NFL Film Breakdown: DeVante Parker is the Real Deal in Miami | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL Film Breakdown: DeVante Parker is the Real Deal in Miami

And no I don't think there is any skill associated with putting a bunch of air under the ball and throwing it up for grabs. A perfectly placed back shoulder throw is something else entirely.

Sure. Throwing a good jump ball is easy. That's why ever QB in the league does it with success repeatedly.

I think what he meant was some of those jump balls that Devonte caught by leaping over a defender or two were thrown when he was wide open but the pass was short or off target so he had to make a spectacular play. Now there were also times that Devonte was covered and the 50/50 balls worked out to our advantage. Ultimately you want the best of both worlds... a QB who can and will hit the WR in stride and also be able to throw it up to someone like Devante in single coverage even when he isnt open.

Bear in mind that perfect QB has to play behind Miami's line. Maybe I'm not that critical of whether Fitz was pinpoint accurate when nearly any QB in the league wouldn't have been able to get the ball off at all regularly with our train wreck of a line, much less make big plays consistently.

Tannehill has shown he can be pinpoint accurate downfield. That's what he did with the Titans last year, and he showed that under Gase as well. With below average lines, how often did that matter? He rarely found a way to get the ball out with the way our team played - and I'm not disparaging him because of that as much as I'm trying to promote what Fitz did.

Giddyup!

BTW, the background song is more like, "Top Ten things to do in Tenochtitlan."

Sure. Throwing a good jump ball is easy. That's why ever QB in the league does it with success repeatedly.

Nobody does it with success because it is inherently a low percentage play. There's a reason the even mildly analytically minded fans groans every time a coach of their favorite team calls for a fade near the endzone. There aren't too many intelligent offensive minds that are going to design a play where the intention is for the QB to throw the ball up for grabs.

I do not regard it as a skill or think the Fitzpatrick is somehow better at it than his peers. He does possess a certain flair for the dramatic that makes him endearing to fans and teammates alike. Fitz will toss it up there when Brady chucks it in the dirt.

Nobody does it with success because it is inherently a low percentage play. There's a reason the even mildly analytically minded fans groans every time a coach of their favorite team calls for a fade near the endzone. There aren't too many intelligent offensive minds that are going to design a play where the intention is for the QB to throw the ball up for grabs.

I do not regard it as a skill or think the Fitzpatrick is somehow better at it than his peers. He does possess a certain flair for the dramatic that makes him endearing to fans and teammates alike. Fitz will toss it up there when Brady chucks it in the dirt.

I hate the fade as well. Too bad the fade and a jump ball downfield are not the same thing.

Bear in mind that perfect QB has to play behind Miami's line. Maybe I'm not that critical of whether Fitz was pinpoint accurate when nearly any QB in the league wouldn't have been able to get the ball off at all regularly with our train wreck of a line, much less make big plays consistently.

Tannehill has shown he can be pinpoint accurate downfield. That's what he did with the Titans last year, and he showed that under Gase as well. With below average lines, how often did that matter? He rarely found a way to get the ball out with the way our team played - and I'm not disparaging him because of that as much as I'm trying to promote what Fitz did.
Fair enough, but Fitz has never been a very accurate QB consistently. He has a career completion percentage of 61% and a 1.3/1 TD/Int ratio. There is a reason why he's a journeyman QB in this league. I do believe however that he was a God stop gap for us last year. I said a few times and still believe that Tannehill probably wouldnt have won us a game last year if he were our QB, but Fitz wouldnt have taken the Titans to the AFC champ game either.

I said a few times and still believe that Tannehill probably wouldnt have won us a game last year if he were our QB, but Fitz wouldnt have taken the Titans to the AFC champ game either.

I agree with you there. Fitz is a career choke artist who has always bowed out when his teams had a chance for real success. Tannehill struggles far more under adverse conditions but in the right situation his arm is elite.

year two of fitz is usually bad

He has been off the field some due to injury but it's really exaggerated a bit by fans. He was drafted in 2015 and missed a total of 8 pre season games and 11 regular season games. Aside from injury, the biggest reason for Parker's "slow" development has been mental. When he wants it he's a top tier WR otherwise due to a combination of injury and lack of motivation, he would just not show up in games. Also his production during the first four years was overlooked by fans but not the Dolphins. They saw he earned decent numbers despite injury and I think they made the right decision to resign him.

I get what your saying. Tannehill just wasn’t a jump ball thrower period. Not that he couldn’t or can’t do it, we really don’t know that because he simply doesn’t do it. He plays by the book, if a guy isn’t open he doesn’t go up that guy. Very efficient QB when guys are getting open.

I hope the man can stay healthy and we get to see him with a more accurate passer. The jump ball catches we saw from Parker and Williams were spectacular but too many were also unnecessary.

Fitz would be a really good QB if the ball always went where he intended to put it.

idk, I liked the fact the QB gave the WR a chance to make a play, we spent the last seven years at QB standing there waiting for the WR to get open, that did not work out well.

I think it was coaching that finally got production out of Parker. I would certainly give Flo some credit there. He knows how to develop talent. I loved watching him do his thing in a big way. There was a similar jump with Gisecki. He was pulling balls out of the sky all year. Huge comeback years for both players. Why couldn't Gase get the best out of his players? We finally have a legit, tough and smart Head Coach. I love this coach. He brought class and an attitude back to Miami!

I think it was coaching that finally got production out of Parker. I would certainly give Flo some credit there. He knows how to develop talent. I loved watching him do his thing in a big way. There was a similar jump with Gisecki. He was pulling balls out of the sky all year. Huge comeback years for both players. Why couldn't Gase get the best out of his players? We finally have a legit, tough and smart Head Coach. I love this coach. He brought class and an attitude back to Miami!

Great post. I think the easy answer is that Adam Gase's ego might've gotten in his way. He had a lot of success in a short period of time and became a hot commodity in due part to exposure Peyton Manning brought him. The first year success in Miami proved to be a detriment when he couldn't weather the adversity after RT's injury. In his defense just a bit, he was unlucky with that injury and yet another mistake made by our medical staff as it pertained to the starting QB position. There was never going to be any rebounding from that situation though and his ****y self absorbed attitude made him no allies.

Flores came in, took a look around and decided to take the remaining wheels off himself. He had the right kind of ego.

We have a long way to go yet but I wouldn't trade our coach for any other on the planet.

Back
Top Bottom