NFLPA to investigate Tua's return from concussion protocol | Page 23 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFLPA to investigate Tua's return from concussion protocol

If the team doctors and the independent Neurologist can't get this right, then there is little reason to trust the entire process. Two groups of professionals should be able to get a standard operating procedure correct, independent of one another.

I absolutely don't trust any 'process' when quacks are involved.

You know if left up to the team, they'd pressure players to unnecessarily risk their health. Do we extend this to other industries? Eliminate OSHA? Hey, factory workers, oil rig workers, etc know the risks.... they can quit if they don't like it.

While there is inherent risk in football, there is nothing wrong with reasonable measures to mitigate the risks. IMO, the teams have demonstrated in the past that they cannot be trusted to do that.
Actually, this happens all the time in other industries. Look at Covid. Everyone was locked down except for "essential" workers, which was seemingly randomly defined, and required said workers to risk themselves or quit. I agree with you on taking reasonable steps to mitigate risk, but what is reasonable to some will not be reasonable to others. Also, pay is typically commensurate with rarity of skill set or danger level of the job. If Tua was evaluated by independent neurologists and passed prior to the game, that would seem to meet the standard, for me at least, of a reasonable mitigation. Furthermore, if he had a back injury he was positive he could press through, then yes, it is not unreasonable to have started him.

If player protection is suddenly ratcheted up, there won't be anybody on the field. Every player plays with multiple injuries all season long that most normal people can't even begin to appreciate. Look at what Jason Taylor played through. In the end, they are expected to perform despite these injuries, and the players are willing to do so, as most of them will earn more in 5 years than the average person makes in a lifetime. How many more reasonable steps should be taken?

Back
Top Bottom