NFL Formula: From #2 to #5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL Formula: From #2 to #5

Ghetti13

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
According to the formula NFL teams use, the drop from 2 to 5 warrants compensation of the Bucs 2nd and 3rd this year. Now, unless Saban really thinks these players are no better than those at 5, which I cannot answer, that will be the asking price. 36th and 71st in 2005.

I don't think theres a single soul on this site who isn't hoping for this to happen.
It opens up so many possibilitys and really is a great deal for us.

Now that's one trade down option I like :)

It's pretty important that we're able to trade down, in my opinion.

This is year #1 of the rebuilding cycle, we've got an aging D and a few gaping holes on offense that need to be filled. Saban has an intimate knowledge of a good number of these kids coming out, and will only hold that advantage for another year or so before it starts fading.

If we come out of Day #1 as we sit today, with only two picks, I'll be highly disappointed. We need youth everywhere. Not just youth, but "Saban players" with brand new systems on either side of the ball.

Whether we're able to or not will determine how quickly this team will seriously contend.

As much as I'd love this one, I still don't see it happening. I just can't imagine the Bucs are that desperate to move up. Gruden said something somewhere that he is excited to finally have a full compliment of picks. I don't know he would really want to give some up just for one player.

This is getting repetitive, I've posted this about 5 times already. :rolleyes:

Since it's not a real top heavy draft, it's probably going to be difficult in my opinion to get full chart value. That being said, the Bucs will not piss away their draft to get Smith...I don't think. If they trade their 2nd and early third it leaves them with only 2 first day picks, with the later of them being one of the last picks in the third. I don't see Gruden going for this even though they have a bunch of day 2 picks. I would try to ease the pain by allowing TB to keep that 2nd this year and give us both their thirds (#71 and #91). I would then attack next year and try to either get a first (not likely) or a second rounder. I think that's pretty fair for both sides and nobody comes out losing. They get to keep their high day one picks and get their guy. We get 2 extra 3rd rounders this year and move down to five and probably get who we wanted to begin with plus an extra 2nd rounder next year. We would come out with 5 first day picks (I'm including the second rounder from Surtain). Not bad...

"Probably"...."I think".....We don't know what Gruden thinks. If he really likes the two quarterbacks then it is a top heavy draft in his mind. So, Miami should be able to get value. Personally, I hope Saban sticks to his guns because if they really like Smith, they will give up value.

Ghetti13 said:
We don't know what Gruden thinks. If he really likes the two quarterbacks then it is a top heavy draft in his mind. So, Miami should be able to get value. Personally, I hope Saban sticks to his guns because if they really like Smith, they will give up value.

Right on Ghetti.

This is year #1 of the rebuilding cycle, we've got an aging D and a few gaping holes on offense that need to be filled. Saban has an intimate knowledge of a good number of these kids coming out, and will only hold that advantage for another year or so before it starts fading.

He will hold that advantage for 4 or 5 years because of his recruiting activities. It will diminish somewhat, but he knows chapter and verse about 60-70% of the SEC players out there and that will still be true until the last class he recruited for, graduates.

AirChambers84 said:
I don't think theres a single soul on this site who isn't hoping for this to happen.
It opens up so many possibilitys and really is a great deal for us.

If we can get Smith at 5 then I'm all for it if not, I dont like losing out on a franchise QB for a 2nd round player.

Shamboubou said:
If we can get Smith at 5 then I'm all for it if not, I dont like losing out on a franchise QB for a 2nd round player.

I like second round players;

Roman Phifer
Brett Favre
Ricky Watters
Jimmy Smith
Darren Woodson
Levon Kirkland
Michael Strahan
Mike Barrow
John Parrella
Isaac Bruce
Kevin Mawae
Larry Allen
Jason Sehorn
Vaughn Parker
Tim Ruddy
Zach Wiegert
Frank Sanders
Barret Robbins
Ken Dilger
Todd Sauerbrun
Kordell Stewart

That's jsut a few, don't get me started.

If you have a shot at a Franchise QB you go for it, if you are sold on a player you go for it. No coach or gm thinks that they are going to be picking top 5 next year in the draft. Gruden loves QB's, and drafting a QB would also help his job security for the next several years as well. If you Need a player, or really want that player, you do anything for that player. A bad example would be Vernon Carey, a good example would be Eli Manning.

Back
Top Bottom