NFLDraft Scouts Reviews Draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFLDraft Scouts Reviews Draft

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
I didn't see this posted, and I looked back like 5 pages worth of threads, so my apologies if someone already posted it.

http://nfldraft.scout.com/2/376144.html?refid=3652

The silliest part of it is where it suggested that Matt Roth slipped to the 2nd round because folks around the league thought he "lacked mental skills" and "was not the sharpest tool in the shed"

Folks, saying you need a high wonderlic to be a defensive end in football is like saying you need a high vertical to be a pitcher in MLB.

Try telling Simeon Rice you need a high intellect to be a quality defensive end. Yeesh. Consistently, DEs are some of the lowest wonderlic scorers in the draft, I think second only to WRs...if second at all.

ckparrothead said:
I didn't see this posted, and I looked back like 5 pages worth of threads, so my apologies if someone already posted it.

The silliest part of it is where it suggested that Matt Roth slipped to the 2nd round because folks around the league thought he "lacked mental skills" and "was not the sharpest tool in the shed"

Folks, saying you need a high wonderlic to be a defensive end in football is like saying you need a high vertical to be a pitcher in MLB.

Try telling Simeon Rice you need a high intellect to be a quality defensive end. Yeesh. Consistently, DEs are some of the lowest wonderlic scorers in the draft, I think second only to WRs...if second at all.

Really, DE has to be one of THE easiest positions to play in all of football. It's harder from a mental standpoint to punt the ball.

I never thought about it, utt here is a good chance Vickerson gets some playing time this year. With CHester and Bowens as big question marks, he could definately find teh field.

Yeah, no doubt. It's strange to me. The way our DT position is shaking out I just can't see Saban putting Chester and Bowens on the field at the same time, or even Chester and Romero. I think maybe Jeff Zgonina and Kevin Carter will rotate at RDT along with Vonnie Holliday, Chester and Bowens will rotate at LDT (which will actually play like a nose tackle, over the right shoulder of the Center), and Kevin Carter will play LDE but rotate over to RDT in favor of Matt Roth and David Bowens, who also could rotate in for Donnie Spragan at SSLB. What Vickerson will need to hope to do, is learn to play the NT position when/if Bowens and Chester cannot. He will also learn to play RDT, in case Carter ever gets bogged down needing to play LDE a lot (which could be the situation if we find we aren't able to stop the run with Carter playing inside). The only problem with all of this is Saban has said that Carter will mostly play DE for us. We'll see. With us being so thin at DT, I just don't see a whole lot of times when we'll have two true DTs on the field.

Zgonina?

I thought Zgonina was gone? Did Miami resign him? I thought he went back to the Rams. I really gotta lay off the pipe:D
Ricky too of course.

Amok said:
I thought Zgonina was gone? Did Miami resign him? I thought he went back to the Rams. I really gotta lay off the pipe:D
Ricky too of course.
There were talks of us trading Jeff Zgonina to the St. Louis Rams for their 6th round pick before the draft, but for whatever reason it never happened. So therefore, we still have Zgonina, and in my opinion there's still a somewhat decent chance that we might end up trading or releasing him.

Nice post CK....I think Roth just has to be told, "See Quarterback, Get Quarterback," and he will be all over over him like an animal. The only thinking may come if Roth has to drop back into an occasional 3-4 and play the OLB spot, but I don't think the Wonderlic scores are relevant for many positions.....I think it might make sense when going after a QB, but Roth's main job is getting after the QB and ripping him apart. :lol:

I can't see us having Zgonina even. He can't play DE, while Carter, Holliday, and Vickerson can. Also he's a liability against the run. The same goes for Romero to a less degree IMO.

ckparrothead said:

Exactly right, CK. A DE/OLB needs to be able to understand a simple phrase - the one used by Bill Cowher on the Steelers highlight when he's talking to Greg Lloyd:

"Rush the Quarterback." If Roth can understand that, he'll be fine.

I'd like to see Zgonina get a chance to compete in training camp. I think Saban's defensive scheme is one that much better suits Jeff's skills than the scheme of the former regime.

beejay05 said:
I never thought about it, utt here is a good chance Vickerson gets some playing time this year. With CHester and Bowens as big question marks, he could definately find teh field.

why is everybody so sure that vickerson will make the team ? he is a 7th rounder, sure he can make it, but it´s not a gimme

These are the players i love to draft because they make the whole world stand on its head in disbelief. I remember Zach Thomas was too small.

I saw an article in SI last year about KC's o-line and I'll never forget a joke that one of the linemen made....What do you call somebody who is too stupid to play on the o-line?...A defensive lineman.....

:(

/former DE...seriously.

Back
Top Bottom