NFL Network Calling Our D the Amoeba | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL Network Calling Our D the Amoeba

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Teams need to run the ball downhill against us...

I expect the patriots and Las Vegas to do just that...and these are games with playoff implications

I seen kc run somebody over too earlier this year but that was with osemele blowing out holes
That would be my strategy. To its credit, Miami's defense has made some big plays in the running game.

The Dolphins jumping to early leads has obviously helped minimize this weakness a little bit.

ChambersWI

Going Ghost
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
RE Amoeba -- we ran it a few times last year and got toasted.

Obviously something we've worked on a lot to get right.

Also helps to have significantly upgraded personnel.

>>> key point is -- amoeba makes presnap reads nearly impossible.

Definitely confused Herbert and also confuses OL assignments.

I would also imagine it's extremely challenging to prepare for

since proper execution by scout D would be really tuff.

Makes the O burn some time preparing for an "exotic."

Having KVN, Ogbah, Lawson, and AVG/Sieler for a full year instead of Trent Harris, Avery Moss, Charles Harris, and Taco Charlton makes a bit of a difference too... as does having Byron Jones and healthy X with Needham as the CBs over rocking Needham and Ryan Lewis and Ken Webster

Mindtornado

Support Our QB
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
That is true, I think. However, I believe the meaning here comes from the chaotic form and apparent lack of structure of an amoeba. Our entire defense takes on that appearance. At least, that's hopefully what it looks like to opposing QBs; making it much tougher to read both pre and post snap what we are actually doing.

IIRC, offenses started to have more success against in halfway through last year and the Fins went away from it a bit.

Maybe having so many multi-positional players will make it more sustainable.

mrbunglez

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.
Club Member
Reaction score
I think this is why Flores was so happy to get Raekwon Davis in the draft. He needed that big plug for runners in the middle of that line for this Amoeba defense to work. So many moving parts on that defense when I watch them use that Amoeba defense, disguises a lot of blitzes and coverage.

ATL_PHIN_FAN

Winner Under Construction
Reaction score
IIRC, offenses started to have more success against in halfway through last year and the Fins went away from it a bit.

Maybe having so many multi-positional players will make it more sustainable.
Yup. That appears to be the plan. Seems to be working thus far.

C l u t c H 385

Super Donator
Reaction score
THE REVOLTING BLOB!
a3bb95a2c7dff1ab-600x338.jpg

EJay

Scout Team
Reaction score

I expect the patriots and Las Vegas to do just that...and these are games with playoff implications

I seen kc run somebody over too earlier this year but that was with osemele blowing out holes

I was recently thinking ahead to the Raiders game (fans can do that!) Their rush attack with Josh Jacobs has me uber worried.

That's the area MIA's defense has struggled with most. Well that and mobile QB's. The rush game in general.

Jacobs is a physical beast.

AllFinsAllDay

Active Roster
Reaction score

You could see LA doing that last game and having a lot of success with it. Hopefully it was just due to Wilkins being out.

Top Bottom