NFL head coaches and executives rank QB’s | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL head coaches and executives rank QB’s

Thought this was cool since it’s actual NFL coaches and executives doing it and not just a random twitter guy or writer.

The results reflect voting from 50 NFL coaches and executives, including six general managers, eight head coaches, 10 evaluators, 12 coordinators, six quarterback coaches and seven execs whose specialties include analytics, game management and the salary cap. The remaining ballot was put together by four members of one team’s personnel department.

The panel placed 35 veteran quarterbacks into one of five tiers, from best (Tier 1) to worst (Tier 5). Quarterbacks were then ranked by average vote and placed into tiers based on vote distribution, beginning with Aaron Rodgers, whose 1.00 average vote reflected his status as a unanimous Tier 1 selection.

The survey excludes rookies because voters have not seen them play in the NFL. More than one quarterback is featured for teams with unsettled starting jobs.

https://theathletic.com/3443022/2022/07/25/nfl-best-quarterbacks-tiers?source=user-shared-article

TIER 1

A Tier 1 quarterback can carry his team each week. The team wins because of him. He expertly handles pure passing situations. He has no real holes in his game.

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Patrick Mahomes
3. Tom Brady
4. Josh Allen
5. Justin Herbert
6. Joe Burrow

TIER 2

A Tier 2 quarterback can carry his team sometimes but not as consistently. He can handle pure passing situations in doses and/or possesses other dimensions that are special enough to elevate him above Tier 3. He has a hole or two in his game.

7. Matt Stafford
8. Russell Wilson
9. Deshaun Watson
10. Lamar Jackson
11. Dak Prescott
12. Derek Carr
13. Kyler Murray
14. Matt Ryan

TIER 3

A Tier 3 quarterback is a legitimate starter but needs a heavier running game and/or defensive component to win. A lower-volume dropback passing offense suits him best.

15. Kirk Cousins
16. Jimmy Garoppolo
17. Ryan Tannehill
18. Mac Jones
19. Baker Mayfield
20 (T). Jalen Hurts
20 (T). Carson Wentz
22. Jared Goff
23. Trevor Lawrence
24. Jameis Winston

TIER 4

A Tier 4 quarterback could be an unproven player (not enough information for voters to classify) or a veteran who ideally would not start all 17 games.

25. Justin Fields
26. Tua Tagovailoa
27. David Mills
28. Zach Wilson
29. Trey Lance
30. Daniel Jones
31. Marcus Mariota
32. Sam Darnold
33. Mitch Trubisky
34. Drew Lock
35. Geno Smith

Hmm, I wonder how NFL Execs and coaches ranked Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Curt Warner...Heck, even your man Josh Allen, until they were put in the right situation with the right talent.

Sorry if this feels like an attack on you, considering your just putting up something written by someone else, on the opinions of others, but my point is, what NFL Execs and Coaches believe means very little...Unless one of them is psychic.

Hmm, I wonder how NFL Execs and coaches ranked Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Curt Warner...Heck, even your man Josh Allen, until they were put in the right situation with the right talent.

Sorry if this feels like an attack on you, considering your just putting up something written by someone else, on the opinions of others, but my point is, what NFL Execs and Coaches believe means very little...Unless one of them is psychic.

Your point is well taken.

Even the pro’s can be wrong.

Only one way to change the narrative. Time to shine this year and then we'll all enjoy these lists a lot more next off-season.

Roethlisberger and Rivers made tier 1 in 2019
Goff - Mayfield Tier 2
LJax and Josh Allen Tier 4

So it's like they looked at previous season production instead of overall body of work

This list is ridiculous. For tier 1, Herbert, based on criteria can't be in that group he has a losing record as a qb. Can't say he can carry a team and team wins because of him and he has a losing record.
Herbert is only the 2nd QB in the last two decades to carry a bottom 3 defense to a winning record. So yes, he can.

I disagree with 2 points in their evaluation of Tua. First, his ability to avoid pressure is top-level, he has saved himself from injury hundreds of times. Also, they question his ability to fight through struggles when he bounces back from adversity better than most young QBs I’ve ever seen.

The biggest issue with this discussion is that people are basically saying "Well if they traded places I think Tua would be better"

That's fine to have as an opinion, but that's not something empirical that can be brought into the debate.

What you’re really saying is that the professionals in the NFL are a joke.

Because these are from head coaches, offensive coordinators, general managers, etc.
No they are a joke because Simms has said Allen is the best QB and you already informed us that he is the guru of all guru's at QB. So if these professionals can't even get #1 right who cares about the rest.

You know were you should have posted this. The Bills board.

Back
Top Bottom