NFL people offer cautionary warning to Dolphins. | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL people offer cautionary warning to Dolphins.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a bigger obvious tank job than what miamis doing now.

I mean this is blatant and the product utterly unwatchable.

I just hope we get the pay off come 2020 draft.

If we start healthy scratching guys with phantom injuries as the season winds down lol
Scratch the kickers on the same day

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a bigger obvious tank job than what miamis doing now.

I mean this is blatant and the product utterly unwatchable.

I just hope we get the pay off come 2020 draft.

If we start healthy scratching guys with phantom injuries as the season winds down lol
That’s why they started in March - but the recent trades couldn’t have been engineered

All things considered, we actually went through a pretty solid retooling during Philbin's first two years. We cast aside some veterans but still kept a reasonably functional roster, identified young players we could build around and signed players to fill big holes, and we were on the cusp of making the playoffs the next two years except our coaching staff was filled with buffoons who lost so many games they should have won and couldn't teach our QB or team at large to finish.

What we're doing now, emptying the roster completely of talent (and at least for the moment playing a 36 year old QB instead of a young guy with upside) is nonsensical.

Pardon my opinion but THIS has to be the poster poster-child for "nonsensical" when you're trying to sell
anything to do with Philbin as some kind of comparative to the situation today!

If you buy that you're gonna love Tedd Ginn's family!

But of course -- we're "failing forward!"

Wha?

What we may suck in a few years? Fk the shield, it hasn't been kind to Miami in a long long time.

Yeah, look how poor JJ did with all of those picks in Dallas. He never moved the needle either. :rolleyes:

The more picks you have, especially higher picks, the more chances you have to hit. Pretty damn obvious to me. And it's not simply one pick per player traded. We got 2 1st round picks and a 2nd for a merely solid LT, not a dominant HOFer like Boselli or Munoz or someone.

And building a team that should be able to compete for championships is not "healthy" for the organization or players?? Give me a break. Protecting the shield? All the "Shield" is interested in is money and protecting the corrupt Patriots organization.

Why do people who think what the Fins are doing is good always reach back to the Jimmy Johnson Cowboys? Jimmy Johnson didn't tank. They didn't even have that many picks relative to what some other teams have had! Michael Irvin, Ken Norton, Nate Newton, Mark Tuinei, Bill Bates, Kelvin Martin, Jim Jeffcoat and Kevin Gogan were on the roster already. They drafted Aikman, Wisniewski, Mark Stepnoski, Daryl Johnston and Tony Tolbert in 1989, it had nothing to do with Herschel Walker. The Walker trade yielded Russell Maryland, Darren Woodson,Emmitt Smith, Kevin Smith, Clayton Holmes, Stan Smagala and Alonzo Highsmith via a series of trades. Don't hear much about those last 3 dudes.

I don't hear anybody talk about that 2000-02 Jets team that had 6 first round picks and 2 seconds in 3 years and then went 6-10. Browns had 13 firsts and 16 seconds in 7 years, a number of high picks that boggles the mind and they're still losing, but even they didn't tank, they just sucked.

Your earliest first rounder needs to be a pro-bowler or potential All-Pro. Your next two first rounders need to be starters, but not necessarily be elite. Just plug in and play quality football. They should at least give the front office something to think about when the rookie contracts are up. The rest of the draft is gravy. You’d hope for a 2nd or 3rd round starter, but who knows, and then maybe some depth or surprise contributor in the later rounds.

I think all of our picks will be starting, from the 1st pick to the last pick. I would say only about 20 will still be on the team from this yr after we get our free agents. hole new team for 2020.

If Miami hits on only 60% of thier picks, Miami is probably a more talented team then in 2018, where if not for Tannehill getting hurt for most of the 1st half, and losing a few key players for the season, Miami could have gone to the playoffs.

The real question might be, how good is the coaching.

Your earliest first rounder needs to be a pro-bowler or potential All-Pro. Your next two first rounders need to be starters, but not necessarily be elite. Just plug in and play quality football. They should at least give the front office something to think about when the rookie contracts are up. The rest of the draft is gravy. You’d hope for a 2nd or 3rd round starter, but who knows, and then maybe some depth or surprise contributor in the later rounds.
With 5 picks in the first two rounds and possibly two in the first 10 I think I want an elite player, another all-pro and at least 3 more starters out of the draft. I don't think that's unreasonable for most teams to want, let alone one as talent deficient as the Dolphins.

If Miami hits on only 60% of thier picks, Miami is probably a more talented team then in 2018, where if not for Tannehill getting hurt for most of the 1st half, and losing a few key players for the season, Miami could have gone to the playoffs.

The real question might be, how good is the coaching.
Not sure any teams hit on 60% of their draft picks, at least not year over year. Of course, the definition of "hit" can be subjective.

Why do people who think what the Fins are doing is good always reach back to the Jimmy Johnson Cowboys? Jimmy Johnson didn't tank. They didn't even have that many picks relative to what some other teams have had! Michael Irvin, Ken Norton, Nate Newton, Mark Tuinei, Bill Bates, Kelvin Martin, Jim Jeffcoat and Kevin Gogan were on the roster already. They drafted Aikman, Wisniewski, Mark Stepnoski, Daryl Johnston and Tony Tolbert in 1989, it had nothing to do with Herschel Walker. The Walker trade yielded Russell Maryland, Darren Woodson,Emmitt Smith, Kevin Smith, Clayton Holmes, Stan Smagala and Alonzo Highsmith via a series of trades. Don't hear much about those last 3 dudes.

I don't hear anybody talk about that 2000-02 Jets team that had 6 first round picks and 2 seconds in 3 years and then went 6-10. Browns had 13 firsts and 16 seconds in 7 years, a number of high picks that boggles the mind and they're still losing, but even they didn't tank, they just sucked.

Who said Dallas tanked? The point is they had a bunch of picks and they effectively used them to build their championship teams.

Now Miami has a crap load of picks and people keep acting like that's a bad thing! Trading Tunsil for 2 1sts and a 2nd is no-brainer that almost any team would have done. Whether or not trading Fitzpatrick was a good idea can be debated. He may turn out to be a pro bowler but so far he hasn't really flashed anything that points to him being any sort of dominant player. Plus, as we know he was crying about wanted released. That doesn't sound like a future locker room leader to me....someone who quits when things get tough.

And the main thing the Jets and Browns had in common is that neither obtained a franchise qb in those drafts. And if Miami doesn't either, whether it's Rosen or a draft pick, then we'll probably never achieve greatness either, even with all of the high picks.

There is literally not one position on the Dolphins that doesn't require an upgrade, which is somewhat depressing but also makes drafting simpler. Teams tend to overdraft based on positional need, we shouldn't have that problem. We pretty much have a blank canvas to work with, so you take BPA at every turn. Even if we sign an OT and DE in the offseason, we still have the other side to fill.

We had no talent and no cap space to begin with! Thanks Tannenbum! Of course we're going to have to trade away players who are actually good to get good returns. The only thing we can do is make sure we good value.

And let's be real, the Colts tanked for Andrew Luck harder than we're tanking this year. They specifically went out and said "Luck is a generational talent and we are going to lose these games to get him" and then proceeded to drive him into retirement through mismanagement. And yet we're the bad guys, when we're the equivalent of the 0-16 Lions or 0-16 Browns. I don't recall people accusing the Browns of ruining the NFL or anything like that. No, they just sucked. But now that we suck and build up some draft picks, it's wrong. :shrug:

Yes, it's possible but Tunsil was rated as the #1 prospect by many when he came out.

Doesn't matter where or how he was rated. How did he perform in MIA? He was good at times, but also inconsistent and oft injured. He certainly was far from elite.

But they received compensation as if he was a perennial all-pro. That's a win for MIA.

Houston's draft spot is to be determined, but I'd guess they win at least 9 games meaning maybe somewhere around 20.

I think Pittsburgh actually may end up 8-8 or a little worse. So for Fitzpatrick, Miami probably nets a middle of the round pick. Probably a good player.

We'll have to see.

But even of the picks end up lower than where Tunsil or Fitzpatrick were selected doesn't mean the Dolphins won't get a better player and someone that fits in with their new direction better.

Again, we will have to see. At this point, we are all just speculating.

Back
Top Bottom