NFL Film Breakdown: DeVante Parker is the Real Deal in Miami | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL Film Breakdown: DeVante Parker is the Real Deal in Miami

I hope the man can stay healthy and we get to see him with a more accurate passer. The jump ball catches we saw from Parker and Williams were spectacular but too many were also unnecessary.

Fitz would be a really good QB if the ball always went where he intended to put it.

I hope the man can stay healthy and we get to see him with a more accurate passer. The jump ball catches we saw from Parker and Williams were spectacular but too many were also unnecessary.

Fitz would be a really good QB if the ball always went where he intended to put it.

I think that applies to all QBs :cheers:

Parker finally played up to the expectations we all hoped he would play at when he as drafted. Now it is up to him to prove that he can continue to play at the level he did last year and not relapse to the player he was the first four years in Miami.

I'm not sure I agree at all. The whole point of big bodied receivers is that you throw the ball up for grabs and count on their ability to outman he defenders for the ball. Parker isn't the best receiver in the NFL, but when he is on, which admittedly hasn't happened sporadically before last season, there may not be a better jump ball catcher in the league. Fitzpatrick was doing with the ball exactly what he wanted to in these situations. We aren't running the west coast offense where we are asking Jerry Rice to take a slant route to the house. Davante isn't that and wasn't drafted to be that, nor was our QB throwing that way. Davante's skill isn't necessarily getting open in the traditional sense, it's in his physical ability making him "open" even when he is covered.

Tua is a more naturally accurate passer than Fitz but I could see Parker's numbers going down with him. The reason why is an accurate QB isn't necessarily the best jump ball thrower. The two are a completely different skill.

I'm not sure I agree at all. The whole point of big bodied receivers is that you throw the ball up for grabs and count on their ability to outman he defenders for the ball. Parker isn't the best receiver in the NFL, but when he is on, which admittedly hasn't happened sporadically before last season, there may not be a better jump ball catcher in the league. Fitzpatrick was doing with the ball exactly what he wanted to in these situations. We aren't running the west coast offense where we are asking Jerry Rice to take a slant route to the house. Davante isn't that and wasn't drafted to be that, nor was our QB throwing that way. Davante's skill isn't necessarily getting open in the traditional sense, it's in his physical ability making him "open" even when he is covered.

Tua is a more naturally accurate passer than Fitz but I could see Parker's numbers going down with him. The reason why is an accurate QB isn't necessarily the best jump ball thrower. The two are a completely different skill.
I think what he meant was some of those jump balls that Devonte caught by leaping over a defender or two were thrown when he was wide open but the pass was short or off target so he had to make a spectacular play. Now there were also times that Devonte was covered and the 50/50 balls worked out to our advantage. Ultimately you want the best of both worlds... a QB who can and will hit the WR in stride and also be able to throw it up to someone like Devante in single coverage even when he isnt open.

He finally became what I thought he would predraft..it seems the maturity issues slowed him down and kept him from fufilling his potential.

I’m hoping the beef with Michael Thonas will motivate him this offseason, my hope is he has taken his workouts seriously this offseason, those who haven’t won’t improve much if at all and more than Likely regress

He seemed to play with an attitude last year, hope he keeps it up.

Parker can create separation and run a route. Williams has some of the quickest feet I've ever seen on a man his size. Maybe they're not burners but I expect to see quite a few quick slants thrown their way and both have shown the ability to put that physicality to use after the catch.

I love Fitzpatrick and his gunslinger mentality. I might hate it if the team was actually good but in its current state having someone willing to throw it up for grabs is a good thing. And you're right in that Parker is really good at coming down with a jump ball and in some cases that is what's called for. Unfortunately with Fitzpatrick there are far too many times where he flat out misses and misses badly, making a catch far more difficult that it needs to be. I want to see Parker and Williams play with someone that consistently hits them in stride, even if that means the highlight reel is less spectacular.

And no I don't think there is any skill associated with putting a bunch of air under the ball and throwing it up for grabs. A perfectly placed back shoulder throw is something else entirely.

Back
Top Bottom