Nfl Vs College Ball. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Nfl Vs College Ball.

NFL vs. College Ball

• Total voters

mrbunglez

Gator don't play no ****!
Club Member
Reaction score
Simple question which would you rather watch? College or the NFL?
I chose college ball. I’ve gotten to the point where I’d rather watch these young guys who are developing turn into either something special or a dud. Plus I don’t have to just like a specific team.... even though I been a Gators fan for a long while.

Hockey. Football and it’s 54-51 scores is dumb. Can’t play defense. Stupid. Sport is dying a little more every day.

Hockey. Football and it’s 54-51 scores is dumb. Can’t play defense. Stupid. Sport is dying a little more every day.

That’s the rarest or rare when two all time great offenses meet.

Sounds like you would’ve enjoyed the Jacksonville vs Tennessee game 9-6 a little better, no?

Give me KC or the Rams over what Miami’s been for almost two decades now (he’ll, they weren’t great on offense even during the JJ/Marino years). The post-Shula Dolphins have been mediocre and, even worse, boring as hell— aside from a stray year or two in that time frame like Ricky’s 2002.

I can’t watch NFL without complaining about the refs. They dictate a lot of these games . The way the rules are now for the defense makes the NFL sickening.

College. There’s a 54-51 game weekly in some conferences. I like the pageantry, the Saturday mornings, pride in alma mater, etc...I used to watch the NFL with the expectation that it would be football in a purer form with a more level playing field of talent, fundamentals, and defense, but that’s fading fast. There’s not much difference between the styles of play now. It’s going Arena League.

I voted college. I like the roster turnover. At worst I’d be stuck with a QB I’m not a fan of for 4 years. That being said I take NFL losses harder than college.

That’s the rarest or rare when two all time great offenses meet.

Sounds like you would’ve enjoyed the Jacksonville vs Tennessee game 9-6 a little better, no?
That was too much for me in the other direction. How about 24-21 type games?

Not close...college

Better atmosphere, more stylistic variety on offense and defense, fewer restrictions on defense. I love the fact that dominant recruiting teams can still field a defense that all but smothers the opposition. Alabama in 2011 gave up 8.2 points per game.

It feels like an event that defines your city and your region, since so many of the players are local. Nothing similar in the NFL, where players are drafted almost at random from across the country. Instead of our kids proved superior to your kids it's more like our personnel guy is superior to your personnel guy. Yawn.

I also think the longer halftime is a huge advantage that is seldom mentioned. The 20 minute gap as opposed to 12 not only allows for more adjustments by the team, but it enables fans to take a bathroom/concession break, or check other games, or simply stretch their legs. The game feels truly divided into halves. At 15 minutes the NFL wasn't too bad but now with 12 it is ridiculously cramped, not even enough time for full halftime highlight packages. The early to mid third quarter is half empty because fans simply don't have enough time to return to their seats.

More bad beats in college also. Check out this one I had in 1985. I hadn't seen this tape in 33 years until someone from Las Vegas told me recently that the full game was available online. I had Hawaii +16.5 points hosting BYU in the season finale. They trailed 20-6 with the clock running and BYU had no intention of running another play. Then a reserve Hawaii linebacker rushed in and inexplicably called time out with 7 seconds remaining. We found out later that he did so because he knew it was an unwritten rule that everybody on the team was supposed to play in the season finale, and a couple of his buddies were linebackers who had not entered the game. He told the defensive coordinator. They came in. BYU on the bonus play ran a sweep right and plowed into the end zone to cover.

I was at Caesar's Palace when this happened. Guys were going nuts in both directions, some in exuberant disbelief and some in shock, like myself. I remember people picking up recently discarded tickets off the floor.

In listening to the tape I am very confident that color commentator Paul Maguire had action on Hawaii himself. At about 2 minutes remaining he started imploring BYU to run the clock out so nobody would get hurt. Then when the time out is called he says disgustedly in the background, "You've gotta be..."

Maguire is clearly thinking about himself and his wager, but when analyst Jim Simpson starts to chuckle then Maguire regroups and begins to chuckle himself. But he didn't mean it. He was shocked.

Once BYU scores he says, "That's called...if you call a time out we'll stick it right in your face."

Clearly a changed tone, exactly like someone who just lost a bet but is trying to calm himself.

In watching this tape I thought I would be reliving my misfortune from so long ago. But the added bonus of Paul Maguire suffering the same wagering fate turned out to be the highlight. Good stuff starts at about 2:24.00 on the tape when Robbie Bosco throws into the end zone and then Maguire starts imploring them to run the ball and run the clock out since everybody on the team is tired:

https://www.byutv.org/player/c6d3567a-aa94-484e-92aa-8cd264d32317/byu-football-byu-hawaii-1271985

Tough call when I watch college and the HD is signaling into the qb the defensive alignment I usually turn it off.

I do love watching SDSU Rocky Long proudly uses a real fullback. I love smash mouth football.

Back
Top Bottom