NFL playoff structure is about to be changed. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL playoff structure is about to be changed.

It seems to be just a proposal, and I assume, contrary to the tweet, it wouldn't go into effect until the 2021 season.

I know the players look at it as more playoff $ to spread around, but as a fan, there are already enough mediocre teams in the postseason.

Basketball is already like that, where .500 or under teams can garner a playoff birth.

I guess it would be a little different with the NFL. Any given Sunday, but in roundball, in a series, it has become a foregone conclusion, and waste of time.

Maybe I'm not following this but how do 7 teams fit into one playoff bracket. Does one team get two bye weeks? Or do 6 teams play and only one team gets a bye?

Maybe I'm not following this but how do 7 teams fit into one playoff bracket. Does one team get two bye weeks? Or do 6 teams play and only one team gets a bye?

One team gets a bye. 6 teams play. 3 teams win + the team with the bye=4. Thats an even number, no?

So all those years where Miami finished just outside the playoffs at 9-7 we would now be in. If there's going to be three wildcard spots I think you might see a 8-8 team slipping into the postseason every now and then.

I wonder how a 17 game schedule will impact the cap space for each team. Because players sign their contracts based on playing a 16 game regular season and they do not receive the same pay for pre season games.
I would assume that the players union would demand that the players salaries be adjusted upward to compensate for the extra regular season game. Since a new CBA is scheduled to be negotiated after the 2020 season,
‘I would be very surprised if these changes take place before the new contract is agreed upon by the players and owners.

The only good thing about it is dropping a preseason game. Otherwise it’s the fallacy that more is better, when it’s only going to increase the randomness of the playoffs and devalue the regular season. Oh well, not like the NFL isn’t all about shooting itself in the foot.

Reactions: A1.
Back
Top Bottom