafting a QB at top of 2020 draft. It just makes sense to build the OL and give said QB best opportunity to succeed and protect that investment.

Strategy should bedraft a high end Center & Guard to compliment Tunsil— see what we have in Davis— sign a veteran Guard next season to complete the OL.

An important aspect of the OL is continuity- it makes sense to draft 2 guys and carry them 5 years on rookie contracts.

If you McCoy and Bradbury are both on board at #13 as expected and Oliver, Wilkins, etc are gone- I would try desperately to trade down est. 10 spots for an additional Rd2- Rd 3 pick.

I’m trying to trade down to 25 range before I’m turning in tbe McCoy or lidstrom card

Bradbury may have the highest upside but he’s also imo the biggest risk with the anchor development. It’s one of those what do I have in 2 years anchor wise guys for me

There's only one gurad I'd take at 13 and that's John Hannah (HOF).........but if we trade back not once but twice we can get a good O-line guy in the 20's and add a 2nd and a 3rd in the process

I’m trying to trade down to 25 range before I’m turning in tbe McCoy or lidstrom card

Bradbury may have the highest upside but he’s also imo the biggest risk with the anchor development. It’s one of those what do I have in 2 years anchor wise guys for me

One thing about Bradbury, and I agree that he is/will be good, he's two years older than Lindstrom and McCoy.

Oh...well didn’t know that. So that ceiling may not be as high

I'd consider moving him to OG, where his athleticism might come more into play, depending on the scheme. He's not like a Bolles, at least, who is old and underweight. I was shocked that more people didn't catch that, and I tried to tell Norris that he was making a mistake by rating him so highly. Great athlete, but who gives a **** if your LT is a great athlete if he can't anchor/is unlikely to add the necessary bulk to do so?

Anyway, 3 Sigma has most of the ages of the players that are available. Think the number posted is the given age on Draft Day.

https://3sigmaathlete.com/sparq-rankings-2019/offensive-line/

I'd consider moving him to OG, where his athleticism might come more into play, depending on the scheme. He's not like a Bolles, at least, who is old and underweight. I was shocked that more people didn't catch that, and I tried to tell Norris that he was making a mistake by rating him so highly. Great athlete, but who gives a **** if your LT is a great athlete if he can't anchor/is unlikely to add the necessary bulk to do so?

Anyway, 3 Sigma has most of the ages of the players that are available. Think the number posted is the given age on Draft Day.

https://3sigmaathlete.com/sparq-rankings-2019/offensive-line/

Good point on bolles he’s a hell of an athlete and it shows on nfl tape but his anchor is his kryptonite.

I’d be a little concerned about Bradbury’s strength at guard. Not everyone can shift from pivot or tackle to guard and poa strength wise make it work. I’d at least ideally if I’m drafting someone top 20 who has pivot anchor questions which imo translates to functional strength period to have top shelf technique on a position change

Top 15 just doesn’t work for me with any of the interior options

Last edited:
Good point on bolles he’s a hell of an athlete and it shows on nfl tape but his anchor is his kryptonite.

I’d be a little concerned about Bradbury’s strength at guard. Not everyone can shift from pivot or tackle to guard and poa strength wise make it work. I’d at least ideally if I’m drafting someone top 20 who has pivot anchor questions which imo translates to functional strength period to have top shelf technique on a position change

Top 15 just doesn’t work for me with any of the interior options

I think Lindstrom is really clean at OG and has a very high ceiling - same for McCoy at Center. But, I think most would agree with you. I just think IOL is very underrated, and that's the primary reason you only see beasts like Nelson go early. I had Top 20 grades on Daniels and Hernandez in 2018.

I think Lindstrom is really clean at OG and has a very high ceiling - same for McCoy at Center. But, I think most would agree with you. I just think IOL is very underrated, and that's the primary reason you only see beasts like Nelson go early. I had Top 20 grades on Daniels and Hernandez in 2018.

Back
Top Bottom