NFL exec: Tua Tagovailoa won't hold up behind Dolphins offensive line | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL exec: Tua Tagovailoa won't hold up behind Dolphins offensive line

You mean when a DLineman got through the protection and slammed Tua's head on the turf, it was not a protection breakdown? Good luck with that line of thought.
Honestly if you watch that play again he had plenty of time. He chose to not throw the ball away a couple times then got smoked. Our line definitely needs to be better but Tua needs to be smarter too. We also need to run the ball more and run it more effectively

OL is not “questionable” it’s unacceptable! If it fails It would undo all the other successes he’s had at the other position groups. So it’s hard to praise him when he whiffed on the second most important position group in football.
An argument could be made Grier is incompetent in building a dominant OL but, he’s not been negligent. The effort exits; the reward, not so much—yet.

Agree OL is 2nd most important group and not yet set, and yes, failure to solve can have meaningful (but not catastrophic) impact.

In addition to OL help, I think TE’s Saubert and Kroft signings will go a long way towards improving overall blocking.

With 7 of 8 positions acceptable, though, Miami’s roster is one of the best in the league; so as much as Grier has so far missed on OL, he’s more than compensated overall.

Last edited:
It’s almost June. The chance to upgrade was in march through April. We chose to pass and now have a below average unit with 3 injury prone players. Our backups are Feeney, lamm, Roberts, and a rookie 7th rounder!!! That’s a sound business plan to protect a somewhat injury prone qb? No it isn’t and that’s why people are rightfully concerned, and that’s why people are questioning Grier.

This “plan” to protect Tua backfires as many are predicting and someone’s getting fired. Can you honestly say it wouldn’t be over due and justified?
What about that guy Cotton McKnight who started in our playoff game? Don’t we have him too?

IMO the time to address the OL has not presented itself this offseason. The early OL signings were insanely high and most were poor fits. I don't believe that any of those would have been good strategies. The draft would not have been the right approach to try and provide immediate impact. Fleming was the first one that would have been a good signing. He may or may not be an option depending on his relationship with our OL coach. All along I've believed that outside of Fleming, the most appropriate time to address the OL would be when the post June 1st cuts occur or maybe later this offseason.

The Wynn signing isn't a slam dunk or anything but it's the kind of signing that is a good gamble. I don't know if Fleming will sign eventually or not but there will be opportunities later in the offseason. And those opportunities will be better than any that have arisen thus far this offseason. I have had issues with some OL decisions in the past offseasons, but not this offseason. I know that many just want to improve the OL at all cost and bring in a "name" without regard to actual impact, but that wouldn't have been the best way to approach improving this team or it's chances of success this offseason.

Was it really awesome though? Not a lot of solid pros right now from those olines.
All because they are not great pros does not mean it was not a great college line. The time and pocket that Tua had in his time at Alabama made it more of a game to pitch and run than football.

All because they are not great pros does not mean it was not a great college line. The time and pocket that Tua had in his time at Alabama made it more of a game to pitch and run than football.
I seriously doubt you ever watched them as they were definitely not a great line. Tua hid their deficiencies, so did play calling and lack of oppositional talent. They were exposed against anyone with above average pass rush. This is more of you reaching because you’re anti Tua.

The funniest thing about this article is it forgets to mention tua is one of the least sacked qbs because of his quick release and elite anticipation skills.

Honestly if you watch that play again he had plenty of time. He chose to not throw the ball away a couple times then got smoked. Our line definitely needs to be better but Tua needs to be smarter too. We also need to run the ball more and run it more effectively

Agree 100%. On the play against the Bengals, it looked like the Bengals player was tucking him into bed. He even put his arm behind Tua, breaking the fall somewhat. Of course sometimes the worst hits are the ones that don't look as bad (similar to some NASCAR crashes). I'm not saying Tua is soft but a lot of the hits that have put him out do not appear to be these crushing blows. I've been very vocal I never wanted Tua from the beginning because of his inability to stay on the field. He has done nothing to alleviate that concern. Some teams get used to this type of stuff--I'm near Pittsburgh and Steelers fans seemingly had no issues with Roethlisberger missing loads of time. In Miami, Marino was plagued by knee problems his entire career (starting at Pitt). Of course, he was an iron man until the Achilles injury.

I think Tua is a good guy and will not be one of those clowns that does something stupid off the field to embarrass himself or the organization. That goes a long way with me. But I'm not convinced he's somebody we should be investing in because of his lack of availability. Offensive line play has been a concern in Miami for over a decade, but most of Tua's injury issues have been because of Tua and nobody else. I loved James Chadwick Pennington his entire career, but when they brought him to Miami in 2008, I immediately said we needed to secure a quality backup because of his injury history. He made it through that whole season before getting shutdown in the following season.

Last edited:
I seriously doubt you ever watched them as they were definitely not a great line. Tua hid their deficiencies, so did play calling and lack of oppositional talent. They were exposed against anyone with above average pass rush. This is more of you reaching because you’re anti Tua..

YEAR RD NAME/POS/TEAM
2017 2 Cam Robinson T Jacksonville Jaguars
2018 6 Bradley Bozeman C Baltimore Ravens
2019 1 Jonah Williams G Cincinnati Bengals
2019 5 Ross Pierschbacher G Washington Redskins
2020 1 Jedrick Wills OT Cleveland Browns
2021 6 Deonte Brown G Carolina Panthers
2021 2 Landon Dickerson C Philadelphia Eagles
2021 1 Alex Leatherwood OT Las Vegas Raiders
2022 1 Evan Neal OT New York Giants

These are linemen that were on the team during his time at Alabama.
4 of them became #1 picks
2 of them became #2 picks

A total of 9 of them were drafted into the NFL during and/or immediately after Tua was drafted, thus these were the guys.

Whether they became good pros isn't relevant to this discussion, that they were drafted is....

YEAR RD NAME/POS/TEAM
2017 2 Cam Robinson T Jacksonville Jaguars
2018 6 Bradley Bozeman C Baltimore Ravens
2019 1 Jonah Williams G Cincinnati Bengals
2019 5 Ross Pierschbacher G Washington Redskins
2020 1 Jedrick Wills OT Cleveland Browns
2021 6 Deonte Brown G Carolina Panthers
2021 2 Landon Dickerson C Philadelphia Eagles
2021 1 Alex Leatherwood OT Las Vegas Raiders
2022 1 Evan Neal OT New York Giants

These are linemen that were on the team during his time at Alabama.
4 of them became #1 picks
2 of them became #2 picks

A total of 9 of them were drafted into the NFL during and/or immediately after Tua was drafted, thus these were the guys.

Whether they became good pros isn't relevant to this discussion, that they were drafted is....

Lol that’s full of it and you should know it. It doesn’t matter where you’re drafted because Players from successful programs get over drafted all the time. It’s ironic that you showed your work and ended up proving my point. Who on that list would you consider a good player right now? That would be a good indicator of being over drafted and overrated in college. In short, that line wasn’t as near as dominate as your pretending. The tape doesn’t lie and there are plenty of those games on YouTube.

The only injury I’ve seen that was the OL’s fault , dating back to college, was the rib injury against the Jill’s. I’m kind of sick of all this anyway. I want a QB that doesn’t require a HOF offensive line and a helmet designed by NASA.

Is your response any different than the Grier whiners? Both are deflecting and moving away for the topic.

I’ll ask again, is the current construction if the oline acceptable? Remember we have 3 guys who have missed significant time and virtually no depth. Should or shouldn’t Grier merit some criticism for the current state of one of the most important position groups in football?

Also you are correct that the oline wasn’t directly responsible for Tua getting injured. However that has not always been the case and we currently have 2 Jesse Davis quality players in the oline right now.
My response doesn't matter and neither does yours because we're not in training camp with a finalized roster.

Do you understand that? Do you get some sort of added satisfaction to complain before it's even done?

Back
Top Bottom