NFL LIVE's Ed Werder to update on Phins-Texans Scrimmage shortly! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL LIVE's Ed Werder to update on Phins-Texans Scrimmage shortly!

Fiedler will start vs. the Jags with the first unit....Feeley will start the following pre-season game with the first unit....

He said that Wannstedt was "enamoured" with Feeleys ability to throw downfield. After our rb quit, we were leaning toward Feeley because of his ability to get the ball downfield to Chambers, McMichael, and Boston. But, now since Boston is out, we may go with Fiedler and the more conservative approach.

PS. Don't shoot the messenger.

Werder also interjected that Wannstedt is really enamoured with Feeley's ability to throw the ball down the field, which is something this team hasn't had since Dan Marino was the quarterback.

Werder then stated that the feeling was that Feeley was going to get the start when the Dolphins were really considering more of a passing style to make up for the lost yards by Ricky. Werder then said that with the Boston injury, he thinks the Dolphins will probably be more conservative, and that could give Fiedler the edge. It should be noted that this was Werder's opinion.

I personaly feel the starter will be Feeley. They didn't give up a 2nd round pick for a clip board holder, and Feeley has the upside that Fiedler lacks. I also realize that the team may take some lumps early on while Feeley gets comfortable, but I believe starting Feeley will be better for the team in the long run. This team has to have the ability to stretch the field with the passing game. I believe they have receivers that can do the job, but I have never felt Jay Fiedler could take advantage of those receivers.

If Fielder does start this season it won't be for long. With him as the QB this team will go nowhere. Once the team struggles early with Fiedler, Feeley will get to play out the rest of the season. Hopefully this doesn't happen, I still think we have a shot at the playoffs with Feeley at QB. Fiedler is a career backup at best, it is a modern day miracle that he has fooled this coaching staff into thinking he is a starter for the past 3 seasons.

midwest_phinfan said:
He said that Wannstedt was "enamoured" with Feeleys ability to throw downfield. After our rb quit, we were leaning toward Feeley because of his ability to get the ball downfield to Chambers, McMichael, and Boston. But, now since Boston is out, we may go with Fiedler and the more conservative approach.

PS. Don't shoot the messenger.

Less than 24 hours ago, Wannstedt said, "We have confidence the other members of our wide receiver corps will step up and meet the challenge."

Perhaps a poll might be in order. Who was lying -- Wannstedt yesterday or Werder today. :roflmao:

midwest_phinfan said:
If Fielder does start this season it won't be for long. With him as the QB this team will go nowhere. Once the team is 1-3, 1-4 something like that with Fiedler, Feeley will get to play out the rest of the season. Hopefully this doesn't happen, I still think we have a shot at the playoffs with Feeley at QB. Fiedler is a career backup at best, it is a modern day miracle that he has fooled this coaching staff into thinking he is a starter for the past 3 seasons.
fiedler has not fooled anyone there just has not been any good competition brought in here to beat him out of the starting spot is all..griese was the only one and we all know how that turned out. if griese panned out last year then he would have been our starter this year but it did not happen. so enter a.j. feely lets see?

It should also be noted that Jay is actually what you want in a back up quarterback. He's a guy who can play 2 to 3 games for you without killing you in the process. It's just his limitations over a long term equation hurt more than his gutsy attitude helps.

From the Miami Herald's Camp Notes:

WHO'S HOT, WHO'S NOT

• HOT: QB A.J. Feeley had one of his strongest performances so far, making a pretty long throw that fell incomplete but could have been caught. He hit two intermediate routes, putting the ball right in his receivers' chests.

My comments: With David Boston out for the season and the disertion of Ricky Williams, the outlook for this season has taken quite a hit. I don't think any Fins fan can honestly believe we're going to make a run at the SB this year. So, IMO, they have to go with A.J. Feeley at QB. One of the biggest knocks agains AJ is that he is too inexperienced. So why not just let him get the experience he needs this season, let him get comfortable as an NFL starter, when the pressure of the Superbowl is no longer there? That way, next season, with upgraded talent around him and a year under his belt, he'll be ready to lead the team to victories. We already know (unfortunately) what Jay Fiedler brings to the team and that he is not the longterm answer for us, so I see this has the perfect time to let AJ show us what he and can't do. We spent a 2nd rounder on him, let's see if it was worth it.

Acrunch said:
My comments: With David Boston out for the season and the disertion of Ricky Williams, the outlook for this season has taken quite a hit. I don't think any Fins fan can honestly believe we're going to make a run at the SB this year. So, IMO, they have to go with A.J. Feeley at QB. One of the biggest knocks agains AJ is that he is too inexperienced. So why not just let him get the experience he needs this season, let him get comfortable as an NFL starter, when the pressure of the Superbowl is no longer there? That way, next season, with upgraded talent around him and a year under his belt, he'll be ready to lead the team to victories. We already know (unfortunately) what Jay Fiedler brings to the team and that he is not the longterm answer for us, so I see this has the perfect time to let AJ show us what he and can't do. We spent a 2nd rounder on him, let's see if it was worth it.

Wanny doesnt think like that. Remember last year when we were out of the hunt for the last game and we STILL played Fiedler over Sage. Sage could have shown us something or gotten some valuable starting experience, yet Wanny was that selfish to do whatever he could to get the extra win. No way would he put anyone in for experience.

The thing I am wondering is if Feely was going to take the starting spot because he looks better what changed? He can run the "more conservative" offense. I dont see the reasoning in starting the quarterback that is worse just to run a conservative offense.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fiedler begins the season as the starter, but A.J. has shown enough that IMO it's just a matter of time before JF gives way. It might even be better for the team if JF starts early on b/c it will take time for the o-line to gel and he is the more mobile QB. It depends on A.J.'s comfort level with the offense. If through the preseason A.J. shows that he is making quick reads and getting rid of the ball quickly, than he'll be the starter.

I know the offense changes with Ricky gone but I don't know that it changes with Boston gone. We hadn't even gotten to take advantage of his abilities yet. I'm not convinced that, if Wannstedt was ready to hand this thing to AJ Feeley, that Boston's injury really changes that. And I do think Feeley is the type of QB that could take advantage of Derrius' jumping ability and physical nature. I saw him do it over a 5 game period with Todd Pinkston...so I'm encouraged.

I'm bummed about Boston because of what could have been...but not distraught. I really expected him only to toss in about 800 yards in this offense...and I would have considered that a success. Derrius can't really reproduce that...and we'll see if Newson surprises us, but really...I don't expect things to be all that different.

Back
Top Bottom