NFL head coaches and executives rank QB’s | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL head coaches and executives rank QB’s

Justin Herbert must be absolutely amazing in the games I don't watch because I haven't been "Tier 1" impressed so far.
IDK, I've watched the guy too. I guess it makes us Dolphin fans feel better to try and downgrade this guy. He's pretty freakin good. He's going to win a lot of games. That whole won/loss record thing is pretty short sighted. We just have to admit he's really good and move on. We are all sports addicts. First step in recovery is to admit the truth.

IDK, I've watched the guy too. I guess it makes us Dolphin fans feel better to try and downgrade this guy. He's pretty freakin good. He's going to win a lot of games. That whole won/loss record thing is pretty short sighted. We just have to admit he's really good and move on. We are all sports addicts. First step in recovery is to admit the truth.
Yeah, not once did I say he wasn't good. I just haven't seen anything to put him in the same category as Josh Allen, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers or Patrick Mahomes. I'll stand by that 100%

Trevor Lawrence still being ranked on his hype. If the criteria was based performance at NFL level then he's below nearly everybody on that
Yeah, not once did I say he wasn't good. I just haven't seen anything to put him in the same category as Josh Allen, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers or Patrick Mahomes. I'll stand by that 100%
I guess it depends how many QBs you're putting in the tier 1 category. So, you named the top 4 QBs. If Herbert is 5th, that's pretty damn good. He'll be at least 3 when Rodgers and TB retire in the next year or two. Let's be real, TB is the goat, but every single GM in the NFL would take Herbert over him. Prob Rodgers too.

Maybe not empirical, but common sense. Move Lawrence to KC and Mahommes to Jax in '21 and convince me the rankings wouldn't have changed at all.

I don't think that is common sense. I don't believe Tua would perform how Herbert has and I don't believe Herbert would be as bad as Tua has been.

Yes, Tua might be better than he is now and Herbert might be worse, but I don't think it's it's drastically enough that the perception of who is the better QB would change.

Hell, I thought it was common sense after watching their college tape that Herbert was the far better prospect, but others would disagree.

Not here to complain about Tua's rank. If that doesn't go up significantly this year, we probably don't have our guy. That said, I will NEVER understand the Mac Jones love even if people try to explain it away as "Patriot stuff". He may develop nicely, but the concept of him in a pro bowl and way ahead of what I consider to be better QB's on lists like this just baffles me. I'll never in my life forget the game last yr vs. the Bills where he threw like twice because they knew he couldn't get it done. Also the 2 times Tua beat him fair and square. I will forever root against that kid, even though he's probably a swell guy.

Ceilings and tools are big parts of rankings. All Tua has really proven is the same thing Bridgewater has. However, if you notice, Bridgewater isn't even on that list. Being accurate with average-below average everything isn't something teams want.

It comes back to a problem I've repeated many times.

Accuracy is important, but in a league where every QB worth his salt is throwing over 60% completions if not higher, how accurate does a guy have to be to make up the gap in physical talent?

If your main trait is accuracy and you're throwing 67% completions but the guy who is more of a gunslinger is throwing 63% I'd argue your accuracy isn't much of an advantage at all.

I don't think that is common sense. I don't believe Tua would perform how Herbert has and I don't believe Herbert would be as bad as Tua has been.

Yes, Tua might be better than he is now and Herbert might be worse, but I don't think it's it's drastically enough that the perception of who is the better QB would change.

Hell, I thought it was common sense after watching their college tape that Herbert was the far better prospect, but others would disagree.

I'm not arguing TT vs any other QB. I'm only saying evaluating a QB without adjusting for surrounding talent is a failed evaluation.
Thus, move Lawrence to KC and Mahommes to Jax in '21 and convince me the rankings wouldn't have changed at all. They WOULD change. That was my only point.
Clearly, there are better and worse QBs. No one denies that. Marino never won a SB. Dilfer did. Now, I've never seen anyone rank Marino below Dilfer, but it illustrates "surrounding talent." And to be fair, you agree with that.

It comes back to a problem I've repeated many times.

Accuracy is important, but in a league where every QB worth his salt is throwing over 60% completions if not higher, how accurate does a guy have to be to make up the gap in physical talent?

If your main trait is accuracy and you're throwing 67% completions but the guy who is more of a gunslinger is throwing 63% I'd argue your accuracy isn't much of an advantage at all.

OTOH, take Mahommes and TT. Before I start, I'm NOT equating Mahommes and TT as equals.
Here is my point. Mahommes' receivers have average separation on 10yds (I made that up). TT's receiver's have 1 yd separation (I made that up too). For both to achieve 60% completion rate, accuracy has to be a factor.
Personally, I think mental quickness and quick release are as important as accuracy and arm strength.

Posts about Tua... his winning record! He's not good... his accuracy % anyone can throw 10 yard completions! He sucks at deep balls... except he had average of 2 seconds to throw, it takes 5 seconds to run 50 yards... does he suck or the oline suck? Must be Tua???
yes but u know and i know the defense win all most 70% of games..so does everybody else..gives x credit too.. he win somes games also...flo play the games so his defense would win games.. this yr is new yr.. let see how tua play..tua didnt win all off them games by his self...

I get the whole "unproven" situation since the team's entire offense was putrid, however there have been games where Tua has stepped up, won and proven his abilities. Also as others have mentiond how are Lawrence and Fields ahead of Tua, that's plain stupid if you ask me.

Hopefully this year Tua, shuts up all the naysayers including some of the Dolphin "fans".

We have a winner, Ladies and Gentlemen! Pick your prize.

Back
Top Bottom