NFL Film Breakdown: DeVante Parker is the Real Deal in Miami | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL Film Breakdown: DeVante Parker is the Real Deal in Miami

I get what your saying. Tannehill just wasn’t a jump ball thrower period. Not that he couldn’t or can’t do it, we really don’t know that because he simply doesn’t do it. He plays by the book, if a guy isn’t open he doesn’t go up that guy. Very efficient QB when guys are getting open.

Tannehill had some times when he and Parker were in sync - 2016 against NE, when they resorted to outright tackling Parker and taking the PI, rather than getting an ever bigger play, comes to mind. But yeah, most of the time it wasn't in his arsenal. But, other than Parker, whose ability to outplay the defender for the ball disappeared with his confidence, who did we really have to catch a jump ball while he was here? We mostly had speed/finesse guys or just the odd RB as a WR in Landry.

Tennehill had no problem throwing to covered guys in Tennessee. He threw some guys open downfield that were some of the best throws I've ever seen. He's certainly not a gunslinger though - he takes calculated, not reckless, risks.

Great post. I think the easy answer is that Adam Gase's ego might've gotten in his way. He had a lot of success in a short period of time and became a hot commodity in due part to exposure Peyton Manning brought him. The first year success in Miami proved to be a detriment when he couldn't weather the adversity after RT's injury. In his defense just a bit, he was unlucky with that injury and yet another mistake made by our medical staff as it pertained to the starting QB position. There was never going to be any rebounding from that situation though and his ****y self absorbed attitude made him no allies.

Flores came in, took a look around and decided to take the remaining wheels off himself. He had the right kind of ego.

We have a long way to go yet but I wouldn't trade our coach for any other on the planet.

Gase was unlucky with the QB thing in 2017, but how many teams in the league had the benefit of having a guy ready to take over who had both won playoff clinching games with his arm the year before and had been a leader on the team for 6 or 7 seasons? Losing a starting QB in camp is tough, no doubt about it, but Gase mishandled that situation by overlooking an effective backup and bringing in a mediocre guy who was divisive, lacked leadership, and had a worse career record than the guy whose starting job he took without taking a snap in camp. Gase was right to bring in help at QB, wrong to bring in anyone off the street as uncontested starter, outside of someone like Peyton Manning. Not Jay Cutler.

I wonder what happens if Williams outshines him again early this year ... that will be the real benchmark for Parker.

Does he sulk, or does accept that he will essentially split target shares with him and drive on ... similar to Godwin and Evans ... though not the same situation.

NFL.com Says he will be this years MVP too.

The Dolphins have so many new pieces this season that it's almost impossible to project a favorite for team MVP. So I'll take the more conservative route, and get behind one of the bright spots of 2019. Parker broke out as your classic late bloomer, dropping a 72-1,202-9 line on 128 targets after four years of "first-round bust" talk. No one thinks that anymore, and the Dolphins reaffirmed their faith with a four-year extension last December. Whether it's Ryan Fitzpatrick or Tua Tagovailoa delivering passes, Parker is going to eat this season.

Tannehill had some times when he and Parker were in sync - 2016 against NE, when they resorted to outright tackling Parker and taking the PI, rather than getting an ever bigger play, comes to mind. But yeah, most of the time it wasn't in his arsenal. But, other than Parker, whose ability to outplay the defender for the ball disappeared with his confidence, who did we really have to catch a jump ball while he was here? We mostly had speed/finesse guys or just the odd RB as a WR in Landry.

Tennehill had no problem throwing to covered guys in Tennessee. He threw some guys open downfield that were some of the best throws I've ever seen. He's certainly not a gunslinger though - he takes calculated, not reckless, risks.
Tannehill has innate accuracy traits, give him time he will make Great throws,..problems occur if he doesn’t.

Parker has a chip on his shoulder now I guess, commenting on a post from gilmore back from 2018 lol. I dont have IG so dont know how recent Parkers comment is.

So many fans were pissed they gave Parker a new contract, I guess the football pro's do know more than most fans, it was an amazing year and I hope it continues for him.

Yeah, I guess I am still one foot on the 'prove it' bus, but how awesome is it that we can even dream about & consider that this kind of statement might be true.... "

We finally have a legit, tough and smart Head Coach. I love this coach. He brought class and an attitude back to Miami!

Parker is big time, he’s always flashed it too. Injuries, immaturity and a lack of confidence is what led to a lot of his struggles. He seems to have left 2 of those 3 issues in the dust. Injuries can happen to any player at any time but Parker has really stepped up his training to strengthen his body. He may never quite replicate the numbers he had last year but there is no reason he can’t be a 1000 yard receiver for the foreseeable future

It will all come down to health and usage. If Parker plays 14 to 16 healthy games per season and is targeted like a number 1 wr he will put up impressive numbers. However, if Miami splits targets pretty evenly between Parker, Wilson, Williams and Gesicki than the number might not look as good. He'll still make a handful of wow plays here and there, just as he has in prior seasons, but the overall numbers and impact leave some fans disappointed. When it comes to wrs some players have to be fed like the big dog if you want them take that role. If defenses over focus on Parker you're going to see some fans saying Parker was a one year wonder, while the truth is the attention he's getting will open opportunities for Williams, Wilson, Grant and Gesicki.

Back
Top Bottom