Nfl Throwback's "quick Release" - 20 Minutes Of Dan Marino Highlights | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Nfl Throwback's "quick Release" - 20 Minutes Of Dan Marino Highlights

What still baffles me when I think about it is how he had no patience for Chuck Studley - dismissing him after the horrific showing in the SB vs SF. I think he got just one season before being canned. Then Olivadatti basically runs the same defense that Studley did and lasts 10 years. I’ll never understand it.

They were 19th in defense out of 28 teams in 1984... and it came on the heels of the Killer B’s who were a #1 ranked defense at one point...that defense was so bad that offense had to abandon the running game.... which put Marino in a tough situation against a truly great Niner team.... which was 18-1 that year.

No shocker Studley got canned... Olivadotti staying was a shocker.

They were 19th in defense out of 28 teams in 1984... and it came on the heels of the Killer B’s who were a #1 ranked defense at one point...that defense was so bad that offense had to abandon the running game.... which put Marino in a tough situation against a truly great Niner team.... which was 18-1 that year.

No shocker Studley got canned... Olivadotti staying was a shocker.
Agree 100%. In 1984 our D got worse as the season went on. My point was Don wastes little time getting rid of him but kept TO forever when he was putting the same or worse defense out there year after year.

I sure got tired of seeing starting CBs Paul Lankford and William Judson out there year after year for about 5-6 yrs. They got absolutely torched!
Judson wasn’t bad and had his moments. The bigger issue was no pass rush - we had guys like TJ Turner, Little, Sochia, Klingbeil etc who probably had 4 sacks between them for their careers. It was a vanilla scheme that didn’t disrupt offenses IIR correctly.

Judson wasn’t bad and had his moments. The bigger issue was no pass rush - we had guys like TJ Turner, Little, Sochia, Klingbeil etc who probably had 4 sacks between them for their careers. It was a vanilla scheme that didn’t disrupt offenses IIR correctly.
Turner couldn’t rush. Bosa could rush but injuries did him in. Kumerow couldn’t. Sochia could rush a bit from the outside. Klingbiel wasn’t supposed to rush. It wasn’t until Jeff Cross and Marco Coleman came along that things started to go well

Turner couldn’t rush. Bosa could rush but injuries did him in. Kumerow couldn’t. Sochia could rush a bit from the outside. Klingbiel wasn’t supposed to rush. It wasn’t until Jeff Cross and Marco Coleman came along that things started to go well
Cross and Coleman were good. I still say we ran a very basic read and react scheme that got picked apart too easily / had trouble getting off of the field. A little creativity at DC might have gone a long way. We had some good players during that span even if our top D draft picks busted in the mid 80’s.

Cross and Coleman were good. I still say we ran a very basic read and react scheme that got picked apart too easily / had trouble getting off of the field. A little creativity at DC might have gone a long way. We had some good players during that span even if our top D draft picks busted in the mid 80’s.
Brophy, Shipp, Bosa, Kumerow...

Yes, but he was also the DC the year the Dolphins annihilated them in the playoffs in 1992– the only time the Dolphins won a playoff game past the wild card round in the last 30+ years.
As well as being the DC in the 81 loss to the Chargers and the Super Bowl loss to Washington in 82. His schemes were great, but his scheme and players were overmatched at critical times. Had he stayed for the 84 season, I think the Super Bowl would’ve at least been more competitive, but I doubt they would’ve won that one, even after beating the 49ers the previous season.

Would love too see what he would do in this pass friendly post-2004 era....you forget how good he was at avoiding the rush!
No kiddin, back then you basically could drape yourself onto receivers back and it was legal. In today's game, if you fart in close proximity to a WR it's a penalty.

He would have 8000 yards a season if he played today.
That's one reason it's hard to compare QB's and proclaim one over another as the GOAT. The game was so much different back then, the rules now are designed to promote scoring. People, for the most part, would rather watch a 38-35 game than a 7-3 one. If he played in today's era, he would no doubt be head and shoulders above the rest. He was IMO the best passing QB of all time, not the best athlete or best runner but the best pure passer ever to play the game. His pocket presence and quick release were second to none. Man, I miss him playing...

Back
Top Bottom