NFL Workouts too much? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL Workouts too much?

Nublar7

Retired FinHeaven Staff
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2005/03/27/a3b_PBP_DOLPHINS_0327.html
Count former Dolphins fullback Rob Konrad among the players who believe NFL off-season programs are too long and intense and are contributing to the increase in injuries around the league.

"Guys are completely worn down," said Konrad, who was a player representative for the Dolphins. "Our program in Miami was too much. ... A huge issue for us is injuries. The human body can only take so much."

Although the Dolphins won't play a regular-season game until September, a "voluntary" 14-week conditioning program already has begun.
"It will be a hell of an off-season," said Konrad, who was released by Miami this year and is expected to sign with Oakland. "All this does is shorten careers. Another issue is that coaches like (Dave) Wannstedt will never run an easy camp because they're afraid they'll be blamed if they lose. No coach wants to be perceived as soft."
"This has turned into a year-round job," Dolphins cornerback Patrick Surtain said. "That may have an effect on why injuries are up."

The good news for Surtain  if he's not traded  and other Dolphins players is that Saban was known to look out for his players' health while coaching at LSU. He had no back-to-back, multiple-practice sessions, and his practices were shorter, with limited contact. The Tigers experienced few serious injuries.

In Maui, Saban said Miami will skip its scrimmage this year because of the five exhibition games, and the team will have a "balanced" off-season of preparation.

"The season is a long season," Saban said. "You want to develop strength, but you want to peak the conditioning toward the end of the program. We want physical development, but we don't want to overwork anybody."

that was a good post, i never knew players had concerns like that. good to hear saban thinks rationally when it comes to his conditioning.... too many coaches over work players, and not just in the pros, im talkin about on all levels.

I tell you what, let me work out for 14 weeks, practice and play football for a living for the vet minimum of like $800,000 a year. These guys have it really tough.

i do agree with you there mustang guy

67Stang said:
I tell you what, let me work out for 14 weeks, practice and play football for a living for the vet minimum of like $800,000 a year. These guys have it really tough.

And the Phins havent been to the playoffs in 2 years, so that means, they have had a extra month off. :cry:

With Konrad, I think we used him wrong and he will do good with the Raiders; that being said, the comment by Shannon Sharp a few years ago that "Konrad couldn't block his way out of a wet paper bag" has stuck with me. For as big as he was, he hit like a little girl. Like I said, he has talent, but not for the power game we tried for.

I'd like to know the details of that 14 week conditioning program. We could all follow along & get into good shape.

67Stang said:
With Konrad, I think we used him wrong and he will do good with the Raiders; that being said, the comment by Shannon Sharp a few years ago that "Konrad couldn't block his way out of a wet paper bag" has stuck with me. For as big as he was, he hit like a little girl. Like I said, he has talent, but not for the power game we tried for.

Konrad could block, he just could help but get hurt nearly every time he did....Our running game always seemed to be better when Konrad was healthy and in the game than when he wasn't for the last 3 years. Too bad he couldn't stay healthy...and too bad NT didn't utilize his skills more...

Back
Top Bottom