NFL people offer cautionary warning to Dolphins. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL people offer cautionary warning to Dolphins.

Dolph N.Fan

Active Roster
Reaction score
▪ The Minkah Fitzpatrick trade - the latest in which Miami dealt an established player for a draft pick — elicited cautionary warnings from former NFL executives and national media members.

Former Tampa Bay general manager Mark Dominik: “The Dolphins now have all these picks, but honestly the GM has been there drafting the same players they are now trading away.”...

“It sounds nice, but the odds are against them nailing enough picks to move the needle. Just look at the history of teams with multiple picks.. It’s hard to find teams who’ve successfully parlayed draft picks into peak performance from multiple players from the same draft class.”...

After longtime NFL writer Jason Cole said, “At a certain point what the Dolphins are doing is not healthy for the organization and players,” ESPN’s Chris Mortensen added: “Or the NFL. What about protecting “The Shield?”...

More here https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article234832302.html

There’s a tidbit from Vontae Davis about shipping away talent.

Yeah, look how poor JJ did with all of those picks in Dallas. He never moved the needle either. :rolleyes:

The more picks you have, especially higher picks, the more chances you have to hit. Pretty damn obvious to me. And it's not simply one pick per player traded. We got 2 1st round picks and a 2nd for a merely solid LT, not a dominant HOFer like Boselli or Munoz or someone.

And building a team that should be able to compete for championships is not "healthy" for the organization or players?? Give me a break. Protecting the shield? All the "Shield" is interested in is money and protecting the corrupt Patriots organization.

Your earliest first rounder needs to be a pro-bowler or potential All-Pro. Your next two first rounders need to be starters, but not necessarily be elite. Just plug in and play quality football. They should at least give the front office something to think about when the rookie contracts are up. The rest of the draft is gravy. You’d hope for a 2nd or 3rd round starter, but who knows, and then maybe some depth or surprise contributor in the later rounds.

Former Tampa Bay general manager Mark Dominik: “The Dolphins now have all these picks, but honestly the GM has been there drafting the same players they are now trading away.”...

From a guy that has barely any more inside info on the Dolphins org than we do.

As has been pointed out ad naseam, Grier was also working with Tannenbaum — who is now gone — and on behalf of the vision/philosophy of his former HC Adam Gase.

Numerous factors and scenarios have changed.

Now Grier is making decisions on his own and on behalf of the vision/philosophy of Brian Flores and his new staff. Time will tell if the choices will be better, the same or worse.

But acting as if the circumstances are exactly the same shows a bit of ignorance.

We did nothing wrong. I'm not buying into that BS. Tunsil was a deal you'll see once in a life time. 2 #1,s and 2 #2,s. We just had to take that. How do we keep Fitzpatrick when he insisted he wants out. So we get #1 for him wanting out. We definitely made the right decision, and there jealous. If this was New England. We be a genius

I agree wholeheartedly with the criticism. If we keep Grier we are doomed for more of the same.

Can we start a petition to have Chris Grier replaced by the end of this season? I dont want 5 more Charles Harris' or 5 more Mike Gesicki's or 5 more Michael Deiters or other scrubby/mediocre players this team has been laden with.

I want to pick the good players that are the obvious picks like Derwin James was or like Derrick Bennett was instead of Charles Harris or how Dallas Goedert was instead of Mike Gesicki.

Some will say this is revisionist history but some of us knew these things, said them before the draft and during the draft as it happened.

I want Tua with the 1st pick, a stud pass rusher with our 2nd pick, I want us sign proven free agent offensive lineman as well as drafting and turning every corner to fix the oline and find depth.

I want us to cut Bobby McCain and to find better better candidates for FS and slot corner. We need a star middle linebacker.

If we can do all of these things we will be set for a bright future.

Last edited:
Tunsil was too good to pass up. I'm sure wed love to have kept him. Couldnt pass that up . That was a haul for a non all pro player. And we wanted minkah to be an elite player for us, minkah couldnt handle it and wanted out. It's not 1970, they want out they get out.

But being said. If we replaced grier this off season it wouldnt bother me one way or another. The thing I do like about grier compared to past regimes is...someone described it as ebay... were posting mim bid, it doesnt matter how much you bid, if you dont hit that min were not making the trade. In the past we wouldve seen panic and get the first thing we could get.

We prob couldve gotten Rosen cheaper, but other than that, zero issues with his trades, not just pay someone to take jones.

I also wonder if those same NFL people offered a cautionary warning about doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Seems to me, the Dolphins are trying to avoid insanity by finally trying something different.

Yet people are still complaining and offering cautionary warnings. Go figure.

The easy part is done...acquiring picks which took sending out talent.

The hard part hasn't even begun...acquiring talent.

No way of knowing how this is going to turn out yet.

Last edited:
Yeah, look how poor JJ did with all of those picks in Dallas. He never moved the needle either. :rolleyes:

The more picks you have, especially higher picks, the more chances you have to hit. Pretty damn obvious to me. And it's not simply one pick per player traded. We got 2 1st round picks and a 2nd for a merely solid LT, not a dominant HOFer like Boselli or Munoz or someone.

And building a team that should be able to compete for championships is not "healthy" for the organization or players?? Give me a break. Protecting the shield? All the "Shield" is interested in is money and protecting the corrupt Patriots organization.
I keep seeing this comparison but it is apples to oranges. JJ traded away one player (Walker) and already had the likes of Irvin and Aikman on the team. There was already a lot of talent there. JJ traded away one player with a lot of talent on the team. He did not trade away Aikman, Irvin, or any other talent that he had on the team. We have traded away the most talented guys we have with hardly any talent left on the roster. 2 COMPLETELY different scenarios.

Look at all the teams trying to win and are 0-2 just like us.

Jets, Panthers, Steelers, Jags, Broncos, Giants & Skins. Only difference between us and them is that they're trying really hard to win and aren't.

Back
Top Bottom