NFL head coaches and executives rank QB’s | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL head coaches and executives rank QB’s

The Beatles

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Thought this was cool since it’s actual NFL coaches and executives doing it and not just a random twitter guy or writer.

The results reflect voting from 50 NFL coaches and executives, including six general managers, eight head coaches, 10 evaluators, 12 coordinators, six quarterback coaches and seven execs whose specialties include analytics, game management and the salary cap. The remaining ballot was put together by four members of one team’s personnel department.

The panel placed 35 veteran quarterbacks into one of five tiers, from best (Tier 1) to worst (Tier 5). Quarterbacks were then ranked by average vote and placed into tiers based on vote distribution, beginning with Aaron Rodgers, whose 1.00 average vote reflected his status as a unanimous Tier 1 selection.

The survey excludes rookies because voters have not seen them play in the NFL. More than one quarterback is featured for teams with unsettled starting jobs.

https://theathletic.com/3443022/2022/07/25/nfl-best-quarterbacks-tiers?source=user-shared-article

TIER 1

A Tier 1 quarterback can carry his team each week. The team wins because of him. He expertly handles pure passing situations. He has no real holes in his game.

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Patrick Mahomes
3. Tom Brady
4. Josh Allen
5. Justin Herbert
6. Joe Burrow

TIER 2

A Tier 2 quarterback can carry his team sometimes but not as consistently. He can handle pure passing situations in doses and/or possesses other dimensions that are special enough to elevate him above Tier 3. He has a hole or two in his game.

7. Matt Stafford
8. Russell Wilson
9. Deshaun Watson
10. Lamar Jackson
11. Dak Prescott
12. Derek Carr
13. Kyler Murray
14. Matt Ryan

TIER 3

A Tier 3 quarterback is a legitimate starter but needs a heavier running game and/or defensive component to win. A lower-volume dropback passing offense suits him best.

15. Kirk Cousins
16. Jimmy Garoppolo
17. Ryan Tannehill
18. Mac Jones
19. Baker Mayfield
20 (T). Jalen Hurts
20 (T). Carson Wentz
22. Jared Goff
23. Trevor Lawrence
24. Jameis Winston

TIER 4

A Tier 4 quarterback could be an unproven player (not enough information for voters to classify) or a veteran who ideally would not start all 17 games.

25. Justin Fields
26. Tua Tagovailoa
27. David Mills
28. Zach Wilson
29. Trey Lance
30. Daniel Jones
31. Marcus Mariota
32. Sam Darnold
33. Mitch Trubisky
34. Drew Lock
35. Geno Smith

Objectively, I think the ranking is almost perfect… a few nitpicks like:

-Russel Wilson a few slots higher
-Trevor Lawrence a few slots lower
-Tua ahead of Fields and Lawrence

Otherwise, it’s really hard to argue with any of it really, good list.

Can't argue with the first 14 at all. Mac jones hasn't proven anything, so to me he is a 4th tier guy. The rest on what we have seen is ok in my view.

If tier 3 means the QB needs a heavy running game and defense why is Carson Wentz in tier 3. Colts had J.Taylor and a stout defense and finished the season losing to the Raiders and Jaguars with the playoffs on the line. Wentz has gotten worse every year he is tier 4 and so is mac Jones. How has Fields proven to be better then Tua? This list has plenty to argue about

It isn't hate, its reality or rather an individual interpretation of reality. To pretend something is amazing just because it's yours....personally I find that a disgusting trait in humanity.
LOL..... IDK about disgusting, but for sure dishonest and/or petty.

I really don't think it is a case of pretending with most. They actually believe (often irrationally) that their particular possession, brand, etc. is better.

Having said that, the list is a joke.

Last edited:
Can't argue with the first 14 at all. Mac jones hasn't proven anything, so to me he is a 4th tier guy. The rest on what we have seen is ok in my view.
Big question for NE how McDaniels' departure will affect Jones' development. To a lesser extent same for Daboll and Allen. We don't ask this question for Tua and his new staff because the presumption is that the prior staff hindered more than helped his game.

It isn't hate, its reality or rather an individual interpretation of reality. To pretend something is amazing just because it's yours....personally I find that a disgusting trait in humanity.
Totally agree, although I just think it is 9 months early for a legit judgement on Tua.

Ya I figured Beatles would post this year. I know hatred towards one’s rival Is universally accepted, but his fixation on us, particularly Tua, has entered the clinically unhealthy realm.

if Tua succeeds, Ill bet we get a feverish barrage of negative Tua articles. It’s pretty sad really.

Back
Top Bottom