NFL Draft: Defensive needs | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL Draft: Defensive needs

Silverphin

Chairman of the 'Owned! Awards' Commitee
Reaction score
After watching the 'Phins all year, it came to my attention (and everyone else's) that as much as we need a QB, a few defensive drafts would definitely worked. What positons would (or wouldn't) you draft, and why (not)?

Would Draft-

CB: I thought Reggie Howard was going to be a nice fill-in for the CB hole created by the trade of Patrick Surtain. Unfortunately, I was wrong. We need a very good, shutdown CB. However, with Will Poole and Shirdonya Mitchell recovering from ACL injuries, I'd wait for the second day.

DT (Preferably NT): A Tim Bowens/"Truck" Traylor type. Many have called for a future D-Line featuring Vickerson, Wright, and soon to be draftee Ngata. Why not?

Defensive End: We drafted Matt Roth. Not exactly an OE, but I have a feeling he'll be one hell of a D. Left End. Now all we need is DE that could play the OE and Outside linebacker position.

Maybes-

Safety: Maybe... Yeremiah Bell and Travares Tillman could be around for years and Lance could be around for a couple as well. Plus, two other DB's on the PS (that had been the only two people on the PS that hadn't been released off of it at all) Jack Hunt and Deandre Eiland could definitely help the position next year, along with Norman Lejeune (I'll take a look at him a lot more).

Would not...unless.....-

LB: Unless we could find an LB that could play great in the 3/4, I don't think we should draft a linebacker. When Seau and Thomas (God bless them) retire, I see a LB Corps headed up by Pope, Crowder, and Spragan.

Your input please! :lol:

I would not draft a corner in the first round

Madison, Pool, and daniels are enough to hold up

DT is a no, Id just sign Sam Adams in the offseason, then you have Traylor and Adams, a dominateing Duo

DE is steady with Roth and Taylor

QB- yes id draft a QB either Young, Cutler, or Omar Jacobs

As for saftey Id like to see us sign Adam Archuletta, if not id draft a SS

i'll take one from each category

jimmy williams will be there when we pick, but i'd take tye hill

I think we definitely NEED a good safety. I am not impressed with our safety play.

Otherwise, depends on who is available...

Alex22 said:
I would not draft a corner in the first round

Madison, Pool, and daniels are enough to hold up

DT is a no, Id just sign Sam Adams in the offseason, then you have Traylor and Adams, a dominateing Duo

DE is steady with Roth and Taylor

QB- yes id draft a QB either Young, Cutler, or Omar Jacobs

As for saftey Id like to see us sign Adam Archuletta, if not id draft a SS

Um you draft for the FUTURE and sign FA's for immediate need. We are not ok at CB. This might be Madison's last year and we need a replacement. This also might be traylor's last year and we need a replacement.

DE is not steady. Carter is here for 2 more years and JT might only have 2 more years left in him. You dont wait til they both retire to draft a replacement. Also, Roth is kinda small to be a DE in a 3-4 alignment dont you think? Truthfully, I have NO idea where he actually fits in.

QB- I wouldnt touch Vince Young. Safety we need to draft 2 young guys to bring in.

The Dline:
Ok..... im going to say it. I have been wondering this for a long time but I never really wanted to blurt it out because I thought the answer to my question would be obvious in time but I still dont see it and the season is almost over.

Matt Roth. Where is this kids future in this team? If we plan on running a 3-4 in the future, am I the only one who thinks Roth is too small to play DE in a 3-4?

Our lineup is OE-DT-NT-DE. JT-Holliday-Traylor-Carter. Whats the future of this line? I see Kevin Carter here for 2 more years playing DE.... thats pretty much how his contract works out. He will be cut after the 2007 season. Did we draft Roth that far in advance? Roth to me has the size to play the OE position but his coverage ability is questionable. I dont see Manny Wright as a NT, I see him as a DT even though he is Traylor's backup. Vonnie Holliday still has life in him and can play DT/DE for another year. We also have Vickerson coming off IR. Truthfully, I think we only need a NT on the Dline to replace Traylor.

We just signed Bowens to an extension so where does Roth fit in this mix? With the personnel we have now, I dont see Roth starting for at least 2 more years.

The linebackers:
If we continue to play our current defense with 3 LBs, I think we can get away with what we have. Spragan is decent, Crowder and Pope are solid and Zach's his usual self. If we go to a 4 LB set, we definately need to add another LB. I think its fair to say Seau played his last game here in Miami. We should take a LB later in the draft, 4th round up.

The secondary:

What once was our strong point on defense is now our weakness. Madison at his salary and age has MAYBE 1 more year here, Reggie Howard is gone, Daniels has room for improvement as a rookie and Poole is coming off IR. We need a starting CB, BAD, along with safeties. I wouldnt be suprised if we took a CB the first day of the draft if we couldnt sign someone in free agency. After looking through free agency, Clements is the only guy worth signing and he is probably going to want Champ Bailey money. I think Poole and Daniels are the 2nd and 3rd CB's on this team, as of right now I dont see them as the #1 guy. Draftwise, CB is a need but we do have young prospects. Safetywise, we need at least 1 S prospect. Heck, I wouldnt be suprised if we drafted 2.

As of now, I think we need a first day CB and NT on defense. We also have a lot of cap room, so its not out of the picture that we might make an offer to Clements so we can use our first day pick on a DT, OT, and QB. That would beefen up our secondary greatly.

Philter25 said:
The Dline:
Ok..... im going to say it. I have been wondering this for a long time but I never really wanted to blurt it out because I thought the answer to my question would be obvious in time but I still dont see it and the season is almost over.

Matt Roth. Where is this kids future in this team? If we plan on running a 3-4 in the future, am I the only one who thinks Roth is too small to play DE in a 3-4?

Our lineup is OE-DT-NT-DE. JT-Holliday-Traylor-Carter. Whats the future of this line? I see Kevin Carter here for 2 more years playing DE.... thats pretty much how his contract works out. He will be cut after the 2007 season. Did we draft Roth that far in advance? Roth to me has the size to play the OE position but his coverage ability is questionable. I dont see Manny Wright as a NT, I see him as a DT even though he is Traylor's backup. Vonnie Holliday still has life in him and can play DT/DE for another year. We also have Vickerson coming off IR. Truthfully, I think we only need a NT on the Dline to replace Traylor.

We just signed Bowens to an extension so where does Roth fit in this mix? With the personnel we have now, I dont see Roth starting for at least 2 more years.

The linebackers:
If we continue to play our current defense with 3 LBs, I think we can get away with what we have. Spragan is decent, Crowder and Pope are solid and Zach's his usual self. If we go to a 4 LB set, we definately need to add another LB. I think its fair to say Seau played his last game here in Miami. We should take a LB later in the draft, 4th round up.

The secondary:

What once was our strong point on defense is now our weakness. Madison at his salary and age has MAYBE 1 more year here, Reggie Howard is gone, Daniels has room for improvement as a rookie and Poole is coming off IR. We need a starting CB, BAD, along with safeties. I wouldnt be suprised if we took a CB the first day of the draft if we couldnt sign someone in free agency. After looking through free agency, Clements is the only guy worth signing and he is probably going to want Champ Bailey money. I think Poole and Daniels are the 2nd and 3rd CB's on this team, as of right now I dont see them as the #1 guy. Draftwise, CB is a need but we do have young prospects. Safetywise, we need at least 1 S prospect. Heck, I wouldnt be suprised if we drafted 2.

As of now, I think we need a first day CB and NT on defense. We also have a lot of cap room, so its not out of the picture that we might make an offer to Clements so we can use our first day pick on a DT, OT, and QB. That would beefen up our secondary greatly.

Matt Roth, I believe, plays DE or LB, depending on the looks on our defense. Remember, our defense is not a pure 3-4 or pure 4-3. It's a mix between the two. Doing this gives Saban flexibiltity in the draft. So that's Roth's future: DE/LB.

We're gonna need a safety this offseason. Though Tebucky Jones is signed through next year he is due a $3.3M roster bonus to go on top of his $3M base, so he's gone along with Lance Schulters. I'd much rather keep Lance out of the two & put him at SS. I've been satisfied with the play of Tillman & Bell as back ups but we still need that difference maker at FS.

I think the Dolphins will need a LB in this draft but we can wait until the middle rounds to do it. The guy I'd like to see the Dolphins target is Nick Reid, the OLB from Kansas. Ideal size and a tackling machine. Big 12 defensive player of the year. Just like Zach Thomas, he'll be undervalued in the draft but whichever team takes him is getting a starter for the next 10 years.

DolfanDaveInATX said:
I think the Dolphins will need a LB in this draft but we can wait until the middle rounds to do it. The guy I'd like to see the Dolphins target is Nick Reid, the OLB from Kansas. Ideal size and a tackling machine. Big 12 defensive player of the year. Just like Zach Thomas, he'll be undervalued in the draft but whichever team takes him is getting a starter for the next 10 years.

Just what we need, another undersized LB that shut's up all the critcs. I like that!:dolphins:

Back
Top Bottom