NFL Network Calling Our D the Amoeba | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL Network Calling Our D the Amoeba

Dont like the name. Too wimpy. I like 'octopus' defense. So many tentacles going many different directions. You don't know which way the attack is coming from.
That's pretty good too. Faithful to the overall concept, except it's not quite so mysterious and unsettling, maybe?

BTW, if you were an organism smaller than an amoeba, your first thought would NOT be that amoebae are wimpy. These horrifying blobs are considered masters of their microscopic world, if I recall my HS biology correctly.

Last edited:
Speaking of the NFL Network, you gotta love MJ Acosta. A big Dolphin fan, and former cheerleader for the fins, that's been showing them love every day. Plus, she has the best legs in TV. : )

Although the term 'amoeba' may seem appropriate, I prefer it be named something as equally fitting of the way multipurpose defenders move both towards and away from the line of scrimmage pre-snap - as well they flow from side to side.

Okay, I can't keep the secret anymore, you guys. I was sent from the future to study this team - as historians, before we invented time travel, were always perplexed by the only team in NFL history that not only went undefeated once but also (decades later) were the only team to 'three-peat' Super Bowl championships.

Anyway, it's called the "Wave Defense" and it's legendary. Don't tell anyone I told you.

Did anyone actually watch the vid?

It wasn't about a "nickname" for Miami's overall defense. It was about a specific alignment/set where nobody is in a 3 or 4 pt stance, and the players are all jumbled together and milling around pre snap. This doesn't allow the QB any real pre snap read (as counts and jersey numbers are nebulous), and post snap, it may be a jailbreak cover zero, a conservative cover three, or anything in between, making the post snap read more of a guess.

It's an interesting concept for those into Xs and Os.

Did anyone actually watch the vid?

It wasn't about a "nickname" for Miami's overall defense. It was about a specific alignment/set where nobody is in a 3 or 4 pt stance, and the players are all jumbled together and milling around pre snap. This doesn't allow the QB any real pre snap read (as counts and jersey numbers are nebulous), and post snap, it may be a jailbreak cover zero, a conservative cover three, or anything in between, making the post snap read more of a guess.

It's an interesting concept for those into Xs and Os.
Vanna, I think we have a winner! :hclap:

P.S. I think I like the name too. Hope someone can come up with something that fits better for our unique version. I like Kraken so far.

I'll take a stab at naming this type of defense.

How about a "Mob", of "Mob rule".

Just using what I saw on the news this election cycle about rioters - LOL

Just think of the different ways that term can be used i.e. "mobbing up the offense" - HaHa

I'll take a stab at naming this type of defense.

How about a "Mob", of "Mob rule".

Just using what I saw on the news this election cycle about rioters - LOL

Just think of the different ways that term can be used i.e. "mobbing up the offense" - HaHa
Yet, while it appears chaotic as well as threatening like a mob, it's actually tricky complex and structured. The chaos hides that. So much so, that most QBs would be hopelessly lost trying to figure out in the short time available to them.

I think a more suitable name would include those characteristics?

Back
Top Bottom