NFL replacement players making it big | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL replacement players making it big

Dol_Fan_4_Ever

Future 1st Rounder
Reaction score
I've been thinking over this for the past couple days and I was just wondering since I was too young to remember all of this (I was about 3 or 4 at the time), during the NFL strike, did any replacement players actually get any big contracts after the strike ended?

I don't think you were even born. I think it was the 1982 season

Doug Flutie was a scab in the '87 strike season and went onto a great career.

My bad, he's just short. :lol:

Seriously, this is a very good question.

Muck said:
Doug Flutie was a scab in the '87 strike season and went onto a great career.

My bad, he's just short. :lol:

Seriously, this is a very good question.
great CFL career! :lol:

I didnt even know there were NFL strikes. I am guessing the owners got the best of the player in both case considering how weak the NFL players association is. Does anyone know why that is? It seems as though the MLB players association is much stronger with the guarenteed contracts, no salary cap, and only now did steriods become illegal within the sport. Am I wrong in saying the NFLPA is weak?

I don't know if you guys remember QB Steve Bono from the Chiefs, he was a scab and went on to be a starter at some point.

I may be wrong but I believe QB Elvis Grbac was a scab.

Also, I believe LT was the only NFL player who crossed the picket line and played regardelsss of the strike....I was about 10 yrs old when it happened.

I know QB Steve Bono was a scab for sure....but that's the only one I can remember for sure that was a scab.

The only replacement player I know of who went on to have a successful NFL career was Mark Royals.

Mark Rypien was a scab for the Skins ( I am 99%sure) and went on to win the SB.

I think Erik Kramer was a scab. Not a great career but started for Chicago for a few years. I think during the Wanny years. Elvis Grbac was not a scab he was drafted by the Niners.

Predaphin said:
I don't know if you guys remember QB Steve Bono from the Chiefs, he was a scab and went on to be a starter at some point.

I may be wrong but I believe QB Elvis Grbac was a scab.

Also, I believe LT was the only NFL player who crossed the picket line and played regardelsss of the strike....I was about 10 yrs old when it happened.

I know QB Steve Bono was a scab for sure....but that's the only one I can remember for sure that was a scab.

That was well Grbac's time. I don't think he came around until mid 90's

Haha, well I was just curious about this. If anyone can think of any other scabs, please keep us informed. Especially those that remember 80's sports.

Back
Top Bottom